New Changes To Wearing A Life Jacket Or Pfd

Seems like a MASSIVE overkill to me and im actually very annoyed about it! I cant believe that a majority of boaters agreed with these changes as they stated. Some seem very ridiculous, for instance you must wear a lifejacket when fishing in open waters on a boat less than 4.8m - that means if i want to go fish at the quarantine marker everyone will have to wear a life jacket, and if boating alone in any water il have to wear one. Seems pointless to me, why should i have to put on a life jacket if i want to go have a flick for flatties up past roseville. Kind of killing the fun of boating in my opinion.

It seems there are always more rules and never less. I can see that most people would not wear a life jacket in a heightened risk situation unless forced, but I dont like the idea of the goverments taking away peoples ability to think and apply there own judgement which they seem to do in all aspects of life.

I am also concerned about any additional ramifacations for the skipper if there is a fatality. If he did not think there was a heightened risk but a court decides that was the case (with crystal clear hindsight). What happens then. We also all know many family members would make it difficult for the skipper to even suggest a lifejacket should be worn.

Not much will change for me as my boat is over 4.8m and the kids have always worn a lifejacket.

Thanks SwampyWolf for posting the new requirements that require the compulsory wearing of life jacket/s under certain circumstances.. Proper notification to all and sundry of rules and regulations in fishing and boating or updates and changes to same for that matter has always been a problem as not everybody owns or uses a computer...

In my opinion these changes are are a step in the right direction, long overdue and are the result of a decision made by sensible people who acted on past statistics in the interests of saving lives on the water...

I think the future design of life jackets would eventually amount to the production of a much more comfortable life jacket for those boaties who elect to wear a life jacket at all times.. The problem with inflatable life jackets at this stage seems to be reliabilty as to whether they are going to inflate or not for whatever the reason when it really counts...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

So as I read it I can kitesurf in a 30 knot southerly & 4 mtr seas 350mtrs offshore by myself without a lifejacket & I'm safe, yet I can't go bream fishing by myself in my own boat in a river 30mtrs wide when it's glassed out without a lifejacket?

Makes sense doesn't it? :thumbdown:

Slinky & I will also not be able to go offshore in his 475 Quinnie without wearing a pfd at all times as well.

I won't type here what I think about this.

Cheers,

Grant.

And if I take the boat out by myself I need to wear a jacket but if I take the boat out with Mitch then I don't need to wear it..

Well what could a 8 year old do to help me??? (no offence Mitch)

I think it is a good idea for some changes to the PFD rules.

But they need to be even along the line but that line looks like a wind chart line ie all over the place

If they where serious maybe up the size to 5.5m from 4.8

Wind surfers or kite surfers should have a PFD on at all times. as jet ski riders must do.