Fiberglassing My Halfcab

stuartf

I`m going to try and revamp my half cabin Mustang. I bought it cheap and thought i`ve got a big task on my hands. I pulled everything off it, called a few boys around pulled it off the trailer turned it upside down and slipped it into the garage on some old tyres. Grinded the patch work off that the previous owner done and seen 3 big holes, then grinded the gelcoat back to give me a starting point to fill the holes then fiberglass the centre to strengthen then gelcoat over the top.Thats my plan.I have some modefiying to do inside when i get it right way up as well.Ill send updated pictures as i get through this ( i think job is the right word) or NIGHTMARE.

074.gifStuball

post-7914-128020372738_thumb.jpg

post-7914-128020375463_thumb.jpg

post-7914-12802037829_thumb.jpg

I`m going to try and revamp my half cabin Mustang. I bought it cheap and thought i`ve got a big task on my hands. I pulled everything off it, called a few boys around pulled it off the trailer turned it upside down and slipped it into the garage on some old tyres. Grinded the patch work off that the previous owner done and seen 3 big holes, then grinded the gelcoat back to give me a starting point to fill the holes then fiberglass the centre to strengthen then gelcoat over the top.Thats my plan.I have some modefiying to do inside when i get it right way up as well.Ill send updated pictures as i get through this ( i think job is the right word) or NIGHTMARE.

074.gifStuball

looking good,keep going youll be proud this summer when your on the water.

074.gifStuball

Hi STUBALL i have done a few repairs recently my self just looking at the photo it looks as if the holes go up well into the wood if this is the case you may have a bit of a rot problem if this is the case you would need to fill the timber with a filler and the run at least 6 layers of glass over the top starting with just covering the broken out area and increase each layer as you go so as to keep the shape and move out about 50mm either side onto the hull. Then i would cut the floor out through the middle the length of the problem area at least and put some timber runners down either side of the rotted peice of timber and thow a couple of layers of glass over it that will re strengthen the timber that has a problem hope this helps :beersmile:

Hi STUBALL i have done a few repairs recently my self just looking at the photo it looks as if the holes go up well into the wood if this is the case you may have a bit of a rot problem if this is the case you would need to fill the timber with a filler and the run at least 6 layers of glass over the top starting with just covering the broken out area and increase each layer as you go so as to keep the shape and move out about 50mm either side onto the hull. Then i would cut the floor out through the middle the length of the problem area at least and put some timber runners down either side of the rotted peice of timber and thow a couple of layers of glass over it that will re strengthen the timber that has a problem hope this helps :beersmile:

Thanks Warnie Where the holes are i cannot put a screwdriver through the spine timber.It seems ok i dont know how. But thanks thats a good idea i might even be able to make a under floor storage space the same time wher one of the holes are.

Kind Regards

Stuball

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cheers Boys

I am pretty happy so far. Still more to go.

I just have to flip it over now, I am just revamping the trailer at the moment.

I fitted new leaf springs,rollers and customized the back end up with new lighting and number plate mounts, instead of taking that dreaded light bar off :1badmood:

And having a ball doin it

Stuball

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Boys

I am pretty happy so far. Still more to go.

I just have to flip it over now, I am just revamping the trailer at the moment.

I fitted new leaf springs,rollers and customized the back end up with new lighting and number plate mounts, instead of taking that dreaded light bar off :1badmood:

And having a ball doin it

Stuball

Looks like your oing a great job, good painting too