Chemical Spill In Major Georges River Tributary

musty

Hey Guys and Girls...

Well this news is two days old but ive been flat out doing 14 hr days at work the last two weeks ive had no idea whats going on in the world!

There has been yet another chemical spill into Prospect Creek courtesy of the industrial complexes out west.

The last time this happened was maybe 10 or so years ago and the consequences of it was very bad. Natives such as eels, bass, gudgeons, bullrout, bream, mullet, and even the introduced pest Carp were all killed and rotting on the banks for many many weeks.

I hope its not as bad as it looks in this instance!

It has a MAJOR potential to affect the wildlife and fishery of chipping norton lakes and the georges river in general.

To say im pee'd off would be putting it politley

My link

Musty

Thats shocking news mate!

What a friggin joke, im sure if there was a chemical spill around the harbour they would be doing everything they could to contain it.

It happens in western sydney and no one wonts anything to do with it, bloody disgusting :ranting2:

Poor upper Georges copping it again.

• 1 month later...

I cant believe that there is no system or organisation put in place to deal with a disaster like this and try and contain it. Its hard to believe that no one wanted to know about it or took responsibility for trying to contain it.

What an absolute tragedy.Im with you musty - to say that I am pi##ed off is putting it mildly. this is a disgrace.

pete.

Edited by tide'n'knots

And every body (including me!) has been windering why the river has been so quiet lately!

:1badmood:

Who the F*** was responsible and how do we get even, or som recompense?

I have not seen anything on this in the mainstream media at all.

Chris

http://www.holroyd.nsw.gov.au/your_council/news_public_comment/news/chemical_spill_at_prospect_creek

There you go boys - perhaps one of you will follow it up and report back to us biggrin2.gif

I was beginning to think nobody else cared about this waterway apart from myself but some of you have noticed this concerning post at last.

Thankyou for the link Donna.

Although it does sound like a bit of cop out, to be fair to all involved its not REALLY something which can be contained or reversed especially once it seeps off a hard surface and into the land or water ways.

The important part in this sort of thing is prevention. More steps put in place within industry for this to become virtually impossible to happen. A plastic otto bin tucked away in a corner with "spill kit" written on it wouldnt be as effective as a purpose built warehouse totally surrounded by a drain which fed down into an underground tank to catch this sort of thing b4 it runs off- Thats just one simple example.

The good news is (i think), i have been monitoring the propect creek nearby to where i live and although dirty from the rains it doesnt look too bad. The previous chemical spill had dead fish EVERYWHERE! it was an eye opener to see how many large healthy fish actually lived in what we had always thought was a polluted dead waterway. As for the fishing in the Georges river i'd put that down to the time of year and water temps. We have had plenty of rain to flush things out this year so with a bit of luck this summer could be a cracker!

Musty

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Musty, thank you for the post....

Since i started fishing the Chipping Norton area, couple of days ago, i decided to do some research in regards to water quality, BUT more so to find out if it Ok to consume fish from the local waterways.... Then i stumbled across your post...

What can i say, it horrible, like you said, hopefully the heavy rains have washed it away and diluted the toxins.....

Lets hope for a fast recovery....

Might bump into you one day ;)