Jervis Bay Fishing Spots

michaelchen

Hello fish raiders, I am a landbase fisherman. I have been fishing Avoca for a while now, and have finally have an overhead reel for life baiting. I have caught a few undersized kingies at Avoca on pilchard. Still chasing my first legal kingie to take home. I have read posts about how great Jervis Bay is and also heard people talking about catching BIG kingie and marlins there. I was just wondering if people could inform me on good landbased spots at jervis bay.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Can you guys use google map or wiki to indicate the spots please ?

bump

Mate if you head down to Jb and intend fishing the tubes,you need to take

some serious gear as you catch some very big fish.If you go in holiday time

forget it,the ledge will be covered by dawn.

you can catch all your live bait,then rig with atleast 24kg line,use baloon

livies will take bait out,then brace yourself.

Drum and drumsticks is another good spot.all info you need ,can get at

culburra bait shop,plus maps,just head out to lighthouse.

Cheers Rick.

Mate if you head down to Jb and intend fishing the tubes,you need to take

some serious gear as you catch some very big fish.If you go in holiday time

forget it,the ledge will be covered by dawn.

you can catch all your live bait,then rig with atleast 24kg line,use baloon

livies will take bait out,then brace yourself.

Drum and drumsticks is another good spot.all info you need ,can get at

culburra bait shop,plus maps,just head out to lighthouse.

Cheers Rick.

thank you very much. I have a TLD 30 with 50lb line. a 950ssm with 30lb line 10 foot rod, hope that will be ok.

Edited by landbaseNewbie

thank you very much. I have a TLD 30 with 50lb line. a 950ssm with 30lb line 10 foot rod, hope that will be ok.

TLD 30 and 50lb line means your limited to just Kingfish. To fish this tackle in peak season is a waste of time as if you do hook a marlin it WILL spool you and make lots of others very upset. to fish for Tuna your too heavy to geta good drift with smaller baits and you'll probably only have 400m of line on so if you get a good fish you'll get spooled. to fish JB successfully you need at the MINIMUM a TLD 50 loaded with fine diametre 24kg line to get 700-800m on it. Most people use Tiagra 50's with 1000m of 24kilo as standard. There is a reason for this, spend enough time dowwn there and you'll see the reason.

JB is not some majic spot where you put a bait out and there are millions of massive fish waiting to take your bait. It's a great spot if your willing to put in massive days and nights.

For my money there are just as good kings off sydney and central coast if you know how to catch them. Drum and Drumsticks is off limits thanks to our friends in the Navy, also to send somebody out there that is new anyway is dangerous as to get to the front of JB usually means climbs in and out! There is also talk of the Navy closing the Tubes due to the amount of Rubbish being left behind by fisherman and they are serious about it as well. So if anybody heads down take your rubbish with you.

My advice would be to stick with Avoca and Sydney till you learn rigs, how to fight fish, bait, presentation and most importantly etiquete, etiquete is very big at JB ansd its something you don't often see at Avoca as you don;t run 100+ metre drifts.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and after doing 3 seasons at JB i'm chasing kings this year mainly from the Central Coast, Sydney and Wollongong. I'll head to JB if the Marlin show up, but last year they showed up for 3 days and were gone! Most of the guys that got fish lived on those rocks for weeks to get those fish midweek, so if you head down in peak season don't expect to get a spot. If you do make sure to remember that at JB live bait takes priority over casting a pillie or a lure (etiquete).

p.s Are you the dude that was at Avoca last weekend that i helped out and tied the snell rig for the squid? If you are I'll be up there again on Sunday having a bash at the sambo's again.

Not much help but the tubes are in this area (where the arrow is not the "A" marker obviously!):

PAZ that is not the Tubes, thats the Docks and it takes 2hrs to walk there.

It's also a Sanctuary sone in the Marine Park and a favourite spot for dive boats that influenced the descision to make it a Sanctuary Zone.

If anybody wants to find the Tubes, do what we all did, go down there and ask questions and walk. Its much easier now than when i first did it trudging through tick infested bush.

The tubes are old navy torpedo tubes,erected during ww2.

As Yeeros said they are thinking about closing it,they are sick and tired

of cleaning up all the stuff left by fishermen,many a time I have walked back

with two garbage bags full.

Hi Yeeros.

Well stated mate, I have fished near twenty seasons on these ledges and could not have said it better. The only thing I would say is don't scratch it off your list Landbasenewbie take a trip down pack your self a feed and a camera and spend a day down there this season just to see what its all about and if your lucky you might see some action you will never forget. Landbase Addiction is a good movie if the trips too far. P.S people will tell you that you can walk in to Drum & Drum Stick and even my old spot at Devils Gorge but it will not be Marine Parks that prosecute you its the Navy. One more thing ring the range before you go as it may be closed I have been caught out before because i didnt bother to check.

All the best.

Scotty

Edited by scotty1856

TLD 30 and 50lb line means your limited to just Kingfish. To fish this tackle in peak season is a waste of time as if you do hook a marlin it WILL spool you and make lots of others very upset. to fish for Tuna your too heavy to geta good drift with smaller baits and you'll probably only have 400m of line on so if you get a good fish you'll get spooled. to fish JB successfully you need at the MINIMUM a TLD 50 loaded with fine diametre 24kg line to get 700-800m on it. Most people use Tiagra 50's with 1000m of 24kilo as standard. There is a reason for this, spend enough time dowwn there and you'll see the reason.

JB is not some majic spot where you put a bait out and there are millions of massive fish waiting to take your bait. It's a great spot if your willing to put in massive days and nights.

For my money there are just as good kings off sydney and central coast if you know how to catch them. Drum and Drumsticks is off limits thanks to our friends in the Navy, also to send somebody out there that is new anyway is dangerous as to get to the front of JB usually means climbs in and out! There is also talk of the Navy closing the Tubes due to the amount of Rubbish being left behind by fisherman and they are serious about it as well. So if anybody heads down take your rubbish with you.

My advice would be to stick with Avoca and Sydney till you learn rigs, how to fight fish, bait, presentation and most importantly etiquete, etiquete is very big at JB ansd its something you don't often see at Avoca as you don;t run 100+ metre drifts.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and after doing 3 seasons at JB i'm chasing kings this year mainly from the Central Coast, Sydney and Wollongong. I'll head to JB if the Marlin show up, but last year they showed up for 3 days and were gone! Most of the guys that got fish lived on those rocks for weeks to get those fish midweek, so if you head down in peak season don't expect to get a spot. If you do make sure to remember that at JB live bait takes priority over casting a pillie or a lure (etiquete).

p.s Are you the dude that was at Avoca last weekend that i helped out and tied the snell rig for the squid? If you are I'll be up there again on Sunday having a bash at the sambo's again.

No i wasnt that dude, i went before that. I did catch a few birds. =P if i go to avoca, ill pm you and let you know. Hope i can learn a few things from you. and i hate people leaving rubbish behind toO.

Hi Yeeros.

Well stated mate, I have fished near twenty seasons on these ledges and could not have said it better. The only thing I would say is don't scratch it off your list Landbasenewbie take a trip down pack your self a feed and a camera and spend a day down there this season just to see what its all about and if your lucky you might see some action you will never forget. Landbase Addiction is a good movie if the trips too far. P.S people will tell you that you can walk in to Drum & Drum Stick and even my old spot at Devils Gorge but it will not be Marine Parks that prosecute you its the Navy. One more thing ring the range before you go as it may be closed I have been caught out before because i didnt bother to check.

All the best.

Scotty

thanks dude, ill do more research on it.