Pinhole Repair In Aluminium Boat

james7

I recently discovered a very small hole in my aluminium 3.95m Stacer. It's about 1mm. I think the corrosion was caused by a screw getting under the flooring.

I've had conflicting advice about what to do. Someone suggested using a two part epoxy putty sort of thing. It costs about $20 a tube.

Others have said to get it spot welded by a professional. I haven't had a quote, but one boating place I rang said it would depend on several factors.

I have no knowledge of such things (and very little money at the moment), so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

Peter I had a similar problem many years ago , the hole was about 3mm in dia.

I used Plasti Bond , available from most hardware stores in small tubes.

Applied it , sanded back & painted. Could not see the repair & never leaked again

eoff

I recently discovered a very small hole in my aluminium 3.95m Stacer. It's about 1mm. I think the corrosion was caused by a screw getting under the flooring.

I've had conflicting advice about what to do. Someone suggested using a two part epoxy putty sort of thing. It costs about $20 a tube.

Others have said to get it spot welded by a professional. I haven't had a quote, but one boating place I rang said it would depend on several factors.

I have no knowledge of such things (and very little money at the moment), so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

drill it an 1/8th inch and fill the hole with a pop rivet and a good marine sealer/silicone.

Cheers

Peter

Knead It Aqua (the two-part epoxy putty sort of thing) works. Welding is probably better and might be the way to go if you want to work towards a top finish, sanding and painting the boat etc. but I have used Knead It for these little holes and it stops the leaks. :)

Baz

Welding it would be the best solution. If not I use a piece of Dynel Cloth and 2 part epoxy resin.

Just make sure you have the spot very clean. I would call myself an expert at this as my tinny is full of holes and well past its expiry date.

You must be confused as to what method to use. Good luck.