No More Doughnuts For Me..the Drough Has Broken!

dabee21

Well, it's sad to say (er..hard to admit it) that yes, sadly the last month really has been rubbish fishing for me.

In the last 4 adventures I have caught 0.....Things however were about to change on this lovely, slightly windy September Sunday.

We set off from Rosevlle just before midday. A nice place to launch FYI..it was also my fist time launching from there.

We started off with a Troll. Starting from under the spit bridge, and continuing for about 500 meters along the jetty's of the marinas. It was quiet, we did not know what to expect, but i hear there are big fish frequenting these waters.. it's 30+ meters in parts :)

All of a suden, Bang! Something whacked my NEW Magnum X rap 15...unfortunatly, the big hit did not result in a hook up ! It did leave some battle scars on the new $20 magnum though...Cheeky fish!! My mate suspected it could have been a kingy, but he probably knew that talking that way would just get me excited! LOL ..I've never caufght a king fish!

So we pull up our lines and head north, accross to Noth Head. We slowly pulled out around the corner, prep the rods and get them back in with hte magnum attached once again, hoping for a strike!! No luck trolling all the way noth until we hit the furthest point. All good , we head back now lines still in the water.

All of a sudden, the birds, I almost resemble Johnny Depp in Fear and loathing screaming "the bats, the bats" LOL.. anyway ,tehre were hundreds of Aussie Salmon now on the surface!

Within a second, all of us had out light flick sticks (2-4kg line weight), 2500 reels that were loaded with 7lb vanish. We loaded the rods using a variety of lures and S/P's. We aimed the lures at the heads of salmon gulping up the bait fish and let rip!!

We flick into the salmon, bang!! (I was using my orange small TT lure) a 2.5 kilo salmon is on my lure in seconds! love that feeling!! i wrestled, part nursed the fsih to the surface, trying njt to break my line.. fearing the break off, i slowly retrieved the fish.. i got him to the side of the boat then bng! he took off again! with explosive pwer and snapped me off! Damn I yelled!! So we circle back after the otehr guys pull in one each! we throw in again to the chomping rampage below us... BANG!! As predictable as the sunrise, teh salmon are onto our lures again!!

This continued for about 2 hours until we got sick of the same thing... Beleive me, Itwas a hard corner to turn, even though we have had fun, it's hard to say, "ok, lets go try for something a bit better eating"... when the salmon are on all day!

So we left with a few Salomon for some fish cakes for dinner.. (later that night my girl cooked them up and they were delicious!!)

We then headed back in towards the spit bridge. We decided to have another troll until we got back to Roseville.

We had no success on the troll back, so we all felt a little disapointed that we had left all the fun and excitement back out the front with the Salmon.

All in all a really fun, exciting day with hte salmon on! Although they are not a versitle fish when it comes to eating them, we had a lovely feed from the 3 we kept. Combined, the salmon we kept would have weighed at least 6 kilo's (a conservative guess).

I should point out that I snapped my rod on this trip too.. a special appology to my fellow crew men/women :) SORRY ...

So, now to find a new flick stick.........

Steve

Well, it's sad to say (er..hard to admit it) that yes, sadly the last month really has been rubbish fishing for me.

In the last 4 adventures I have caught 0.....Things however were about to change on this lovely, slightly windy September Sunday.

We set off from Rosevlle just before midday. A nice place to launch FYI..it was also my fist time launching from there.

We started off with a Troll. Starting from under the spit bridge, and continuing for about 500 meters along the jetty's of the marinas. It was quiet, we did not know what to expect, but i hear there are big fish frequenting these waters.. it's 30+ meters in parts :)

All of a suden, Bang! Something whacked my NEW Magnum X rap 15...unfortunatly, the big hit did not result in a hook up ! It did leave some battle scars on the new $20 magnum though...Cheeky fish!! My mate suspected it could have been a kingy, but he probably knew that talking that way would just get me excited! LOL ..I've never caufght a king fish!

So we pull up our lines and head north, accross to Noth Head. We slowly pulled out around the corner, prep the rods and get them back in with hte magnum attached once again, hoping for a strike!! No luck trolling all the way noth until we hit the furthest point. All good , we head back now lines still in the water.

All of a sudden, the birds, I almost resemble Johnny Depp in Fear and loathing screaming "the bats, the bats" LOL.. anyway ,tehre were hundreds of Aussie Salmon now on the surface!

Within a second, all of us had out light flick sticks (2-4kg line weight), 2500 reels that were loaded with 7lb vanish. We loaded the rods using a variety of lures and S/P's. We aimed the lures at the heads of salmon gulping up the bait fish and let rip!!

We flick into the salmon, bang!! (I was using my orange small TT lure) a 2.5 kilo salmon is on my lure in seconds! love that feeling!! i wrestled, part nursed the fsih to the surface, trying njt to break my line.. fearing the break off, i slowly retrieved the fish.. i got him to the side of the boat then bng! he took off again! with explosive pwer and snapped me off! Damn I yelled!! So we circle back after the otehr guys pull in one each! we throw in again to the chomping rampage below us... BANG!! As predictable as the sunrise, teh salmon are onto our lures again!!

This continued for about 2 hours until we got sick of the same thing... Beleive me, Itwas a hard corner to turn, even though we have had fun, it's hard to say, "ok, lets go try for something a bit better eating"... when the salmon are on all day!

So we left with a few Salomon for some fish cakes for dinner.. (later that night my girl cooked them up and they were delicious!!)

We then headed back in towards the spit bridge. We decided to have another troll until we got back to Roseville.

We had no success on the troll back, so we all felt a little disapointed that we had left all the fun and excitement back out the front with the Salmon.

All in all a really fun, exciting day with hte salmon on! Although they are not a versitle fish when it comes to eating them, we had a lovely feed from the 3 we kept. Combined, the salmon we kept would have weighed at least 6 kilo's (a conservative guess).

I should point out that I snapped my rod on this trip too.. a special appology to my fellow crew men/women :) SORRY ...

So, now to find a new flick stick.........

Steve

Hey Steve AKA "Mr Donut"

Great catch and great report... good to hear you can finally shake off the mr donut title!

I love catching sambos on spin gear.. must come out with you one day and have a fish.

When are you coming down to Botanay so i can clean Pete and you up again!! hahahah :biggrin2:

Cheers

Trung / DHYPE

Great Report. Photos by any chance? Those salmons are a great sporting fish, and when you know how to prepare also acceptable table fish (for me that is)

What time were you out there?

Hi cameldownunder,

I think the salmon came on just around 1 or 1.30 pm. I have some pic's and some video footage.. Only i dont have acces from here (work) lol. will pop some of the pics / footage up tonight...

Regarding eating these salomon. Im with you, if you know the trick to cook/prep them, no one will be left hungry!!

Thanks for the reply!

Steve

Hey Steve AKA "Mr Donut"

Great catch and great report... good to hear you can finally shake off the mr donut title!

I love catching sambos on spin gear.. must come out with you one day and have a fish.

When are you coming down to Botanay so i can clean Pete and you up again!! hahahah :biggrin2:

Cheers

Trung / DHYPE

Hi Trung.. jeeze.. we get some stick from you dont we...

Well mate, we would love to come fishing with you again! Also, the same goes to you and your brother. If you want to come down our way, or meet up in middle harbour (half way for us both) we are keen to do that also. I'll call you this wekend and we can make some plans ok.

If weather permits, then this weekend would be our plesure to out fish you ..LOL or have a shot at it anyway!! it's unlikely though givben my recent track record!

Steve

Hi cameldownunder,

I think the salmon came on just around 1 or 1.30 pm. I have some pic's and some video footage.. Only i dont have acces from here (work) lol. will pop some of the pics / footage up tonight...

Regarding eating these salomon. Im with you, if you know the trick to cook/prep them, no one will be left hungry!!

Thanks for the reply!

Steve

Aussie salmon is best prepared by first bleeding on capture. Once at home just fillet and skin the fish, add your herbs and spices as needed, cooked medium well done and then finally take it outside and feed the cat. :biggrin2:

Aussie salmon is best prepared by first bleeding on capture. Once at home just fillet and skin the fish, add your herbs and spices as needed, cooked medium well done and then finally take it outside and feed the cat. :biggrin2:

No cats eating my fishcakes, thats for sure. I just had them for lunch.Mmmmm Trung, that sounds like a comp' to me, just name the place and time and it will be our pleasure to meet and beat you. Im sure my mate Groper would like a shot at the title too....lol. Lets say middle harbour on a date to be decided.

No cats eating my fishcakes, thats for sure. I just had them for lunch.Mmmmm Trung, that sounds like a comp' to me, just name the place and time and it will be our pleasure to meet and beat you. Im sure my mate Groper would like a shot at the title too....lol. Lets say middle harbour on a date to be decided.

BRING IT ON BOYS!!

Middle harbour it is! I'll speak to my mate Tom and confirm a date shortly for your slaying!

Victory will be so so sweet once again.....

Cheers

Trung / DHYPE