Sign in to follow this  
Stacer560

Beware - New Thiefs

Gents,

I was planning to do some work on my boat this weekend, then noticed someone has used bolts cutters / pliers to cut all my cables from the engine, preparing to steal the outboard.

This was confirmed by my mechanic saying this was the start of an attempted theft but was cut short due to being interupted. This is one of many times he has heard / known of this happening.

Now i have to get all my cables and steering cable replaced.

Funnily enough, i have no block, so the poor bloke would of taken an engine that is useless and would of cost him money to replace the block. Boat has since been moved, so goodluck whoever it was battling with 3 rotties at the yard who are blood hungry!

I think its time, with all these stolen rigs and engines, that maritime introduce like a pink/blue slip system where engines and HIN numbers are checked against registrations. I dont mind paying an extra $20 a year from NSW Maritime to have a station where boats are checked (or every two years)before registration. And no not one of those systems where every tom dick and harry can issue the same slip, so the dodgies can come out passing re births, one controlled by authority and reputable boat sellers.

Think about it, how easy is it to steal a rig / engine and go un noticed. Different colour, rego numbers, canopy and off you go. fishing away enjoying someone elses boat, while they are left with the excess / lost money.

I think $20 on a pink slip, rather than annual increases on your insurance due to increase boat theft.

Your thoughts?

Gents,

I was planning to do some work on my boat this weekend, then noticed someone has used bolts cutters / pliers to cut all my cables from the engine, preparing to steal the outboard.

This was confirmed by my mechanic saying this was the start of an attempted theft but was cut short due to being interupted. This is one of many times he has heard / known of this happening.

Now i have to get all my cables and steering cable replaced.

Funnily enough, i have no block, so the poor bloke would of taken an engine that is useless and would of cost him money to replace the block. Boat has since been moved, so goodluck whoever it was battling with 3 rotties at the yard who are blood hungry!

I think its time, with all these stolen rigs and engines, that maritime introduce like a pink/blue slip system where engines and HIN numbers are checked against registrations. I dont mind paying an extra $20 a year from NSW Maritime to have a station where boats are checked (or every two years)before registration. And no not one of those systems where every tom dick and harry can issue the same slip, so the dodgies can come out passing re births, one controlled by authority and reputable boat sellers.

Think about it, how easy is it to steal a rig / engine and go un noticed. Different colour, rego numbers, canopy and off you go. fishing away enjoying someone elses boat, while they are left with the excess / lost money.

I think $20 on a pink slip, rather than annual increases on your insurance due to increase boat theft.

Your thoughts? great idea the sooner the better ray the bull

I am probably in the minority, but I would be sceptical that it would be just another fee/license/rego/insurance/permit/inspection/tax eg: revenue raiser. It would be nothing more then an major hassle having to hook up the boat and run it down to an inspection station which would no doubt only operate during normal buisness hours.

We have pink slips for cars and this doesn't deter theives. Maybe I would have a differant opinion if I was a victim.

Bleeding green - Pink slips for vehicles are different, as when people rebirth cars mostly they are repairable write offs and the damaged parts are swapped with the car they steal. So technically VIN numbers are the same.

It would be harder to rebirth a boat, as the hin is printed into the boats hull on aluminium, and rewelding an aluminium hull would be unaccepted as sea / water worthy. However, engines are never checked.

All i was stating is that, who is monitoring engines to boats? When a maritime officer pulls you over for random check, they are more worried about legal catch limits, licenses, and thats all they check. Whereas if in a car a police officer pulls you over and suspects wrong doing, do an engine, vin and rego check.

Now i have a stacer, whos to say i dont go steal another stacer, lets say the 510 model, and put the same rego number on it and a 560 sticker? Whos to know. They wont measure it or ask questions. And as for engines, i could whack a stolen 90 e tec and never be checked for it?

I know this is because someone has attempted to steal my motor i raised this, but think about it, why do you think people steal boats and motors... Never checked!

If you question about revenue, well it never ends. We will always pay more, but would you rather pay $25 for a boat inspection, or $100 extra on your car, home, caravan, greenslip, contents insurance due to insurance claims increases?

But like you say, i guess when someone attempts to steal something from your boat, you will feel the same.

Bleeding green - Pink slips for vehicles are different, as when people rebirth cars mostly they are repairable write offs and the damaged parts are swapped with the car they steal. So technically VIN numbers are the same.

It would be harder to rebirth a boat, as the hin is printed into the boats hull on aluminium, and rewelding an aluminium hull would be unaccepted as sea / water worthy. However, engines are never checked.

All i was stating is that, who is monitoring engines to boats? When a maritime officer pulls you over for random check, they are more worried about legal catch limits, licenses, and thats all they check. Whereas if in a car a police officer pulls you over and suspects wrong doing, do an engine, vin and rego check.

Now i have a stacer, whos to say i dont go steal another stacer, lets say the 510 model, and put the same rego number on it and a 560 sticker? Whos to know. They wont measure it or ask questions. And as for engines, i could whack a stolen 90 e tec and never be checked for it?

I know this is because someone has attempted to steal my motor i raised this, but think about it, why do you think people steal boats and motors... Never checked!

If you question about revenue, well it never ends. We will always pay more, but would you rather pay $25 for a boat inspection, or $100 extra on your car, home, caravan, greenslip, contents insurance due to insurance claims increases?

But like you say, i guess when someone attempts to steal something from your boat, you will feel the same.

Most people who are into re-birthing are in it for the money, they aren't stealing boats or outboards so they can use it themselves. I would imagine without having any facts to back me up, the theives who would be dis couraged from stealing by having a yearly inspection are those who are going to knowingly fit a stolen outboard to their boat. Probably looking at maybe less then 10% of thefts. They are probably the oportunist thief too, who would see the boat sitting in someone's front yard and think 'gee, I really want that motor more then the current owner, plus my outboard is cactus'.

In any case though, you must have been devasted to find your rig was not only targeted, but damaged as a result and has now cost you dollars to get it up and running again just becuase of someoe's dirty fingers. So I can certainly see where you are coming from.

Bleeding Green i understand where you are comming from to. There is no simple way of fixing this issue, but think about it, boating marketing has no real monitoring of what is going on.

I even have a friend whos rego says 9.9hp, but has a 40hp on his rig for the last 5 years and never been caught.

As soon as you modify a car with a different motor, it is taken off the street.

I dont think my motor was targeted for re birthing. I believe my motor was going to replace the same model motor on another rig,that someone couldnt afford the $5000 for a second hand, and no one would notice it missing. Or to even change the power head unit for parts.

My boat was too secured to latch up and tow, and plan b was attempted.

Now they will need a plan c, cause plan b is out the window, boat is gone!

Plan C should be what Plan A should have been in the first place; go out and work for it like the rest of the law abiding public. Scum Bags. My opinion, the best way to stop, or reduce criminal activity is harsher penalties for those caught. I'd have no problem with a government who imposes a $10,000 fine for such an offence. If the perpetrator can't afford the bill they can go and work for it till it's paid off. But our governments are too weak. Apologies for taking thread off topic.

Stacer 560 sorry to hear about the attempted theft of your boat.

Motor car thefts and security has got so strong that thieves are stealing boats much more.

In fact boat theft is up 500% according to Club Marine

Boat thieves are selfish

These selfish people couldn't care who they hurt and whether they are pro's or ametures is neither here nor there. They are still thieves and deserve to be in Gaol.

I have been throufgh all this as my Trailcraft 540 sportscab with a 90 e-tech on a felk dual axle trailer was stolen from my front yard by profenionals.

They stpole my cpoup[ling lock which apparently is useless against a pro.

I think we need to make the registration of boats a national thing.

State by state we have difernt rules and eak links in the chain.

Some boats have data dot technology some don't. Some states record HIN numbers and check other states others don't.

When on the road Police can scan your number plate and know if you are registered, who the owner is, what the license number of the owner is and so on.

Boats need a similar technology.

It needs to carry from the trailer, to the hull to the engine and be connected to the license holder.

Queensland has the weakest rules of all with crims aiming to rebirth boats there because they are so far behind.

Club Marine are starting to push for a National HIN number recording and checking system .

There is a write up in their current magazine.

But it needs to go further.

I don't know the answers, as every soloution presents a new problem

i have seen the water police at our boat ramp last easter 2009 and they checked all boat #s ,engine #s and logged all info into a log,they came by car not boat and did a very good job but i guess they are undermanned,cause i havnt seen them since except on the water where they do the #s check and look at motor to see if it matches whats on your rego,i know some of the water police at rozelle view the raider site so maybe one of them might post something on here to let us know how and what they do to limit the bludging thiefs.

i have seen the water police at our boat ramp last easter 2009 and they checked all boat #s ,engine #s and logged all info into a log,they came by car not boat and did a very good job but i guess they are undermanned,cause i havnt seen them since except on the water where they do the #s check and look at motor to see if it matches whats on your rego,i know some of the water police at rozelle view the raider site so maybe one of them might post something on here to let us know how and what they do to limit the bludging thiefs.

Our contacts at Marine Area Command will certainly be letting us know from time to time about activities and feedback to us any info on recoveries of boats and marine theft.