New Life Jacket Regulation - Help Needed

Squire

Hi there everyone.

In the last few months I have seen magazine advertisements state that if you are in a boat under 4.8m you must wear a life jacket at all times from 1st July 2010.

I have searched the Maritime website and other Media and not seen anything in relation to this. Does anyone know either way if its true? Or is it a way for the Manufacturers of the auto-inflating jackets to sell their products?

Fishing Monthly advertised a new Mercury product that inflates if you hit the water and says it will be a requirement to wear one "at all times", hence the reason they are plugging theirs as its a more comfortable jacket to wear.

Hi, as far as I am aware this is law in Victoria but not NSW and I hope it does not come in. You have to wear a PFD1 when crossing a bar here in NSW and yes we stock and sell a few of these inflatable ones because they are comfortable to wear at all times. Of course kids should always wear one and I know mine do when they come with me.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, as far as I am aware this is law in Victoria but not NSW and I hope it does not come in. You have to wear a PFD1 when crossing a bar here in NSW and yes we stock and sell a few of these inflatable ones because they are comfortable to wear at all times. Of course kids should always wear one and I know mine do when they come with me.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey,

If you have the latest Fishing Monthly magazine, in the product review section there is an ad for the new Mercury jackets. The ad states "as of 1st July 2010 all people in a boat of 4.8m or less in NSW are required to wear a life jacket at all times". Not seeing or hearing this anywhere else has made it confusing and I'm wondering if it is Mercury's way of scaring people into buying their product, if so its quite disappointing.

Thanks Huey,

If you have the latest Fishing Monthly magazine, in the product review section there is an ad for the new Mercury jackets. The ad states "as of 1st July 2010 all people in a boat of 4.8m or less in NSW are required to wear a life jacket at all times". Not seeing or hearing this anywhere else has made it confusing and I'm wondering if it is Mercury's way of scaring people into buying their product, if so its quite disappointing.

Hi

read the same ad or article and have also searched the web page of maritime, there is no news of any one having to wear a PFD when in a boat under 4.8 metres, except when crossing a bar as Huey stated, so I am starting t think the way you are and that Mercury are false advertising. Fishing Monthly should investigate this and if un-true should get Mercury to apologies.

We all know that PFDs save lives and that one should be worn, however, just because the mexicans have to does not mean we have to.

Hi

read the same ad or article and have also searched the web page of maritime, there is no news of any one having to wear a PFD when in a boat under 4.8 metres, except when crossing a bar as Huey stated, so I am starting t think the way you are and that Mercury are false advertising. Fishing Monthly should investigate this and if un-true should get Mercury to apologies.

We all know that PFDs save lives and that one should be worn, however, just because the mexicans have to does not mean we have to.

Good to know someone else noticed too!! It's pretty disappointing if they have advertised in this manner, i know this sort of thing happens all the time but it's not good to say that regulations have changed to sell their product.

just read this on the NSW Maritime web page;

When will it be a requirement to wear a lifejacket?

Situation New Requirement from 1 November 2010

Children under 12 years of age • on a vessel less than 4.8 metres at all times • on a vessel less than 8 metres and in the open area of a vessel when underway

Heightened risk boating situations in vessels less than 4.8m

All persons wear a lifejacket:

• at night

• on open (ocean) waters

• on alpine waters

• when boating alone

• when the boat is used as a tender more than 400 metres from shore

Heightened risk situations in all vessels When the master judges a heightened risk exists and requires passengers to put on their lifejacket.

For example in deteriorating weather, in rough seas, at night, if a passenger can’t swim, or when a vessel is broken down

Water sports involving towing All persons wear a lifejacket when being towed on the water, for example wakeboarding or water-skiing Canoe/kayak When greater than 100 metres from an accessible shore in sheltered waters, and at all times in ocean waters

Off the beach sailing vessels, for example centreboard boats and catamarans

When used in open (ocean) waters

Kitesurfing When greater than 400 metres from shore when kiting alone

To read more the web page is

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/wh/lifejacket_reforms.html

click the link and down load the PDF, 12 pages.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

My first post, so thanks for all the posts I have read up to now on the sly.

I had a read of the doc at: http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/wh/Lifejacket_Reforms_Report.pdf

It specifically states: "The lifejacket reforms detailed in this paper will take effect in

NSW from 1 November 2010, with a 12 month advisory period."

I think this means that its not law until 1 November 2011, i.e. after the 12 month advisory period ends, does anyone have any better information?

Thanks

So, in that case, as my boat is 4.0m, it looks like I am going to have to invest in an inflatable lifejacket in the next 2 1/2 weeks...

:wacko: as I fish alone sometimes and occasionally at night but I don't want to wear a bulky lifejacket all the time.

Heightened risk boating situations in vessels less than 4.8m All persons wear a lifejacket:

* at night

* on open (ocean) waters

* on alpine waters

* when boating alone

I don't particularly have an issue with that and have been meaning to geat aroudn to it for a while.

How much are auto inflatable lifejackets? If they get wet in the rain, or I fall over climbing into the boat in knee deep water (as I sometimes do! :wacko: ) do they auto inflate?

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Here in Taz it has been law for some time to wear a life jacket in a boat under 6 metres whilst underway, which seems to work pretty well as you can throw it off when you get where you are going. Very Interesting how none of the states are aligned with these laws. It would be far simpler if one law was mandated then there would be no confusion after all Water is water and drowning is drowning.

The police have been out and about on their jetskies spreading the word about the new changes and checking you have a PFD in the boat, I told him my boat was fourteen feet, confused the hell out of him, word is your allowed one warning for the first twelve months.

Edited by zook2001

The police have been out and about on their jetskies spreading the word about the new changes and checking you have a PFD in the boat, I told him my boat was fourteen feet, confused the hell out of him, word is your allowed one warning for the first twelve months.

Heard that before, Until you recieve the fine in the mail. :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2:

So, in that case, as my boat is 4.0m, it looks like I am going to have to invest in an inflatable lifejacket in the next 2 1/2 weeks...

:wacko: as I fish alone sometimes and occasionally at night but I don't want to wear a bulky lifejacket all the time.

Heightened risk boating situations in vessels less than 4.8m All persons wear a lifejacket:

* at night

* on open (ocean) waters

* on alpine waters

* when boating alone

I don't particularly have an issue with that and have been meaning to geat aroudn to it for a while.

How much are auto inflatable lifejackets? If they get wet in the rain, or I fall over climbing into the boat in knee deep water (as I sometimes do! :wacko: ) do they auto inflate?

Baz

Yeah they do mate, we had the auto inflate ones at work and everytime they got wet they went off, some with large amount of water others with no more then a light spray. After a couple of weeks they where all replaced with manual ones which got rid of that problem, but if your unconscious and by yourself it could be whole different story.

Hi,

I bought myself and my wife an auto inflatable life jacket about 6 months ago. These are the ones that auto inflate when they hit the water, or you can manually inflate. They are damn expensive approx 200 each.

But..... A standard PFD1 will set you back approx 70, and a manually inflating jacket around 130. So I reasoned that the extra bucks is going to seem insignificant if I or my loved one gets thrown overboard and hits their head on the way out.

I never take mine off when in the boat, enclosed waters or not. Once I've gotten used to it, its not a big deal and does not restrict movement when fishing.

I spoke to my local tackle store yesterday and discussed the pros and cons of auto-inflate versus manual. I have opted to purchase a manual inflate PFD1($100) because I have the option of whether or not to activate it.

If for some reason I manage to find myself in the drink (slip off the bow and flop ungracefully into the shallows), it's simply a case of stand up and sheepishly get back in. I wouldn't opt to activate the vest, but with an auto-inflate I wouldn't have a choice.

I can't predict the weather, and have found myself caught in the occasional downpour. Again, I wouldn't opt to activate the vest, but with an auto-inflate I may not have a choice(?)

Whilst I have heard of countless instances of fishos falling overboard (on the water, at the boatramp or jetty, etc)I don't recall anyone being unconscious, but I certainly don't dispute that it is a potential risk. At the end of the day, the choice (auto v's manual) is yours to make, and you will have to deal with any ramifications arising from that choice.

I agree with fryboy. I have worn these vests for days at a time when fishing in Vic. It never gets taken off, as you are required to wear it when 'underway', which includes drifting while tossing lures. I find them neither restrictive nor uncomfortable.

Cheers

Hodgey

Let's hope they make these manual PFD's in bloody big sizes for the big fishos unlike the shirts etc they make but forget there's BIG people as well.

Now a question regarding above, with this new law coming in, if there isn't a "correct fitting" lifejacket available does this mean big fishos can use that as an excuse for not wearing one? Personally I think i've got enough flotation for me and some of my boat hahaha.

I may be wrong, but I think the automatic life jackets are deployed not by the presence of water as such, but by the pressure of the water. So you'd have to submerge the jacket a certain amount beneath the surface (say 6 inches, maybe more maybe less...) before they'd inflate. That means that they shouldn't inflate if you're in a downpour or just trip over in the shallows.

All that said, I'm not sure of it, I just have a feeling that's how they work...

hi all just a thing to remember with the inflatable pfd is thy will need to be serviced as per manufacturer instructions if this is not done you can get a fine .i manly fish inland and estuary waters so i will be getting a good pfd 2 my kids all wear pfd 1 .pappy

I am very dissapointed with the introduction of this new rule.

People need to take some responsibility for their own actions. If you can't swim or the conditions are dangerous then you should have the common sense to put a lifejacked on.

This law does not take into account experience nor the seaworthyiness of boats. There are plenty of 5m shit boxes out there that are no where near as safe as the new 4.5m models on the market.

I go fishing to relax. I have my safety equipment and i know when to use it. Why do I have to wear a jacket every time i head offshore or fish the harbour bymyself.

Our society and its obsession with regulation is pathetic. Next thing they will be wanting to hold our hands when we go to the toilet.....

I completely agree. This absoltely shits me to tears, its fine if you think you need to wear a life jacket in those conditions to feel safe, wear it. Problem solved. Why force it upon everyone? There has never been a single time day or night in the harbour that i have felt unsafe. If i did i would know where they are and put it on. Same offshore. Why should i have to wear a lifejacket when im fishing for jews up past rosie bridge where i have the shore 10m either side of me? Nanny state at its finest. Should be an option not a requirement.

Fishraider has been spreading the word since July this year too. Please vote in the poll

POLL ON NEW LIFEJACKET LAWS

There has been a general announcement across all areas of the forums about this.

Could you please put all comments into that poll post so that we can be part of the consultative process. I will be sending the link to this poll and its comments. Try to make the comments constructive and not just "its gives me the shits" or "it's a nanny state". Remember this is about SAFETY.

The pro bream tournament fishos HAVE to wear one to compete and they don't kick up a stink.

Get those comments into the poll please. As a very large group of responsible boaters I think we can be of use.

mrsswordie

Fishraider has been spreading the word since July this year too. Please vote in the poll

POLL ON NEW LIFEJACKET LAWS

There has been a general announcement across all areas of the forums about this.

Could you please put all comments into that poll post so that we can be part of the consultative process. I will be sending the link to this poll and its comments. Try to make the comments constructive and not just "its gives me the shits" or "it's a nanny state". Remember this is about SAFETY.

The pro bream tournament fishos HAVE to wear one to compete and they don't kick up a stink.

Get those comments into the poll please. As a very large group of responsible boaters I think we can be of use.

mrsswordie

If you read my full post you will see that I did describe why it 'gives me the shits' as did everyone else who gave negative comments on it. All have stated in some way or another that it should be an option rather than a rule. Yes it is about safety but this is going beyond that by forcing us to wear them in times that are not 'unsafe' at all. Yes pro breamers accept that they have to wear them because that is a part of the rules of the comp, if they dont then they just dont compete and they can go fish somewhere else. Same as a motor bike racer accepts that they have to wear a helmet to compete. Its an organised event so the organisers have to limit their liability. General boating is not such an event. I think it is just going to far and is not attempting to correct a problem that does not actually exist.

And sorry, I will direct these comments to the appropriate forum section rather than hijacking this thread!!

Edited by dicko

This is an issue of obvious interest to a lot of members. Slanging off, while understandable when people feel very strongly about something, is no way to have your concerns taken seriously by the people who make these sorts of regulations.

Mrsswordfishemran made a rational, balanced reply and gave everyone direction towards a coordinated response so that a stronger representation of Fishraiders' collective views can be pulled together

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=49822

You've chosen to ignore that opportunity.

Thread Closed

Slinky :ranting2: