Oiling Shimanos

70%ludite

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is safe to put the oil supplied with the Shimano

reels in the small side port.I have two Stradics and a Ci4 and a Sustain they all have a small port on the side.

If i remember rightly they call it a maintenance port.The reason i ask is if you put oil in this

port does it go into the gears and mix with the grease which i assume would be a bad combination.

If you can put oil in the port where does it go and what parts does it lubricate ?

And if you cant put oil in this port what can you put in.Should i just use the oil for the shaft and

reel handle etc.....

Cheers.....Roy

G'day Roy,

Owning a few Shimanos with the maintenance port myself what I'd recommend is that you consider it a 'stop gap' option only. Mixing different lubricants is never a good idea... some are compatible but many aren't and there's little way of telling.

Inside the body cavity, what you'll mostly be lubricating through the port is the gears. Typically, these are greased. I've used the port a few times (usually with a product called TG's Rocket Fuel liquid grease). But a couple of drops of Shimano's own oil should be fine in the short term... particularly if the reels still have Shimano's original grease inside them. Give Shimano's service dept a call to check compatibility.

Longer term though, oiling through the maintenance port is no substitute for a periodic complete service.

Cheers, Slinky

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Slinky for your prompt reply.Cleared things up.By way of interest how do you

find someone who is qualified to carry out servicing and repairs so your warranty is not

voided ?

cheers...........Roy

If you have a Shimano and live anywhere within a reasonable distance to Tarren Point, visit the Shimano Service center. I just came back from there with my Sustain, fantastic service. An older gentlemen there told me that for my Sustain, I should NEVER put in the oil into the hatch, leave it as is. It is full of grease and sealed, why open it? Also, never wash or rinse your reel, use a damp cloth to wipe it down after each use. Seemed like a nice fella who knows his Shimano reels so its worth to heed the advice.

• 5 months later...

I bought my Stradic CI4 2500 in September 2010 have have done zero maintenance other that a quick rinse with fresh water and a pump spray of inox. Sometimes after i fish it doesn't even get that.

Still as smooth as the day i bought it. And i fish anywhere from once to 4times a week.

Love shimano's just wish it came with a spare spool.

• 2 years later...

Being an older gentleman myself, I will go with his advice. A wipe over with a damp fresh water cloth & then a dry is the better option.

I have 2 Seascapes from over 40 years ago and they are still corrosion free - and that is pretty good with those reels given the use, the fish and dunkings they had - and they still run as well as when bought (not that I would ever use them nowadays). Then, a regular full service and you wont have problems.