Abbott Pledges End To Marine Park Expansions

That would have to be the most reasonable answer to proposed marine parks that I have heard from a politician.

I know who I'll be voting for & it won't be the greens or the party that gets their preferences! :thumbdown:

Cheers,

Grant

That would have to be the most reasonable answer to proposed marine parks that I have heard from a politician.

I know who I'll be voting for & it won't be the greens or the party that gets their preferences! :thumbdown:

Cheers,

Grant

Amen

We have a decision to make in the next couple of weeks.

Lets face it a vote for labour is a vote for the greens and that means bigger marine expansions. A vote for the coalition will mean at the very least a stay of execution and hopefully some input into the parks we want. Colbeck from the nationals did a hell of a lot with the support of the fisherman to overturn the mako ban and he was standing with Abbott at the announcement.

I will be voting for the coalition in the upper house and the shooters and fishing party in the senate. Both these parties have at least made helpful comments for the fishing cause. The shooters and fishing party traditionally support labour however because of the deals between the greens and labour they have been left out in the cold. IT IS CRITICALLY impotant that the Greens do NOT hold the balance of power or then we really are sc....d.

Think long and hard guys this is a pinnacle election.

I must also profess to being an absolute swinging voter and have pretty much voted for all parties in the past, from my observation a coalition shooter/fishings vote is the best option.

Cheers

BIG

I want to fish where I like to fish biggrin2.gif

I will vote for anyone who will keep my dreams alive.

If thats the liberals ??? then so be it.

Cheers Stewy

I don't understand how you say you are going to vote for the shooting or fishing party in the senate which are labour ringin's and you are voting for the coalition in the upper house & expect Abbott (if he gets in to do anything he say"s) Whichever party gets in they will need to know where a lot of their support came from at the grass roots not via some offbeat 1 agenda party. It's through sites such as this to let them know what the people are talking about. The best way to get their attention is by what sites like this are doing & having poll's on everything to do with the government & fishing & keep on doing it whether there's an election or not. The politicians know that every Tom, Dick and Harry come out of the wood work around election time and they bank on them going away after the election. It's up to people like the Raiders to keep the pressure up all the time until they get the picture. Sorry to ramble on but like all of you my fishing is the only great free past time I have and I don't want that to be taken away from me by some group in Canberra that wouldn't know the difference between a Bic pen or a Big G.T.

Regards Jeff

I don't understand how you say you are going to vote for the shooting or fishing party in the senate which are labour ringin's and you are voting for the coalition in the upper house & expect Abbott (if he gets in to do anything he say"s) Whichever party gets in they will need to know where a lot of their support came from at the grass roots not via some offbeat 1 agenda party. It's through sites such as this to let them know what the people are talking about. The best way to get their attention is by what sites like this are doing & having poll's on everything to do with the government & fishing & keep on doing it whether there's an election or not. The politicians know that every Tom, Dick and Harry come out of the wood work around election time and they bank on them going away after the election. It's up to people like the Raiders to keep the pressure up all the time until they get the picture. Sorry to ramble on but like all of you my fishing is the only great free past time I have and I don't want that to be taken away from me by some group in Canberra that wouldn't know the difference between a Bic pen or a Big G.T.

Regards Jeff

Talking like a book Jeff-this is not the election to be hedging your bets on,that's happened too much in the past. Edited by Dave B

Problem for the shooters/fishing party is they cannot make deals with labour because the greens have stiched up all the preferences.

That effectively means the shooters fishing party are out on their own for this election and will make it very hard for them to gain seats alone. My hope is that they can stich up some preference deals with the coalition to get a couple of senators in to spoil the green strangle hold on the balance of power. Lets not kid ourselselves a vote for Labour in this election is a vote for the greens and here comes 40% Marine parks, not in desert regions but in reef, wreck and fish rich grounds. Surely we have to stick together on this if you love fishing.

As much as i truly dislike Tony and what he stands for, the libs will get my vote this year. I have never voted lib and hopefully will never have to do it again. My vote will not count as i live in a very strong labor/greens electorate. It will just be a protest in regards to fishing and marine parks. My senate vote is undecided with the greens set to hold the balance of power i am unsure what to do. There was a time when the greens got my vote. Not any more. If they backed of the marine park stuff they might get it again but that is highly unlikley. I have no problem with a marine park that DOESNT exclude rec fishos. IMHO the pros have got to go.

I told my father this last night at his bday dinner and he refused to speak to me all night.

As much as i truly dislike Tony and what he stands for, the libs will get my vote this year. I have never voted lib and hopefully will never have to do it again. My vote will not count as i live in a very strong labor/greens electorate. It will just be a protest in regards to fishing and marine parks. My senate vote is undecided with the greens set to hold the balance of power i am unsure what to do. There was a time when the greens got my vote. Not any more. If they backed of the marine park stuff they might get it again but that is highly unlikley. I have no problem with a marine park that DOESNT exclude rec fishos. IMHO the pros have got to go.

I told my father this last night at his bday dinner and he refused to speak to me all night.

Your senate vote will still count despite whether your in a safe seat or not.

Hi all

Just to clarify a few points.

The Fishing Party IS NOT part of or related to the Shooters & Fishers

or Australian Fishing & Lifestyle Party.

It has been unfortunate that APATHY and a party registration technicality hitch has beat us this time around so we are only standing a candidate in the seat of Paterson for Port Stephens, being Paul Hennelly at number 7 on the ballot.

In addition to that we were to have stood some Senate candidates in Qld and NSW but the Coalition MPA Policy is good enough for us to back (to keep our powder dry until 24 March 2011 in NSW), so we are recommending that fishos (even rusted on ALP supporters) place the Greens last and ALP second last on any ballot paper and support the Coalition.

If this offends anybody then so be it.

Hi all

Just to clarify a few points.

The Fishing Party IS NOT part of or related to the Shooters & Fishers

or Australian Fishing & Lifestyle Party.

It has been unfortunate that APATHY and a party registration technicality hitch has beat us this time around so we are only standing a candidate in the seat of Paterson for Port Stephens, being Paul Hennelly at number 7 on the ballot.

In addition to that we were to have stood some Senate candidates in Qld and NSW but the Coalition MPA Policy is good enough for us to back (to keep our powder dry until 24 March 2011 in NSW), so we are recommending that fishos (even rusted on ALP supporters) place the Greens last and ALP second last on any ballot paper and support the Coalition.

If this offends anybody then so be it.

hank you for the clarification Bob.

I was under the impression that Paul Hennelly was running as an independent and I wasn't aware that the Australial Fishing & Lifestyle party was running federally. I have have had a look and you are correct.

I am not affiliated to any political party and thought the shooters fishers was the only federal fishing party running, my apologies.

My only concern is that yet again the vote will be split and this in simple basic politics 101. When you have inferior numbers (as the Greens do) to the total fisherman out there, then encourage the creation of many similar parties of your opponent to split the vote. And the Greens have done this to us masterfully, WHY?

If you combined the Fishing party vote with the shooter party vote then we would of had 3 senators in the NSW parliament instead of 2. I just don't get it why can we not see the need for a single voice with a proper board of diverse fishing opinions to formulate good strong policy.

Agree with the shooters or not, the NSW parliament took away the right to own self loading guns and a single party was formulated. I suspect they have their own internal battles however the policy and appearance to the community is one.

I understand the amount of work behind the scenes that guys like yourself and others like RECFISH etc...do BUT unity can only be the way forward. You owe that to the millions of kids and parents that bond together through the time spent holding a fishing pole.

I certainly don't understand the politics behind the fishing voice but till present it has not transformed into political success. My greatest concern is that in the NSW election there could be up to 5 fishing style parties to vote for and that will be catastrophic for our cause.

I formed TFP with a bunch of Newcastle guys back in 2000 because there was NO ONE supporting fishing including the Shooters (they were backing the ALP and I still have my doubts). APATHY and opposition even within my own fishing ranks was rife so now there are as you say 5 seeking the fishing vote. Fishos are their own worst enemy with too many egos and different ideas.

I had my say for a number of years in Macquarie St and on every forum I might add and tried to get in the system but the doors were shut. Now it may be too late.

And that was a full time exercise in most states as well where some of the arguments against getting a political voice was unbelievable.

Edited by BOB_SMITH

My husband and i usually read the site, rather than post as we are not really very strong fisherman but rather enjoy the outdoors and good company.

Having read the posts in this area i would have thought that the one common theme to the desired end result is unity.

Bob, while not meaning to belittle your efforts or enthusiasm, we would have thought it important that the vote should not be split and the fishing fraternity would have learnt to stick together and show a strong united front.

Without a combined effort the desired goal seems unlikely.

My husband and i usually read the site, rather than post as we are not really very strong fisherman but rather enjoy the outdoors and good company.

Having read the posts in this area i would have thought that the one common theme to the desired end result is unity.

Bob, while not meaning to belittle your efforts or enthusiasm, we would have thought it important that the vote should not be split and the fishing fraternity would have learnt to stick together and show a strong united front.

Without a combined effort the desired goal seems unlikely.

Elanor, having one fishing party would have seen the votes not split but as I said big egos got in the way and I don't believe anybody can or should blame The Fishing Party