Bull Shark Stories From The Georges River And Chipping Norton Lakes

iMick

A client of mine that trains horses at Warwick Farm told me of a story that one hit a horse in Chippo back in the days when they used to train the horses in the river. Another story I heard was that a Bull took a dog near Kelso.

I've seen from docos that they have been found well upstream well into fresh water, so anything is possible.

Anyone ever caught one or heard of one being caught in Chippo or the Georges?

Anyone have any true stories of events concerning Bulls in Chippos or the Georges?

Mick

Not in Georges, but I saw one in Leichardt in the storm water drains earlier this year.

It got stuck chasing a school of Mullet into the shallows on a dropping tide, had to wait for the top of the tide so it could return to the harbour, lol

Not in Georges, but I saw one in Leichardt in the storm water drains earlier this year.

It got stuck chasing a school of Mullet into the shallows on a dropping tide, had to wait for the top of the tide so it could return to the harbour, lol

Wow, that would have been interesting to see.

Maybe we need to start fishing for them Mick and let the media aware of our catches, It could be the answer to getting rid of these fully sick jet skiers from the rivers during the warmer months.

Fishing the goerges all year round, now that would be nice :thumbup:

Mick

Maybe we need to start fishing for them Mick and let the media aware of our catches, It could be the answer to getting rid of these fully sick jet skiers from the rivers during the warmer months.

Mick

I think you're on to something Mick :)

Can't stand skiers, especially when you're trying have a quiet flick and some knucklehead hoons past ya.

Give me the word and I'll start rigging the 15/0 snells.

growing up in georges hall there were always stories in the local paper about dogs being taken while swimming in the river.... they used to have warning signs around the river at lake gillawarna warning of sharks in the water... they are definately still around.

Hey FR's

Bull sharks are the most aggressive and competitive shark species around. Estuarine is their main dangerous habitat.

They will eat anything and can/will hunt in a pack, and they love murky waters.

Hence nearly all the shark attacks on the eastern seaboard are by them.

There are even drawings of them from the first fleet days when they attacked dory's showing occupants beating them off with oars.

I have seen them at Milperra Chipping Norton Harbour Parra River etc.

Used to do inspections at the Warwick Farm stables and yes there were reports of horses taken, and my mate lived overlooking Hen and Chicken Bay and commented many times on the poor doggies that were taken when swimming.

Do not think for one moment that they are not there, they ARE there and they are always there. Its their home.

That's also why all the harbour and other areas have netted bathing areas.

Lake Mac guys be aware since the Pro ban they do not get caught in their nets and they are back in the Lake.

Always remember going down to the Mannering Park fish Co-op as a kid when the fisho's got a shark in the net. They did the axe thing on them.

One should never ever swim or be immersed (ie ski ) in waters of Harbour Georges and Parra River its just a absolute no no.

People who do so are suffering the modern day syndrome of ignorance and "it won't happen to me".

Would I swim in any of these areas = not for a million bucks.

Note also that sharks will enter upper fresh water areas of rivers for periods of time so as to help cleanse barnacles and other sea growths from their skin, they also love chasing mullet in these areas.

Hope I have scared all enough not to swim in these areas as the danger is very very real.

Good news, bull shark fishers go for it :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers

Trapper Tom

Cheers

Trapper Tom

Further to what Tom has said I myself have seen big bull sharks in the Hawksbury River up from Windsor so they can head way upstream...

Was chatting to a chap today that has been fishing Botany Bay for the last 30 years. He just randomly said he has caught many bull sharks over those years. So i guess if there in the bay they can just wonder up the Georges real easy.

Mick

:Funny-Post:

Hi Guys

I agree with Trapper Tom - there is no way I would go swimming in the Georges river .

Back in the 1930's there was a young boy severely mauled by a shark at East Hills and in the early sixties (prior to the dredging for the Chipping Norton Lakes when the water quality was dreadful)I know that there was a couple of dogs taken up behind Warwick Farm.

With the improved water quality and deeper water in the lakes these days there would have to be sharks (apart from some bloody big eels as well) :1yikes:

regards Bill

One should never ever swim or be immersed (ie ski ) in waters of Harbour Georges and Parra River its just a absolute no no.

Trapper Tom

we have had some terrible nights in the parra when the sharks eat every jew you hook ,its even worse when you hook the sharks ,as the jewie gear aint heavy enough for some of those beast,s

weird they never took the any livies only the jew,s,

wont catch me swimming in the parra

Edited by mr magoo

i grew up in Georges Hall not far from the boat ramp. There used to be swimming nets about half way between the boat-ramp/fish and chips shop and Milperra road. Pretty much fell into disrepair in the early 70's as the river got polluted and nobody swam. But they were erected in the 50's i think after several attacks on people. One was a girl who lost both arms and legs(legs, i think). She came back to the neighbor hood in the 70's as she had became famous for paintings she did without her limbs. Pretty much no attacks again until it started to get cleaned up

I remember my dad when he was alive telling me about a woman many years ago who was standing in the water washing her hands and both her arms were bitten off by a shark some where around picnic point ( i think) he use to dance with her sometimes at the local dances around bankstown.From what he told me the georges was renowned for sharks back in the 50s.

pete.

I remember my dad when he was alive telling me about a woman many years ago who was standing in the water washing her hands and both her arms were bitten off by a shark some where around picnic point ( i think) he use to dance with her sometimes at the local dances around bankstown.From what he told me the georges was renowned for sharks back in the 50s.

pete.

True story

Here is the video:

http://aso.gov.au/titles/newsreels/australia-today-man-eater/clip2/

Mick

Interesting site, Mick. Never ceases to amaze me what you can find on the internet. Man, what a powerful tool. Wish I'd had it when I was a kid.

Young ones today don't realise what they have available in regard to communication tools.

Bloody hell, I can still recall the days when the fastest way to get hold of someone was by sending a telegram !!!

Sorry, went off the topic, didn't I.

Tuffy.

i grew up in Georges Hall not far from the boat ramp. There used to be swimming nets about half way between the boat-ramp/fish and chips shop and Milperra road. Pretty much fell into disrepair in the early 70's as the river got polluted and nobody swam. But they were erected in the 50's i think after several attacks on people. One was a girl who lost both arms and legs(legs, i think). She came back to the neighbor hood in the 70's as she had became famous for paintings she did without her limbs. Pretty much no attacks again until it started to get cleaned up

a neighbour of mine grew up with this girl [he is 90 0dd] she lost both arms not her legs and survived while swimming she dived straight into the sharks jaws unlucky but a warning to all be carefull the bull

I'm going to go against the grain of this thread. I love surfing and wake boarding and statistically I'm faaaaaar more likely to break my neck doing either than being attacked by a bull shark or any other shark for that matter. I'm not denying that people get unlucky, but we don't hear calls to ban motorcycles, surfing or any other activity with obvious risk of injury. For some reason the shark attack triggers something in our subconscious and we think irrationally. I'm not suggesting you go for a backstroke with a t-bone in your speedos but if its a warm day I don't see the harm in swimming in a river, although even I wouldn't be keen to do it around dawn and dusk. If more dogs get taken than people (and again I'm skeptical) it's probably because dogs are much smaller than your average person and the shark figures it's in with a chance.

My 2c,

Adam.

Heard of encounters in the Georges river with Bull sharks over the years but remember we are entering their domain, they don't come invade ours so we should expect to be part of the food chain for them if in the water which is their home and hunting grounds.

Cheers,

Leo