Jewfish Tsunami Using Soft Plastics

Joco

Hello Raiders,

Well this year i have decided to target Jewfish using soft plastics.

Thanks once again to Jewgaffer (Byron) for introducing me to fisher doi (Johnny), who also introduced me to his mate Josh.

Over the past 3-4 weeks a lot of hours have been invested, into fishing and learning how to catch the Jewfish.

A lot of bi-catch was caught BUT persistence paid of.

My first visit to the local waters, i was rewarded with my first Jewfish at 50cm, previous report http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=50975.

Few days ago, visiting Georges River with Josh, we must have had over 20 hits that particular night, but failed to hook the bloody things.

Tantrums and foul language echoed throughout the area :)

I was using a 4kg rod, 1000 reel, 4lb braid (no leader), 8cm plastic, 1/2 oz jig head as the current was pretty strong, and the depth was at 4-5 meters.

One particular cast i was hit 6-7 times but failed to hook the Jew. Think i was reacting too fast.

Another particular cast i managed to set the hook, a short run later, and it bit me off.

ALL the hits experienced were on the drop, closer to the bottom.

Persistency paid of and finally i was on.

The whole experience, the fight, the rod bending, and the reel screaming, my body experienced a massive rush of adrenalin :)

Being lost in my own little world, instead of tightening the spool, i loosed it and the reel screamed even harder (idiot, thought to myself).

Did not have a net, so i had to beach the Jewfish on a bed of slippery rocks (not a good idea).

Finally something descent, with my second Jewfish (PB) being at @64cm.

Boy do they look gorgeous and fight hard on light gear.

chippingnorton27.jpg

chippingnorton31.jpg

Itching for some more Jewfish action, i went the following night, by myself.

This time i upgraded to a 6lb braid and some 6lb leader (heavy duty) after seeing how toothy the Jewfish were.

This time i was determined to catch some more.

Once again i experienced the same attack on the lure, BUT this time i tested, as to how long do i wait before i react to set the hook.

That night NOT only did i catch another Jewfish BUT managed to score x3 in total.

I had to jump in the water (knee high) to pull them out of the water :)

At the end of my session, I had the biggest smile on my face and it was time to head home.

SORRY about the quality of the images, it was very dark and my digital camera is not the best.

1st

chippingnorton38.jpg

chippingnorton41.jpg

2nd

chippingnorton48.jpg

3rd

chippingnorton54.jpg

OVERALL, I must say the Jewfish are pretty hard to hook up using soft plastics.

And what amazes me, is how it attacks the plastic lure.

NOW time to order some more jig heads and return to the waters.

Tight lines and ill see you fellas at the social (my first attendance).

Regards

Joey

Joey mate what a report! I've experienced the buzz of a good jewie fight on a beach reel with 10kg line, I can't imagine what the fight is like on a 1000 sized reel and 4-6lb line :thumbup: You must be some angler, I'd love to hit the Georges with you blokes some time and learn the art of jew on plastics and light gear.

Cheers,

Adam.

Joey,

FANTASTIC WORK BUDDY! Especially on such light tackle.

:thumbup:

I've been searching the river for a jew for ages, no luck....

I could use some pointers on the placcies, Ive done OK in the past on bait but the last couple of years I have be a lure only kinda guy.

Do you mind me asking roughly where you got these beauties?

Cheers

Chris

@ Stippy - NOW i need to experience the buzz of a bigGER jew on my light gear... Cant wait...

@ jewdreamer - This particular spot, i was shown by Josh, and i have to respect his wishes and keep it a hush... Sorry...

@ Nanook - THANKS mate, sorry for stealing your "tsunami" title :)

@ bloopin - I was asked to move out to the CBD, but i think ill stay in the west, and like you said, afternoon flick after work...

@ bassboy888 - Ive been hearing from so many anglers, that the jews have moved further upstream, hence my persistancy to catch one (many) landbased.

@ snag - Thanks mate, ive been buzzing over the past few days ;) need to get my weekly dosage (might go out onight)

@ mccmark - Your right, the rain sent the jew fish crazy.... With this current capture, ive only caught jews when it rained, and late hours of the night, jet to catch one during daylight hrs...

@ Langa - I tryed using lures, blades, as they cary many treble hooks, thinking it has a higher chance of hooking the jew.... BUT due to the strong current and the depth, had to use heavy jig heads...

@ Juzza - I was lead to believe that jew fish dont particularly rely on sight, i was told that they have some sort of a sonar in the head, plus those dots on the side are some sort of sensors (someone correct me if i am wrong)... No the are does not need to be well lit, this particular spot was very dark... No light in sight... When i was taking photos, i couldnt see half a meter in front of me, and i had to guess where the fish was..

Edited by Joco

Firstly, congrats on your jewie success, especially on lure. :thumbup: I have yet to nail one on lure and it is one of my goals for this year :ranting2:

I think your success using the leader is important to note. Coupled with the slower reaction time for the strike, the added 'stretch' factor in the leader may have been the extra shock absorbtion you needed. I have found fishing braid straight to the jighead or lure greatly increases pulled hooks and missed hookups. Whatever it is you're doing ... keep it up, because it's obviously working! :yahoo: Great report mate, and looking forward to the next one

Cheers

Hodgey

man what a report thats excellent, i find it hard enough sounding em out on a boat with live bait let alone with a SP thats truely an amazing feat. im yet to get one on a lure so its defintly on my wish list for the upcoming summer season.

great stuff mate and keep the reports coming.

cheers hamerz.

Wow Congrats..is that a Silverfox squidgie fish you are using?

Whats sorta retrieve or rod action did you use to nail those jews?

DOnt know the exact name, but yes, a squidgie.....

The retrieve method was the standard, x2 flicks, but like i said, mainly got hit on the first fall...

Hey Joco,

Was good to meet up at the social - can put a face to the name. Those are great catches there. Some people have had to work for years to get catches like that.

Hope to see you around some day mate ...