Eating Pj's

bergo

Hey Guys,

PJ's are not protected, but at this time of year they are in big numbers because they come in to spawn.

You can eat them, and i know some of my islander mates like them, boiled in coconut milk, with some spices.

but i would probably prefer others, as to prepare them you have to boil the fillets, then skin them, flake up the meat, then make your coconut slurry curry type thing.

too hard to skin them without doing this.. I have tried...

I have however tasted it, and its not bad, but i think thats just the curry around it :)

Hey Guys,

PJ's are not protected, but at this time of year they are in big numbers because they come in to spawn.

You can eat them, and i know some of my islander mates like them, boiled in coconut milk, with some spices.

but i would probably prefer others, as to prepare them you have to boil the fillets, then skin them, flake up the meat, then make your coconut slurry curry type thing.

too hard to skin them without doing this.. I have tried...

I have however tasted it, and its not bad, but i think thats just the curry around it :)

Anything tastes good in a curry....lol

The amount of meat you get out of a large PJ shark is very minimal, and their skin is very tough which blunts knives very very quickly..

hi bergo,

port jackson sharks are totally protected and must be released when caught.

well it seems it is open slather on the pj.s this has been cleared up in a similar post but to be honest i told bergo they were'nt protected both gary and my self have no intention off eating pj's or shovel nose sharks to much trouble and not worth the effort

but it just goes to show you how illinformed some people are cheers gary

One day my mate caught one that was about 15kg. He decided to eat it so we set out to fillet it up.

I would say that for its size i got a very small amount of meat from it and felt really terrible to have killed it for such little meat.

Although not protected I can't justify ever killing one again.

• 8 months later...

Hello there,yes i have killed a large one a very long time ago, the effort, the waste , and the taste will make you decide against killing another one after that, even if i was dying for a bit of shark and chips i would rather cook a chicken then kill another of these fish,

• 1 month later...