The Cooks River Fires Up !

Its been a while since I have been out with Johnno and we always have a great time irrespective of the fishing.

We had planned to fish today and see if we could get onto a few fish with lures as I have been blackfishing a fair bit lately.

We decided to hit the Cooks River today as the weather looked great and the recent rains hadnt dirtied the water at all.

6am at the ramp and we were off in search of bream,trevally,flatties and jews.

We had a arsenal of lures to play with and started off with the trusty blades but after an hour of fruitless casting with not even one bite we decided to change to plastics.I thought that the blood worm squidgees might do the trick on a 1/12th oz jig head and first cast I was in yahoo.gif A nice bream and Johnno changed over straight away and the hits came thick and fast with plenty of bream and heaps of flatties.We got monstered a couple of times and got smashed up big time !!.Johnno was saying that he had never seen or caught a trevally and on one of my retrieves my little squidgee got belted and took off like a rocket,I thought it was a good bream but it turned out to be a nice trevally.We kept on catching more bream and even had a double hook up and while there were no whoppers on the bream front it sure is fun catching them on light gear.

We turned back towards home as the tide changed and Johnno gets a good hit and low and behold he gets his first ever trevally and it was great to see him rewarded for his efforts.

Abit further on we scored a few more nice bream and then Johnnos gets a massive hit and zzzzzzzz on a blade and I call it for a school jewie.Johnno played it expertly tiring it out and bugger me if he beats his old PB by more than 10 cms,high fives all round and a near 50cm trevor to Johnno..well done mate.

We continued on with more bream and called it a day around 2.30pm.

Fantastic day out Johnno and your coffee and company was once again very very welcome.

post-256-128133923418_thumb.jpg

post-256-128133924332_thumb.jpg

post-256-128133925049_thumb.jpg

post-256-128133925745_thumb.jpg

post-256-12813392647_thumb.jpg

post-256-128133927211_thumb.jpg

post-256-128133928012_thumb.jpg

post-256-128133928741_thumb.jpg

post-256-1281339295_thumb.jpg

post-256-12813393029_thumb.jpg

post-256-128133931019_thumb.jpg

post-256-128133931678_thumb.jpg

post-256-12813393268_thumb.jpg

post-256-128133933662_thumb.jpg

Cheers Stewy

well what a day

The alarm went early

But we where off with a plan the hit the cooks and we sure did .

With great weather but a cool start we found what the fish would take

And take to it they did with stewy testing out the new combo to great success.

We got hammered by some big fish ripping plastic completely off hooks

And instant bust offs.

It was a day of fish constantly hitting the net

We got a few bream over 30cm

When I got my first trev I was over the moon but then to up my pb in the same day within a hour of the first I was chuffed.

Thanks stewy for a great day and a laugh

Also the roast beef sandwiches where just perfect to hit the spot

Edited by johnno

Well done fellas - looks like it was a fantastic day on the water and it appears the fish must have also been impressed by the weather. Johno - congratulations on your first Trevally and your following PB :thumbup: .

I wonder why there are so many fish in the Cooks River at the moment. Did you notice if the water temperature was markedly warmer in the River compared to the Bay?

Looks great out there, i was just wondering if it is CNR only in the Cooks? Also has anyone fished under the bridge near the entrance landbased?

Cheers Matt

For us it is always C&R and that goes for most places for me as well.

I do take a feed of blackfish from time to time.

Regards Stewy

Woo hoo! Good on ya fellas! :yahoo: Congratulations on some new PB's, Johnno, and a very productive day on the water. Lots of fish landed, bustoffs and PB's ... what a great Winter session. The big grins in the photos speaks volumes. :biggrin2: Great to see you out on the water mate. The water is a chilly 11 degrees here :frozen:

Once again, another successful day on the water for you, Stewy ;)

Cheers

Skip

OMG that's a monster trevally :1yikes: ! Sounds like you guys had a great session. What's happened to the blades lately :( ? Maybe the fish are holding higher in the water column to get some sun ...

G'day Stewy/Johno,

I saw you guys at the ramp then up river, i was the guy in the blue quintrex coastrunner.

By the way good catch.

Cheers Charlie.

Why didnt you say you were a Fishraider.

Cheers Stewy

Woo hoo! Good on ya fellas! yahoo.gif Congratulations on some new PB's, Johnno, and a very productive day on the water. Lots of fish landed, bustoffs and PB's ... what a great Winter session. The big grins in the photos speaks volumes. biggrin2.gif Great to see you out on the water mate. The water is a chilly 11 degrees here frozen.gif

Once again, another successful day on the water for you, Stewy wink.gif

Cheers

Skip

Hey Skip ,your status looks like it has changed 1yikes.gif 3000 posts yahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Cheers Stewy

Charlie

Next time yell out

How did you finish up ?

It's amazing how many raiders out there

I only ended up with one flatty then got two bream on plastics back near the ramp under the moored boats on squidgie wrigglers off the water by 8;30am.

Nearly every time i go out i come across a raider!

See you guys next time.

cheers

Very nice catch there. I drove over cooks river bridge at Brighton today about 2:15pm and reckon I seen you guys down there. Would you have been near the bridge at that time. Looks like the boat I seen and had 2 crew members aboard when I was going to pickup from the airport.

Well done on the report and pics Stewy and Johnno sounds like you had an awesome sessionthumbup.gif

Congrats on the new species Johnno and then smashing the pb again a few casts later. That's a nice size Trev and don't they go hard1yikes.gif No luck on the new blades Johnno1fishing1.gif

That looks like a fine outfit there Stewy and how deep were you guys fishing in?

G'day Rob I've been lucky to fish with Johnno before and I can highly recommend these boats and the way their setup.

beersmile.gifBrad

thats awesome i fish the cooks every 2nd day there r some big bream up there usually get them on the wrigglers awesome report guys i think i saw that boat out on the water last noght fishing round the bridge by kyeemagh boat ramp any luck there?

I'm in the market for one soon Do you recommend them?

There are lots of boats out there in varying sizes. but i do enjoy the hornet and how it is set up for me.to fish rivers and estuaries and even into the bay.Stewy loves his poly also which i have fished and enjoy fishing out of also.If possible try to get a ride in some raiders boats in varying sizes.

Very nice catch there. I drove over cooks river bridge at Brighton today about 2:15pm and reckon I seen you guys down there. Would you have been near the bridge at that time. Looks like the boat I seen and had 2 crew members aboard when I was going to pickup from the airport.

there was another tinny fishing bait but

Pretty sure that was us at around that time you said just before we got back to the ramp to call it a day

That's a nice size Trev and don't they go hard1yikes.gif No luck on the new blades Johnno1fishing1.gif

That looks like a fine outfit there Stewy and how deep were you guys fishing in?

beersmile.gifBrad

the first felt like a solid bream but the bigger one felt much bigger and made some big burning runs.

Brad i didn,t throw the new blades as we found something that worked and stuck to it.

The depth varies lots all the way up the cooks

well done boys thats a cracker of a session! any ideas what was busting you up??

pete.

Not really sure but hard to say as you don,t even get a big run out of them.

thats awesome i fish the cooks every 2nd day there r some big bream up there usually get them on the wrigglers awesome report guys i think i saw that boat out on the water last noght fishing round the bridge by kyeemagh boat ramp any luck there?

Scaff i wasn,t out last night we fished early day break to about 2.30pm on the 9th

Edited by johnno