Hardtop Conversion For My Trailcraft

Day's Fishin

G'day boy's, Iv'e been wanting to convert my trailcraft 5.8 cuddy cabin to a hardtop for a couple of years now. I have searched the net for anyone that has done the same with no luck. Have any of you seen or know of anyone that does it or has had it done. Any input would be appreciated.

Regards Jeff

post-5857-128000961758_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

G'day boy's, Iv'e been wanting to convert my trailcraft 5.8 cuddy cabin to a hardtop for a couple of years now. I have searched the net for anyone that has done the same with no luck. Have any of you seen or know of anyone that does it or has had it done. Any input would be appreciated.

Regards Jeff

Hey mate, I have a 2007 5.7m trailcraft trailblazer which we a currently building a hardtop for.A lot of time has gone into desiging the structure and using the existing rocket launcher for shape and strength.We are going to have 3 poles from the dash and cutting the rocket launcher and moving it to the back.Its not finished yet might be done in a month.We are half way there.I've post some pics you can take a look at.

Cheers and goodluck

post-7801-128160418662_thumb.jpg

post-7801-128160424199_thumb.jpg

post-7801-128160427613_thumb.jpg

Hey mate, I have a 2007 5.7m trailcraft trailblazer which we a currently building a hardtop for.A lot of time has gone into desiging the structure and using the existing rocket launcher for shape and strength.We are going to have 3 poles from the dash and cutting the rocket launcher and moving it to the back.Its not finished yet might be done in a month.We are half way there.I've post some pics you can take a look at.

Cheers and goodluck

More Pics

post-7801-128160453936_thumb.jpg

post-7801-128160457438_thumb.jpg

post-7801-128160473489_thumb.jpg

Edited by get-the-net

Hi Jeff, why the hell would he won't to cover the gap between screen and roof,

If he is taking water in there I would be changing boats,my screen and aluminium

roof is wider and I don't take any water,except into a very heavy chop.

cheers Rick.

That's pretty close to what I had in mind. Looking goodthumbup.gif What is your plane for the gap between the screen and the roof? Are you going to put clears, solid screen or leave it open?

Regards Jeff

Hey Jeff, New clears will be made once everything is finished which should be in about a month

Hi Rick, a couple of reasons, 1 all my electronics are on the dash so they would get wet when under way and raining as would anyone sitting on 2 forward seats, 2 its very cold at 3/4 am with wind fog etc and a open area in front of you heading outside, 3 when heading in after a day outside and running into heavy seas the best of boats take spray etc over the top and that's exactly when you don't want an open area in front of you, 4 when fishing and raining its a dry place to watch your troll lines from without rain belting in at you from all sides, plus a lot of other reasons.

Regards Jeff

Edited by Day's Fishin

Hi Guys,

Im new to this site but I am also going to get a hard top fitted to my 5.8 Trailblazer.

Im a bit curious where you guys fish because im in Tassie n live fish out of EagleHawk Neck where it can get a bit rough.

I am going a full screen cause I have lost count of the times when a wave has crashed straight onto the screen including a few times when the white water has gone straight over the into the back of the boat.

So far my boat has handled everything the elements has thrown at me and I am very happy with it.

Have any of you trailcraft owners had problems with broaching in heavy following seas though?? if you have try trimming up the motor a bit I have fount that helps a lot.

Regards

Nigel

Hi All,

Been reading this post with interest as thinking of doing the same to my 595 sportscab,will be watching the progress very closely as it looks the goods!

Nigel,

Never had trouble with broaching but mine tends to want to bury it's nose in real slop,power out no worries but wondered if this was common on Trailcrafts or is it something I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Wayne

The only fault I've found with mine is when I have 4 on board and the heavens open up and all get up under the bimi against the dash water tends to flood into the cab. During a fishing comp a couple of years ago a 6.1 trailcraft came close to sinking during a freak storm with 4 anglers on board.

Regards Jeff

Update from a full days welding yesterday.Its all coming together slowly

More updates from a days work today.All posts are welded and both support brackets are finished.We're nearly on the home stretch, now some grinding and sanding to get it ready for the powder coaters.Couple of noisy nights should do it. hahaha neighbours!!!!!!!

post-7801-128236857246_thumb.jpg

post-7801-128236858318_thumb.jpg

post-7801-128236859503_thumb.jpg

More updates from a days work today.All posts are welded and both support brackets are finished.We're nearly on the home stretch, now some grinding and sanding to get it ready for the powder coaters.Couple of noisy nights should do it. hahaha neighbours!!!!!!!

post-7801-128236889479_thumb.jpg

Hi Nigel, nothing much except fishing gear. The time it happened to me I a had a very large fibreglass esky (1.2m x 650m x 800m) placed in the middle of the open deck. This was quiet heavy as it had a lot of ice and fish in it but should have offset the four of us that were up the front. I have considered the possibility that it was the culprit so removed it the last 2 outing's however we have not run into foul weather on those occasion's. Will have to wait and see.

Regards Jeff

Fella's Champion job,bet you cant wait to get it coated and on the water,you blokes in the trade or just DIY?

Cheers

Wayne

Hey wayne,I'm a builder by trade and 1 of my mates is a mechanic and the other a concreter.The concreter has experience in welding same as the mechanic.Me myself, this is the first i have ever welded and it does'nt take long to get the hang of it.If you put your mind to it you can do anything, don't be scared to try anything.Most of the work is in designing everything and trying to vision it in your head.

Cheers