Fly Fishing Help!

dmad_dood

Might have the chance to go fly fishing for trout at the end of the year so was just wondering what line i must get (got a rod and reel from my dad some serious amount of time ago absolutely awesome gear by the looks of it thou :)

Ive also got flys and that sorta stuff, some tips would also be great on general fly fishing i.e casting etc.

Thanks for the help

Hi Johnathon, firstly good on you for giving the flyfishing a go, its by far the most rewarding way to catch fish. Can you tell us some of the rods details such as line weight and length of rod, once we know what you have it will make it easier for us to suggest appropriate gear. If you can get yourself to the blue mountains some time ( katoomba ) I would be happy to take you out for the day to Thommos or lake Lyall and give you some help with your casting, fly selection etc. cheers troutboy

I echo what Troutboy says, very rewarding. Be prepared for a lot of initial frustration but once everything starts to come together it will be amazing.

The best first up tip I can give is to have a few casting lessons with either a professional or an experienced fly fisho. Stopping bad habits right at the outset will save you a lot of the frustration I mentioned, there are also plenty of DVDs out there about casting. Haven't used them myself but they may be worth a look?

Like Troutboy asked, need to know where you intend to fish and what the gear is before more in depth advise can be given, for example Nanooks wonderful reports are river based and would involve vastly different gear than what I would use when chasing Browns at Eucumbene (or any lake).

Hope this helps a little :biggrin2:

Windy

Would there be any chance of a Fishraider fly fishing workshop/social day? wink.gif

Baz

If that is what the members would like ? we could look into it.

Cheers Admin

Would there be any chance of a Fishraider fly fishing workshop/social day? ;)

Baz

Baz you must be reading my thoughts ( or is that just the voices talking to me....!)

A Fishraider fly fishing trip/day would be fantastic.

options?

- Lyall

-TCD

-Kanangra/Kowmung

-Jindy

-Euc

-Swoffing somewhere?.

Geoff, Jamie, Brendon, Slink, ideas?

Probably be best to have it relatively close to Sydney as most members would be based there. Lyell or TCD would be the best, but I love the Snowies and places like Jindy are very use friendly.

Matt

For the record the rod is a 8" 6', and i think the weight is #5 / 6 ? And at the moment the target fish is trout...

Where abouts on the northshore is there to fly fish and what can you fish for?

I also like the idea of having the social for fly fishing!

Are we talking Social how to flyfish or social to actually go flyfishing as there are many who want to learn and only few who already know.

Cheers Stewy.

P.S TCD is not a good venue as it can be downright hard too fish and the walk in prohibits all but the fitter people.

Lyell would be ok as would Pejar near Goulbourn.

Cheers Stewy

Hi all, Lake Lyall would be the best venue for a fly gathering as access is good, the lake is easy to find for those who havent been there before, plenty of available shoreline with room for backcasting and the fish should be returning from spawning and be very hungry and looking to put on condition. I would be happy to help any newbies the best I can on the day rather than fish myself. food for thought.. cheers Jamie

Hi Jonathan, a good all round line to suit your rod would be a 6w weight forward floating line such as a scientific anglers gpx or a rio gold. Flylines are expensive but are the most important part of the set up to get right. If you buy a reputable brand and look after it you will get many years from your line.. cheers jAMIE

Are we talking Social how to flyfish or social to actually go flyfishing as there are many who want to learn and only few who already know.

Cheers Stewy.

P.S TCD is not a good venue as it can be downright hard too fish and the walk in prohibits all but the fitter people.

Lyell would be ok as would Pejar near Goulbourn.

Cheers Stewy

Stewy,

I was thinking of a Social "how to fly fish" (at least initially ;)) I have an outfit but have only had a few throws in the salt and don't really know what I'm doing.

Cheers,

Baz

Guys

Have just joined the site and am impressed how helpfull it is for fisho's wanting to skill up. You were mentioning Thommos or lake Lyall for a fish. I live in the area and fish both. Thommos lately has been producing some big browns up to 60cm, most caught using large bead head woolly or Jindy buggers. Olive or black. Lots of small rainbow rising late afternoon, surface flies/mrs simpsons etc.............. wanta tip... the headwaters of Lyall could possibly find you a trophy fish this time of year. Google search a map and you will see the two main feeder tributaries and how the get there. 'Ofcourse'you can only fish on the lake side until the rivers open.

Nothing... In flyfishing, naming lines 'Freshwater' or 'Saltwater' refers to their taper rather than being about what water it's ok to use it in.

Saltwater lines are usually (big generalisation here) designed to be better for throwing heavier flies, for casting longer distances and for dealing better with wind. It comes at the expense of delicacy.

Freshwater lines are usually (another BIIIG generalisation) designed for more subtle presentations.

With that said, there are an almost infinite number of styles of flyine taper, each of which is designed to behave in a particular way and have certain characteristics. When you're starting out though I wouldn't worry to much about it... as has been said before, a good starting point is a good quality weight-forward 6wt line for your outfit.

One final thing though... you will see some saltwater lines with names like 'Tropic Core' or 'Tropic'. Don't buy one of these unless you'll be fishing in hot climates. These lines are designed to be at their best in terms of flexibility in hot climates when normal lines start to get too soft (which hinders their performance). IN cooler climates a 'Tropic' line is really stiff and hard to handle.

Cheers, Slinky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can i just use a loop to loop connection tying leader on? I just put a surgeons loop on my 12lbs leader to the welded loop in the main line.

Also how much leader should i use?

Hopefully i can start fly fishing soon, just need to learn how to cast, i have absolutely no idea!!!!

Thanks

Jono

Edited by Jonathan_w

Yes, you can use a loop to loop connection. In fact a lot of leaders come with a pre-tied loops and it is pretty easy to tie a loop onto a leader that doesn't have one. Personally I don't use Fly lines with the loops, much prefer to use a nail knot connection, more streamlined.

As for leader length, well that really depends on what you are fishing for, where and how. I am Trout fisho so I tend to use 9' or 12' leader depending on the circumstances, can't speak for saltwater as I haven't dabbled into that with the Fly Rod yet but I am sure someone here can advise. Of course the length of the leader changes when you take into account tippets etc.

Have you looked into getting casting lessons? Best way, a professional (or experienced) can point out the flaws in your casting and really speed up the learning process.

Cheers

Windy

Guest divoted

Would suggest Lyell or tcd.Any thoughts on the time of year.Autumn is good as they prepare to fatten up and are on the chew a bit more.

alot of power boat heads on lyell in summer,tcd may be alright .

leave the mentioned streams to winter!!!!!However there is always the duck,hollanders or tuglow or even Oberon dam.coem to think of it there is alot of places

Brendon

Baz you must be reading my thoughts ( or is that just the voices talking to me....!)

A Fishraider fly fishing trip/day would be fantastic.

options?

- Lyall

-TCD

-Kanangra/Kowmung

-Jindy

-Euc

-Swoffing somewhere?.

Geoff, Jamie, Brendon, Slink, ideas?