Boat Ramps In Sydney Harbour

jado75

G'DAY RAIDER'S,

FIRST OF ALL I'D LIKE TO SAY HI & THAT THIS IS MY 1ST POST. I REALLY ENJOY READING EVERYONE'S POSTS & REPLIES. I HAVE A 5.4M HALF CABIN WITH A 115HP & DO MOST OF MY FISHING AROUND BROOKLYN. I'D LIKE TO THINK I,M A CAPABLE DRIVER BUT CERTAINLY UNDERSTAND THAT YOU NEVER STOP LEARNING. I WAS HOPING TO START FISHING IN THE HARBOUR, PLACES LIKE SOW & PIGS ETC. MY 1ST QUESTION IS, & SORRY IF I SOUND LIKE AN IDIOT, IS BOAT MY SIZE BIG ENOUGH TO HANDLE THE HEADS? 2ND, DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY GOOD RAMPS TO LAUNCH FROM? NOW THAT I HAVE MY FISHRAIDER VIRGINITY OUT OF THE WAY I FEEL A LOT MORE COMFORTABLE. THANKYOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY REPLIES & HAPPY FISHING!

CHEERS JADO75

gday jado , ive got a 4.8 m 1/2 cabin and have had no problems,i also see tinnies out there so you'll be fine,as for the ramps just go to the boating section and you'll find all the boat ramps you want with comments and great pictures, good luck hitting the habour.

cheers paul

Hi Jado

The best ramp Ive used in the Harbor is Rose Bay only because of its location (close to the heads) unfortunately its along side a ferry wharf and can be a bit hectic while the ferry is there. The ferries use power to hold them selves steady making it hard to hold, launch & retrieve your boat.

Another good ramp to access the Harbor is killarney heights in the national park (there is a car park fee), its a little away from the harbor but a much better ramp in calm waters. see link

Killarney heights boat ramp

as for your boat being suitable for out the Heads 5.4 is plenty big enough as long as its reliable & in fair condition, It is a good idea to log on with marine rescue before you go out the heads. and as usual keep a check on the weather I always avoid being out there in winds above

10 - 15knots

Hi, another suggestion is at Roseville (just under the bridge).

It's easy to launch there, go out under the spit bridge and then into middle harbour. It's an easy run into the harbour from there, or out through the heads if conditions suit.

I launch from there all the time (4.75m boat). There is a parking fee (national parks) $7.00 for the day, or you can buy an annual pass which is what I did for about $60.00 which gives you 12 months unlimited parking to all the national parks.

As Oz_brett said, your boat is plenty big enough as long as it's reliable and you have all the right safety gear on board.

Cheers

oops.. just realised it's the same ramp that oz_brett posted about... hehe... sorry!

Edited by insomniac92

Like the others said Roseville ramp is a great place to launch to fish Sydney harbour and to access the heads. The area is under national parks and there for charge a fee. If you get there out of hours you get your ticket from a machine so make sure you take change with you( $7) The rangers patrol the area and if you don't have a current ticket displayed on your dash then they issue you with a fine. However the area is well maintained and has a good wharf for loading. It has good spots for kids also. Just be careful of the large rock on the left hand side of the ramp when launching or retrieving as it is not far under the water at high tide and out of the water at low tide. If you get there at high tide ask someone launching a boat where it is and save yourself some grief.

Regards Jeff

Edited by Day's Fishin

Hi, another suggestion is at Roseville (just under the bridge).

It's easy to launch there, go out under the spit bridge and then into middle harbour. It's an easy run into the harbour from there, or out through the heads if conditions suit.

I launch from there all the time (4.75m boat). There is a parking fee (national parks) $7.00 for the day, or you can buy an annual pass which is what I did for about $60.00 which gives you 12 months unlimited parking to all the national parks.

As Oz_brett said, your boat is plenty big enough as long as it's reliable and you have all the right safety gear on board.

Cheers

oops.. just realised it's the same ramp that oz_brett posted about... hehe... sorry!

Love the idea of the annual pass Insomniac didn't know they had them, The only other problem with the ramp is getting into it from the south side if I can work out an easy way around that I might fish the Harbor even more

Love the idea of the annual pass Insomniac didn't know they had them, The only other problem with the ramp is getting into it from the south side if I can work out an easy way around that I might fish the Harbor even more

Hey oz_brett,

Yeah the annual pass is great. As I said you can use it at any of the national parks. If I feel like jumping into the Hawkesbury, I can put in at Bobbin Head and the pass is good to use there. I'm not sure but there maybe other ramps where it can be used as well. I guess as long as they are run by national parks it will be fine to use. I think you can mail off for it, but I picked up mine from a service station not far from Roseville bridge (it's on the left hand side heading north less than a km past the Roseville bridge), they sell them over the counter.

I come from Castle Hill, so I usually go over the bridge from the south (M2 to chatswood) and there is a service station on the right about a km after the bridge. Its easy to turn right into it, fill up with fuel there, and then you are facing the right way for the boat ramp.

Cheers