Submission By Martinthepom

Martin is one of our members and has a wealth of experience in such matters. Some of you may have met Martin at our last soft plastics workshop.

Take a look here at MartinthePom's website and a recent article in Fishing World

Below is what he sent me to post up and attached is a PDF of the submission NSW Rec Fish Inquiry.pdf

I was recently asked to give evidence to the NSW Parliamentary Inquiry into Recreational Fishing which is due to report at the end of this year and has been looking at the controversial issue of Marine Parks as well as how angling representation is organised in the State. My full submission is attached but set out below is the section on Marine Parks and a summary of recommendations. I am suggesting that there is no good reason why some forms of recreational angling cannot be allowed in the Sanctuary Zones for indentified permit holders. If you support this approach write directly to the Inquiry Team or even better to the Committee Members.

If you want to stop anglers from being locked out of prime fishing grounds in the Marine Parks then it is time make our voices heard.

I hope this will make a difference

Best Wishes

Martin Salter

( MartinthePom)

You may contact the members below or The Hon Robert Brown MLC via email address fishinginquiry@parliament.nsw.gov.au

or the address for written correspondence:

The Director

Select Committee on Recreational Fishing

Parliament House

Macquarie St

Sydney NSW 2000

Fax: 9230 3416

Members

Chair: The Hon Robert Brown MLC

Deputy Chair: The Hon Tony Catanzaritit MLC.

I agree with most of the arguements raised, however I would vehemently oppose the suggestion of having to buy yet another license so I could fish in Marine Parks for catch and release only. I think a majority of anglers would agree with me. The current fees we pay are not put to good use as it is. There is no science available that shows that recreational anglers put any significant pressure on fish stocks and the procedures for determining zonings are an absolute joke.

I agree with most of the arguements raised, however I would vehemently oppose the suggestion of having to buy yet another license so I could fish in Marine Parks for catch and release only. I think a majority of anglers would agree with me. The current fees we pay are not put to good use as it is. There is no science available that shows that recreational anglers put any significant pressure on fish stocks and the procedures for determining zonings are an absolute joke.

With due respect I think you are missing the point. Angling is allowed in most areas of the Marine Parks but not in the Sanctuary Zones. These zones often contain the prime fishing grounds. We will not be able to unscramble the Marine Parks ( remember it was Abbott's mob who introduced the Marine Parks Act ) but we might be able to change how they are managed providing we can put forward a considered and well researched case. This is what I have tried to do and in it I challenge the 'dodgy science' that is used to exclude anglers from the majority of Sanctuary Zones. Most of the recreational fishos and fishery scientists I have spoken to in preparing this submission believe that there would be considerable value in anglers providing catch return data from these zones in a properly managed form. Given that we often spend more than the cost of our current annual licence fee on fuel, bait and tackle for a single trip out to fish near these Sanctuary Zones there is a danger that we could make ourselves look a bit ridiculous if we reject the notion of paying a few bucks extra a year to fish in them in a controlled and sustainable manner.

I hope all Fishraiders will take the time to read through the submission and make their views known to the committee. We are running out of time as it is due to report in November.

Best Wishes

Martin

Fair call, so long as it isnt a ridiculously high figure! Wouldnt it be extremely difficult to police if you are able to keep fish in the park area but must catch and release in the sanctuary zones (im assuming the sanctuary zones are within the park parameters?

Thank you for the effort you have put in to this cause, its about time somebody had a fair dinkum go at it!

Hi Donna

Thanks for putting that post up - I had already read the Fishing World article & thought it terrific. I hear that some may think an extra fee for fishing these areas would be annoying - many of you would not remember the time (not all that long ago) when there was NO fee to fish saltwater at all, but ALL Fresh Water Fishos were 'discriminated against' & charged a fishing fee!! (Yeah, OK, I know that the fee went towards fish restocking) but if you only did freshwater fishing once a year, it still was a pain! (The Kiwis still have this rule in place, (to the best of my knowledge), and it is (or was when I lived there) cheaper for visitors to fish NZ trout than locals!!)

Hi Martin, (please excuse the gentle dig at being a Pom!)

Funny, isn't it - that it takes an ex Pommie Pollie to be able to stand back & give a very objective, yet very eloquent and non hysterical look at the current setup of Marine Parks (and possible future extensions) & see thru the furpheys, offering feasible, yet logical suggestions to make the Parks work better in the future, with sensible access to anglers, without compromising the intent of having the Marine Parks in the first place!

Anyone with half a brain knows that it is the professional fishos that catch the majority of the fish & threaten the viability of most 'critical' areas, not the recreational fishos - so that doesn't say much for the intelligence of those who set up the Marine Parks in the first place & maintain the pressure for more!! :074:

I think most Fishraiders would agree that some sort of control is needed to prevent the cowboys from raping & pillaging our fishing stocks, whilst encouraging responsible fishing & maintaining sustainable fishing stocks. Be it changes in bag levels, making some areas TOTALLY catch & release (whilst gathering info for the Gov, thereby reducing costs to do it themselves...)

His suggestions (if taken up) would make the Marine Parks

1) Workable

2) Satisfy most angler's desire to fish there, even if with mandatory catch & release & right to dob wrong doers in

3) Increase fishing stocks by stopping professional fishing within them, whilst maintaining Marine Park 'ethics'

Martin has rasied some VERY valid points regarding

1) education of our fishing fanatics & future fishos - once you pay the fee, you are basically ignored until the next fee is due ....... unless someone happens to check up on your 'bag' or license somewhere along the way, in between licensing period ....... I know that I have only been checked once in the last 11 years (salt water fishing) and I fish more regularly than most. A few years back, when fresh water fishing in the Tamworth area, I was checked on EVERY occasion that I was on the water!!

2) He also mentions that the Department doesn't have a clue about the ACTUAL numbers fishing, as the pensioners and kids (and carers of kids whilst fishing) aren't included in any data collected!

3) One of the most valid point of all - if any one party HAD targetted the fishos with viable options to marine park rules - they could well have formed a Majority Government instead of the possible 'circus' that we will have to endure for the next few years!

If it is alright with Martin, I would suggest that every Fishraider Copy Martin's submission & put in a submission of their own, copying his onto your own submission & at the top, say that you agree with all recommendations made in his submission.

Have a voice & be heard. As Obama said - Can we do it - YES, WE CAN!!

Ok, I'll jump off my soap box now!! :biggrin2:

I know what I will be doing .......

Cheerio

Roberta

Maybe even contact your local papers & send them a copy of Martin's submission as well - with a bit of luck, it will get printed (even in part) giving others the opportunity to have a say as well!!!

Send this Fishraider link to all your fishing buddies whether they are fishraiders or not & suggest that they read it! I already have!!

Education is knowledge. Knowledge is power. Use it!!