Sydney Marine Park Proposal

Hey guys,

Today it was brought to my attention that there are green groups and residents in the Eastern Suburbs pushing for a marine park that will extend from south head down to bondi. Their reasoning is that we need to create this sanction to protect blue groper and wobbegong sharks. Groper have a bag limit of 2 fish, with 1 over 60cm and wobbegong have a complete ban on keeping fish.

As we know both species have a widespread distribution along the coast and I don't think they are under much pressure, in fact people who dive the area find both these species a common encounter.

I think it is important to bring this to the attention to as many fisho as possible. They are knocking on our doorstep so we need to show these fools where to go.

If anyone knows of further details or who to contact please put the info up as i will be writing in and urge many others to do the same.

We supposedly live in a democratic society. Being the largest stakeholder with respect to utilising this resource our opinions should be given due consideration.

Edited by fishmaniac

Hi Fishmaniac,

a few opinions on your objection to some greenie marine park proposal from South Head to Bondi as unsolicited advice;

- if it's just some bored local making noise and it receives no further traction in Council, Media or meetings, it might be best to deprive it oxygen by ignoring it.

- if it's got legs, do research. Google every name/reference that comes up. Check websites and Council meeting papers. Check your own

position on Wobbies, Fisheries must be concerned about them if there's a zero bag limit.

- talk to fishing clubs/organisations.

- Write out your position, media format and formal submission style. Have a non-fisherperson read it. Do a short version and a long one.

These are fairly standard practices, the same old fisherpersons defending their rights while government ignores, delays, disembles and does what it wanted to do all along. A pretty dispiriting tale until the last Federal Election where one party advertised it's marine park morotorium. Fishing access rights in a Commonwealth election.

We have made the big time, irrespective of party.

My (more)controversial opinion is that local ratepayers should be told that they will pay for the park. There must be stormwater drains that run foul at times that would require upgrading to a 'marine park' environmental compliance standard. Parking will have to be managed to allow for the increase of day visitors,etc. etc. Suggest a "Special Park Levy" be added to their Council Rates.

dont give up

regards

agar

I keep saying this but ill say it again, when you guys feel the need to do a go slow in the middle of the sydney CBD using our boats on the back of the car in mass...to show the goverment we a pissed off about this type of cr.p then PM me my boat will be there.

Edited by snag

Hey guys,

Today it was brought to my attention that there are green groups and residents in the Eastern Suburbs pushing for a marine park that will extend from south head down to bondi. Their reasoning is that we need to create this sanction to protect blue groper and wobbegong sharks. Groper have a bag limit of 2 fish, with 1 over 60cm and wobbegong have a complete ban on keeping fish.

As we know both species have a widespread distribution along the coast and I don't think they are under much pressure, in fact people who dive the area find both these species a common encounter.

I think it is important to bring this to the attention to as many fisho as possible. They are knocking on our doorstep so we need to show these fools where to go.

If anyone knows of further details or who to contact please put the info up as i will be writing in and urge many others to do the same.

We supposedly live in a democratic society. Being the largest stakeholder with respect to utilising this resource our opinions should be given due consideration.

I have dived in this area for about 50 years and have worked it as an abalone diver for 20 of those years. Since the limits to blue groper came into place there has been a steady increase in numbers to the point blue groper are common and can be found in large numbers all along the coast of NSW.

A study carried out by fisheries showed that blue groper are definately not under any presure. Fisherman and spearfishermen taking large numbers of these fish is a myth. The people who are pushing for the parks are ill informed as to what is happening and need to grab goggles and have a look, they will see very quickly their information is totally false and may wake up.

regards bucko48