Kingfish Reels?

rjc123

Hey guys,

I am intersted in getting a new real for kingfish and maybe jews. At my local store they said the cheapest one is about $200 unless you want to get busted up big time. They were saying the Penn reals were very suitable. Is the cheapest i could get away with $200 or is that over reacting a bit????

I agree that the penn reels in that price range are probably the cheapest you are going to get away with if you are going to be catching largish kings consistently. If you are only catching a few rats now and then you can get away with much cheaper. Basically you just need a smooth drag, could probably get away with a reel that pushes out only 6kg drag if your only catching kings 60-70cm

Mate go with shimano reels. I don't know what reel that shop is recommending you.

I'm not a penn fan really, I've caught kings easily on my shimano stradic 6000FI, would set you back about $200-$250

Mate it handles kings with ease. It comes with 10 years warranty as well, so that's quite reassuring.

It has 13kg of drag pressure, with a waterproof drag system. Mine has 40lb braid on it, a little overkill but kings are dirty fighters so it's needed.

I'm just hiring a boat and hopefully getting a few livies. I've currently got a Daiwa 4000 4ing. It's a descent reel and might just withstand the kingies. i'm not sure how much drag or whatever it has but yeah.

I'm just hiring a boat and hopefully getting a few livies. I've currently got a Daiwa 4000 4ing. It's a descent reel and might just withstand the kingies. i'm not sure how much drag or whatever it has but yeah.

Hi There

Go for a shimano Tld 20 or Tld 25 they are both great reels for kingies. I use them & i dont have any problems.

Cheers Grant

If what you are asking is can you get away with a reel that is much cheaper than $200 then the answer is yes, i have been usin a shimano AX6000FA for the last few years and it has caught me kings up to 70cm no worries, anything bigger and i use my penn spinfisher. That shimano reel i mentioned was only $60 or something like that and has served me well.

hey mate i use a diawa saltist 4500 H with 40 pound brade and its neva let me down its abit more i can get them for $300 iv alost seen them on online shop for $270 u can also jig with them there not to heave good forn cast poppers into the was as well

Mate I agree with Zephi ,

If you want to target kings around sydney you will need something that will withstand punishment . If you are on a budget they are good value for money. I have a variety of stradics and I love them, the drag is smooth and they have alot of stopping power for their size. You will definately not regret it , match them up to the appropriate rod and you will able to use it for kings , salmon , smallish tuna etc.I think that if you are live baiting or jigging you will need nothing smaller than 5000 size.

My not maybe a Baitrunner? Very smooth and nice to use, ive got the 3500b which im using for kings this season. Also if you ever wanted to its an awesome reel for the downrigger. Or maybe as others have suggested the stradic, ive got a 2500 and it pumps out 7kg of drag and far out its a beautiful reel to use!!

Probably knot...sorry forgot to say you should maybe go for the bigger version :) but i didn't realise what they cost until i checked now 1yikes.gif For that price i would defiantly have a look at the the stradic thumbup.gif the 6000 has 13kg of drag and for what you get is a great price.

Edited by Jonathan_w

Shimano btr 4500, should set you back approx 180-240, but withstand alot of punishment and have a great warranty. Biggest king caught by either Greg or myself on our btr's was 89cm.

Dan

How much do they cost?????

You should be able to find the Spinfisher for $129 if you know where to look, I've also heard good things about Okuma Salina II's... built tough and suitable for jigging with the bigger ones cranking out a reported 12kg of drag. I've got Okumas and Spinfishers I use off the beach and they're both great (both quite heavy though).

Cheers,

Adam.

Mack attack,

I fish for kings a lot using a variety of technques so i'll give you some advice from my own experience.

I have landed plenty of kings up to 70cm on a 2500 daiwa procaster (a reel worth just over $100). I currently use a Daiwa Sol 2500 but my point is you can get them on cheaper gear. I was running 8lb braid with a 12lb leader. Mind you, I would not be running this gear when livebaiting.

When i first started fishing for kings i used a Penn 310 GTI. It did the job and the largest fish i landed on it was 82cm. I was livebaiting on this reel and the fact it had a freespool with ratched was of great use. If you are going to livebait from a stationary boat i would try and get a reel with some form of freespol (a baitrunner would be good if you don't like overheads). My girlfriends father fishes with shimano 4500 and 6500 baitrunners and has no issues landing fish up to 80cm.

My current reel is a Daiwa Saltist 40H. I have used it over the past seasons. To give you an idea of usage, i fish 2 to 3 times a week when the kings are on. It has a much more powerful drag and is smoother to use. It is great as i use it for stationary livebaiting, downrigging and jigging. It is matched up with a saltiga rod. I certainly notice the difference in power of this reel compared to the abovementioned cheaper options.

At the end of the day you will get kingfish on most gear. The question is whether or not you plan to go hard on fish on a regular basis. If the answer is yes, the best advice i can give is get the best reel you can afford. It will last longer and you will have a much better chance of stopping good fish.

Something like the daiwa saltist (overhead), shimano Saragosa, shimano baitrunner would be a much wiser investment. If you fish reguarly you are going to develop lumpy drags, have components fail and not be able to dish out a lot of drag. Some of those smaller spin reels rated up to 13kg are a joke. I know from experience that although the drag may cope, the internal components of the reels are not up to the job. I have had reels bcome very lumpy after gear teeth have become warped from cranking hard with over 5kg of drag.

My 2c worth...

If you want a spin reel, there are a lot of reels that would do the job really well in that sort of price range. If I was looking for one to chase kings and jewies though, I'd get an Abu Soron STX60 or STX70.

It's not news that I'm in love with these reels but you won't find a reel as tough and powerful for close to the price you can get a Soron. Having opened them up and fished with them (my STX20 was accounting for 8kg Spanish Mackerel a couple of months ago), IMHO you'd have to pay $400+ to get a reel as good from Daiwa or Shimano. You can pick up an STX for around $200.

Cheers, Slinky

My 2c worth...

If you want a spin reel, there are a lot of reels that would do the job really well in that sort of price range. If I was looking for one to chase kings and jewies though, I'd get an Abu Soron STX60 or STX70.

It's not news that I'm in love with these reels but you won't find a reel as tough and powerful for close to the price you can get a Soron. Having opened them up and fished with them (my STX20 was accounting for 8kg Spanish Mackerel a couple of months ago), IMHO you'd have to pay $400+ to get a reel as good from Daiwa or Shimano. You can pick up an STX for around $200.

Cheers, Slinky

Do most tackle shops have them?

Hey Mate,

Here is my 2c worth.

It really depends what you are happy with mate. Ive caught a heap of kings within the 70-80cm mark, however, I find that anything 90+ really does test out your gear. Im not saying that you cant get em on cheap, light gear, its just alot harder and you cant push your gear as hard as you can using expensive heavy stuff. However, when I fish for kings, Im interested in the big ones! Of course the 70-80cm guys are still a heap of fun and put up a great fight, But ive lost to many big fish to fish light anymore.

When I fish for King's ill fish a min. of 60lb braid and 80lb leader with a 14000fa spheros and a PE6 Jigwrex.

In my opinion, I would go for a Spheros or Saltist spin, as they are middle range priced, great quality gear and put up a decent drag pressure! Similarly, u can livebait with them and jig and even bottom bash if your ever out wide.

I even see some people fishing for kings, live baiting with Tiagra 50W's!! insane stuff.

Thats just my opinion mate,

All the best,

Mike

Yeh,

i wont be doing alot of kingfish fishing but a bit. I just want something that will last a while and cope with kings and jews. Something under $230 would be nice.

thanks

Guest Aussie007

penn reels are not $200 there as low as $103 for the next day but there normal everyday price is around $120-$150 from most tackle shops i recently purchased the penn slammer i wanted a small reel for a good fight with the kings so i went with the 260 size its pretty heavy for its size not something i will use for a full nights squid but seems to be a nice reel catching fish i plan on using it for this season kingys