Is It Safe To Eat Fish From The Georges River

fishboi

• 5 months later...

Dam this link is dead.. anyone remember what it said ?? good or bad :unsure:

Yeah mate all that it said was the same stuff still available on signs local to the river. Basically "do not eat fish out of the Georges River upstream of of Rabaul Rd boat ramp. Do not eat fish or crusteceans form Chipping Norton Lake or its tributaires, or Salt pan creek and its tribuatires including little salt pan creek."

That about somes it up.

The link is probably dead since that information is out dated. The river is in a much better state these days however storm water run off is still a problem after heavy rain so be careful. If in doubt, have an extra beer. Having said that Ive eaten fish from the entire system including the places it reccomends not to and i tell ya, its still healthier than some fast food chains! :074:

Musty

Yeah mate all that it said was the same stuff still available on signs local to the river. Basically "do not eat fish out of the Georges River upstream of of Rabaul Rd boat ramp. Do not eat fish or crusteceans form Chipping Norton Lake or its tributaires, or Salt pan creek and its tribuatires including little salt pan creek."

That about somes it up.

The link is probably dead since that information is out dated. The river is in a much better state these days however storm water run off is still a problem after heavy rain so be careful. If in doubt, have an extra beer. Having said that Ive eaten fish from the entire system including the places it reccomends not to and i tell ya, its still healthier than some fast food chains! :074:

Musty

I,ve eaten lots of fish out of the georges river system just like other fishraiders all i can say is make sure the fish you keep for dinner look healthy as some you catch are throw backs ie they don,t look to be developed properly,colour texture etc.I,m with musty on this one they beat fast food chains :thumbup:

chris.

I,ve eaten lots of fish out of the georges river system just like other fishraiders all i can say is make sure the fish you keep for dinner look healthy as some you catch are throw backs ie they don,t look to be developed properly,colour texture etc.I,m with musty on this one they beat fast food chains :thumbup:

chris.

I must admit, big fat, well conditioned bream from the georges river are VERY tasty. I reckon bream overall as an eating fish is over rated but the decent ones from the river are sumthing else. If you ever catch one which is very fat and healthy, sumtimes with black mussell shells on their way out the other end, u cant go wrong have a feed of them especially with the layer of fat they have in their lining. I havnt caught a bad flathead yet although i have seen some dodgey whiting, not sure if its from lurking in muddy weed beds or whatever but i wasnt willing to take them home, ive also seen the odd jew come up with red spot which i wouldnt touch but then again ive seen that in port hacking too, arguably one of our cleanest/ clearest waterways.

Like Chris said have a look at your catch and make an imformed choice.

Personally i wouldnt worry.

Musty

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah gotta agree with ya fellas. If the fish looks to be in good condition then go for it. But if it doesnt look to well formed and off colour just send him back in. I ate an 11kg jewfish from the Georges. I ate atleast over a kilo of it when the warnings say not to eat more than 300grams. It tasted beautiful and yeah it would have to have been healthier than a fillet-o-fish meal from Maccas. But yeah you must remember to check your fish and if you see its a very healthy and clean fish take it.

Also quick question, do jews in the georges swim up from the ocean and stay up ? Or do they consistantly move up and down the river ? Cause if so its consistently in changing waters meaning it should be fairly filtered and not too many toxins build up in the flesh, hence why I think it should be fine. What does everyone else think of this theory of mine ???

Cheers,

Jezzalz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would be more concern about the bassa fillets that they sell in the fish shops, only if people that bought that brilliant white fillet knew what it was and where it came from. Don't worry about the George's mate you will be right but can't give you any advice for chipping norton. Ive eaten muddies from overseas, up north and i tell ya.....you won't eat a better and sweeter mud crab from the George's. Cheers cg.

Im with you on that one, although Ive had a massive one and flesh was grey in the claws, binned it.