New Zealand South Island Info

On Strike

Hi all,

Just booked to go to New Zealand in the first week of Feb next year. Will be landing In Queenstown and Fly Fishing with an experienced friend. Would appreciate some info on rivers I MUST fish if someone is willing to share. Don't mind traveling the length of the island for the right river. Any info is greatly appreciated. My friend has been there a number of times and knows a few but I would like to be armed with some other possibilities. Thanks.

Paul

On Strike.

• 2 months later...

Must does - the rivers that run into Lake Brunner on the West coast especially the Crooked, The Grey and Buller, The La Fontaine these are all West coast rivers, around Queenstown the Mataura and Greenstone, The Taieri, The Clutha, The Tekapo is another and do not forget Tekapo and Ohau Canals not pretty fishing but they holdfish in excess of 20lb check this site out it's not a forum but a very informative site also gives you the lowdown on the regs.

http://www.nzfishing.com/

All the best, by the way it is shaping up as a great seaon here on the north Island just to rub it in to you raiders!!!! :beersmile::biggrin2:

Edited by luderick -angler

• 6 years later...

I grew up in the Omarama, Waitaki area. If you want pristine mountan water you must fish the upper Arhurri river. There is a road off to your right about ten k north of Omarama when heading south to the Lindas pass. it is a public road but travels through two sheep stations (Walkers used to have the second station). Good etiquitte to take the days newspaper with you and drop in at the station house on the way up and let them know you are there. The river is walking distance from the road and there are a couple of river crossings if you go well up. It is light water but stunning location and some nice trout. Fly only water.