Crimps - Whats The Difference?

Hi Superfish,

with double copper you can use on anything,

plus they hold a lot better,especially when your learning,

a little bit dearer but worth it.

I hardly ever use alum,unless Iam just crimping a sleeve.

But that is only my few.

Cheers Rick.

Hi Superfish,

Double copper crimps are for wire only. Why? A crimp is for wire only as when you compress the crimp mono can be damaged - so use wire only. For mono you need to use an aluminium sleeve and swage it on. That will not damage the mono.

A crimping tool looks like this and to correctly crimp the copper crimp put it like this (I dont have any so I put an aluminium sleeve here instead)

post-3134-032333300 1286609886_thumb.jpg

A swaging tool looks like this

post-3134-018624700 1286609872_thumb.jpg

Note the direction of the sleeve in the teeth of the swaging tool. Don't put the sleeve in at 90 degrees to this and when you swage the sleeve dont swage it right at the end of the sleeve. Leave a leave a 1.5mm or so space towards the outside of the swage so that it flares out a little bit after it is compressed - like this

post-3134-058994600 1286609906_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Big-Banana

Not true, I use Copper doubles for all my Marlin live bait rigs in mono and never had an issue. Unsure why you think there would be an issue as the same effect is caused by crimping a copper and aluminium crimp. You have also shown the incorrect way when crimping a double sleeve. It must be laid flat, like this:

crimptech6.jpg

Edited by Big-Banana

Big Banana

Your picture didnt work so we cant see what you posted.

In any event you need to carefully re read my post. My first picture shows how to crimp a double sleeve - i just didnt have any to put in the picture.

You may not have any problems in using a double sleeve in your live baiting - and maybe you never will. But there is a difference in they way the double copper crimps and aluminium swages work .

Double sleeved copper crimps are used for multi stand wire because the crimp is softer than the wire. So when the sleeve is crimped the much stronger wire filaments indent the inside surface of the soft crimp. When crimping wire the crimp is crimped along the full length of the crimp.

Mono swages are oval shaped and work by the swage uniformly crushing both the oval sleeve and the nylon. For this reason the swages used on nylon are usually considerably longer than those used to connect wire as they are based on friction. They should not be swaged right to the end of the swage either.

Evets