Sign in to follow this  
patchy

Browns

been reading posts about browns, dont know if im aloud to ask but i was wondering how to get there, and if a 19ft boat is good enough.

been reading posts about browns, dont know if im aloud to ask but i was wondering how to get there, and if a 19ft boat is good enough.

[/quote

Browns is about 24 mile due east of Botany Bay and yes a 19 footer will be ok. Just keep an eye out on the weather and have all your saftey gear up to date.

Cheers Bentstik

no offence

but if u have to ask these kind of questions

i really dont think u should be taking a boat all the way out to browns

its a long way out and a long way back in

no offence

but if u have to ask these kind of questions

i really dont think u should be taking a boat all the way out to browns

its a long way out and a long way back in

agreed.....mate, do your homework, know that it's an hour a bit there and then the same back, and that's if you don't hit crappy weather

study up on it, learn what to do and what not to do and for at least your first trip, buddy up with another boat that knows it well otherwise you could end up regretting it

thanks for that guys, i am trrying to study up on it, i just couldnt find anything thats why i asked.

Hi mate

maybe do a post and follow someone out there,

make sure your boat has the ability to do at least 60nm on a full tank of fuel (a 20ltr tank of spair fuel won't help if your stuck out there)

there are plenty of good wind reports out there, just never count on just 1.

Life jackets, epirb and flares a must!

And after all that pray the fish are on cause it's a long drive if there not!!!

Chris

I don't wish to be a knocker but maybe if you described or posted a photo of your boat, then there would be a higher chance

of reccomending yes or no and advice to going to Browns.

Like saying would a 4wheel drive make it around the top of the outback. Yes if it is built to certain requirements and has certain modifications.

You need to be able to withstand a certain amount of bugger factor, as in bugger I didn't plan for that. But was prepared for it.

Sudden wind change in direction and strength. Running against the sea can use a higher proportion of fuel compared to cruising back at 25 knots.

Safety gear and back ups with charts for the murphy factor when it rains so hard and the gps dies you run back to home via compass.

Cheers Rowan

I am going to be taking mine out there soon. 5.45m swiftcraft dominator. with a 115hp yammaha from 2007. done about 103 hours.

I have done plenty of Fad runs as a test, and have been to browns quite a bit in my old mans old 38footer, so i have faith.

My boat holds 70 liters of fuel in its tank, and i store an extra 60 litres under the back end of the boat. 4 x 10 litre, and 1 by 20 litre (just so it fits effectivley and out of the way.

On the Fad run, i would go from pittwater, out to broken bay fad, could make it trawling around, doing a day of drifting, even getting to terrigal fad before returning home. Although i would always fill 20 litres into the tank before we would take the journey back to pittwater, i found that i probably wouldnt have needed to add it. (just do it because i dont like the idea of going fast and then the petrol cutting out)

i would say to browns, if i went from the harbour, would be about the same as heading to the fad at broken bay, and back. So an extra 60 litres would be plenty for me.

But i wouldnt go out there if i wasn't with another boat or 2. as you never know what can happen on a sea mountain like this one.

I am going to be taking mine out there soon. 5.45m swiftcraft dominator. with a 115hp yammaha from 2007. done about 103 hours.

I have done plenty of Fad runs as a test, and have been to browns quite a bit in my old mans old 38footer, so i have faith.

My boat holds 70 liters of fuel in its tank, and i store an extra 60 litres under the back end of the boat. 4 x 10 litre, and 1 by 20 litre (just so it fits effectivley and out of the way.

On the Fad run, i would go from pittwater, out to broken bay fad, could make it trawling around, doing a day of drifting, even getting to terrigal fad before returning home. Although i would always fill 20 litres into the tank before we would take the journey back to pittwater, i found that i probably wouldnt have needed to add it. (just do it because i dont like the idea of going fast and then the petrol cutting out)

i would say to browns, if i went from the harbour, would be about the same as heading to the fad at broken bay, and back. So an extra 60 litres would be plenty for me.

But i wouldnt go out there if i wasn't with another boat or 2. as you never know what can happen on a sea mountain like this one.

Mate is your 115 a 4stroke or 2 stroke, If its a 4/s 130 lts will be fine but if you have a 2/s then I would be carrying at least 150 lts of fuel.

Cheers Silvo - Bentstik

Mate is your 115 a 4stroke or 2 stroke, If its a 4/s 130 lts will be fine but if you have a 2/s then I would be carrying at least 150 lts of fuel.

Cheers Silvo - Bentstik

Hey Mate,

its a 2 stroke, saltwater. have put up a pic of my boat with it on her in another post.

Cheers for the tip, i may just stick an extra 2x 20l tanks and strap them to the sides up the middle of the boat.

I was also looking at maybe upgrading my tank to a 100lt at some point, so maybe its a good idea to do that before i do the trip out.

I used to run an 19' old savage with a 140 yammy on it. I would head to the shelf from Swansea and Port Stephens.

With an 80 litre under floor tank I would also take 3x25 litre contianers and 3x20 litre drums. I would not use it but I was happy that I always had enough fuel to return with plenty spare for the murphy factor. Don't forget spare oil.

I also carried a length of fuel line just in case.

Cheers Rowan

Hey Mate,

its a 2 stroke, saltwater. have put up a pic of my boat with it on her in another post.

Cheers for the tip, i may just stick an extra 2x 20l tanks and strap them to the sides up the middle of the boat.

I was also looking at maybe upgrading my tank to a 100lt at some point, so maybe its a good idea to do that before i do the trip out.

In which post is the picture of the boat located.

Cheers

Been toying with the idea of a second motor on her, like a 15hp aux, but thinking it would be pretty pointless, as if it did go wrong outside, i would be best calling for help, and i doubt the 15 would get me back home.

Been toying with the idea of a second motor on her, like a 15hp aux, but thinking it would be pretty pointless, as if it did go wrong outside, i would be best calling for help, and i doubt the 15 would get me back home.

15 hp will push your boat to at least 8 knts with a small pitch prop, say a 5" or max 6" , if you use the 9" that most 15 hp come with you will be labouring the donk and you may even kill at by the time you got back. 15 hp is much better than no hp at all, if you got a tow you won't be going any quicker and under your own power you have more control too. I have a 15 hp merc 2 stroke on my 6.5 mt Trophy ( 200 hp Opti main) with a 6" pitch ( I can't foind a smaller pitch to suit) and she pushes at 7 knts in calm water and about 6 outside in rough water .

Altough I have seen smaller boats than yours at browns ( I saw a tiller steer tiny a few months ago ) your boat would be the absolute smallest boat I would venture to browns with and keep a very good eye on the weather, fuel storage is a big problem for small boats especially carby 2 strokes. Keep in mind you will use 3 times the fuel if you have to come back on and off the throttle and not on the plane . If you need say 30 lts to get there in good weather at say 20+knts you could use 90 to get back at say 8-10 knts and 3 hours !!!

15 hp will push your boat to at least 8 knts with a small pitch prop, say a 5" or max 6" , if you use the 9" that most 15 hp come with you will be labouring the donk and you may even kill at by the time you got back. 15 hp is much better than no hp at all, if you got a tow you won't be going any quicker and under your own power you have more control too. I have a 15 hp merc 2 stroke on my 6.5 mt Trophy ( 200 hp Opti main) with a 6" pitch ( I can't foind a smaller pitch to suit) and she pushes at 7 knts in calm water and about 6 outside in rough water .

Altough I have seen smaller boats than yours at browns ( I saw a tiller steer tiny a few months ago ) your boat would be the absolute smallest boat I would venture to browns with and keep a very good eye on the weather, fuel storage is a big problem for small boats especially carby 2 strokes. Keep in mind you will use 3 times the fuel if you have to come back on and off the throttle and not on the plane . If you need say 30 lts to get there in good weather at say 20+knts you could use 90 to get back at say 8-10 knts and 3 hours !!!

I have a mate with a 15, so may give it a test run.. but without putting the bracket on the back, (obviously dont want to stick holes in if i dont need them, is there any other way of attaching the motor? Maybe just like on a tinny ? Or would that do damage to the transom?

Oh, and cheers for the useful info.. i am sure it will help me and alot of other guys wondering the same questions..

Edited by Hamuwaja