Nsw Fisheries

anf

Good to see Inspectors checking catches on boats returning to Brooklyn Boat Ramp(Parsely Bay). If only they were at Sydney Harbour Boat Ramps!

Measure your catches and watch your bag limits or wear a minimum $200 fine for each undersize fish.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw some moron under the Como Bridge today in a hire boat (Party Pontoon type) cleaning a bream that was bearly bigger that the palm on of his hand.

I hope the clown had some drama's with one of the little fells bones as he ate it!

Shame the fisheries guys weren't around for that one.

Its a shame that the fisheries were not out in Botany Bay today. Catch'n'release and I saw boats fishing in the sanctuary zone at Kurnell and blokes pulling in small fish that never went back in the water at Towra. They could have had a field day. What's the bet some of them didn't have licences.?

You'll be surprised how many of these ignorant anglers are.

I don't even think they have fishing license, these people think the money paid for the license goes to the sink hole.

Sadly, those who have no boat cannot enjoy 100% of the money paid in fishing license for fish conservation and other good things to make sure those kingfish are available in the harbour.

once fished next to a family who kept their undersize breams, snappers... anything. They saw me throw my undersize catch back to the water, they started laughing and make jokes about it. I am not sure how responsive or effective the illegal fishing hotline is, has anyone called?

I called once to report a couple of bouffons catching under size bream and keeping them in a bucket( about 20 what I could see). I was told there was no one in the area (fair enough) I could go to numerous spots around the harbour and botany bay on any weekend and see these people every where, why can't fisheries do that? If you don't look like you can pay the fine or will plead (I no understand) they put it into the too hard basket! (In my opinion)

Regards Jeff

I have experienced these incidents.

i have helped the fisheries out, accidentally tipping their catch back in the water. When they yelled, I said "I didn't understand"!!

It would be good to see the fisheries more visible around the harbour foreshore in my opinion

it gets under my skin when i see people keep undersize fish

could it be a case of, more education is needed on this subject to the general public? or do people really just don't give a ....

I fully under stand where you are coming from,but,I was having the same conversation a few weeks back with a tackle shop owner on the coast and he reckons that more damage is done to the system when people take home the breeders and not the small fry, as most small fry gat eaten anyway and dont make it to breading,Were as the large Lizzad for example has made it to breeding and someone takes it home for a feed.Thats what does the damage.The breeders should go back in if we want fish in the future.

Regards Stu.

I think every honest angler would like to see the following:

1. Fisheries actually being out there and checking catches ( I have been checked once in my life, I can't see the night time fishos getting caught)

2. Checking the warfs/fishing hot spots at night time would be the best catch for them for both undersized, over bagged and unlicenced fisherman/catches

I alone could make thousands picking out illegal fishing. I don't see why the Government would not see this as a good revenue stream since the population appear to ignore the rules. In the end it will hurt us as we wont have new fish breeding or moneyto be spent on improving our fishing/water qualities.

Justmy thoughts, but I can be ignored.

Squidboy

On the other hand...

Ages ago, I went houseboating with a heap of relos, including an auntie and uncle from overseas who had never fished before. My auntie kept bringing in yakkas, and she always got excited when she caught anything, so made alot of noise. The people in the neighbouring cruiser started yelling at us and said they were going to call fisheries on us.

We had no illegal catch on board, just a bunch of yakkas (one of my relos likes to eat them, I like to use them as bait).

If fisheries came and checked at the request of those wankers, they would have just wasted their time.

Guest Scotty Lyons

Fisheries who are they and what do they do and why do we all pay to go fishing the place has gone mad.

not once in 15years have I ever seen them at the hole in the wall boat ramp and Iam luckie to see them on the Bay twice a year pretty sad.

This is an interesting topic, a mate of mine who did a fisheries course, was told that only 1 in a few hundred fish make it to 1 year of age and then only 1 in a few more hundred make it to 2 years, then only 1 in a few hundred more make it to 3 years and so on. I'm no rocket scientist but it seems to me that a 40cm Bream which is over 25 years old had about the same chance of getting to that age as me winning lotto.

I think its probably best to let the 40cm model go and keep a 25cm one or am I wrong?

I would like to know the facts on this.

Does any one have any thoughts?

Cheers Langa

I was watching a show on tv ages ago, and it was filmed in NZ.

It showed fisheries inspectors going about different boat ramps

and beaches checking peoples catches. They even had authority to

check peoples vehicles, they were in uniform, cant remember if they

had two way radios (maybe), most importantly all these fisheries

inspectors were volunteers and they worked closely with the govt

employed fisheries inspectors. Most of these guys and gals were

fishos themslves.

I wonder if such a thing would work here.

cheers

Fisheries who are they and what do they do and why do we all pay to go fishing the place has gone mad.

not once in 15years have I ever seen them at the hole in the wall boat ramp and Iam luckie to see them on the Bay twice a year pretty sad.

Haha Scotty, wont disagree there.

I spoke to an "ex" fisheries guy not long ago and I asked why they didn't enforce laws and didn't come down hard on illegal fishing etc, his reply was that their safety was more important than issuing a fine. Some people have no respect for the law and think threats, violence etc is ok and fisheries don't have that much power, maybe they need to be given more powers of arrest etc or make police go with them.

I spoke to an "ex" fisheries guy not long ago and I asked why they didn't enforce laws and didn't come down hard on illegal fishing etc, his reply was that their safety was more important than issuing a fine. Some people have no respect for the law and think threats, violence etc is ok and fisheries don't have that much power, maybe they need to be given more powers of arrest etc or make police go with them.

Maybe they should be in bigger numbers..... or maybe they could take down car rego and boat details and inform Police..?? Who knows but there should be a lot more of them... We see people all the time keeping undersized fish and it shits us.... how are we supposed to take our kids fishing and hope they may catch something when the waters being stripped bare..... Im sure the point of fishing (for those who eat fish) is to have a "Fresh Catch"..... how fresh can it be when people exceed their bag limits and take home way too many fish... I reckon half the fish taken home probably get chucked out.... Glad to see so many people on here are supporting the size limits and returning of their catches... best way to conserve our fishing future!

guess that explains why they have coppers tag along during the summer at the Entrance

This is definately a topic thats angers me :ranting2: all time, because you see it so often. Me too have never been checked by fisheries since ive been fishing (30 years). Ive used all the popular boats (botany Bay, Port Hacking) and not once seen them. Ill be so happy to show my catch each time i went fishing, wouldnt care as i have nothing to hide. If your ever not sure on size limit you just put it back,Simple...If your in doubt its probably to small anyway

Something needs to happen, because their the people who are giving recreational fishing the bad name. Check out the video on Youtube called Botany Bay Fishing 020410.mp4.. Theres the proof :ranting2::ranting2::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Fisheries officers.

They perform an important function but can be a double-edged sword.

I have met some very nice officers who were intent on doing their job in a friendly and informative way.

Education is high on their priority list and you can always learn something about the laws from them (some fisheries rules are a bit grey you know - eg pre-rigged rods).

These people are a pleasure to work with and can enhance our fishing experience every time.

But I have also met other officers who were rude and invasive, who were looking at the first opportunity to fine you.

They would treat you like you were out fishing to steal THEIR resources....

I've heard of one guy who had his boat boarded at 3:30am on the Hawkesbury. That story's best left untold...

Still....

I always do the right thing but like many of us here, I have witnessed some very poor form, from people keeping undersized fish.

My opinion is that the people who keep undersized fish are generally financially strapped of feel financially insecure (irrespective of their financial status).

Unfortunately, these people are everywhere as I believe they think they can make a good return on investment (ie when they buy gear'n'bait, they then catch lots of fish to offset the costs).

Other people, perhaps, feel that the rules are unjust and that their culture tells them that fish are there for the people to catch and eat, not controlled by an unjust government. Perception - it shapes the way we see the world and the way we live our lives.....

Like some people on the site, I believe that it is more important to protect the breeders. Yes undersized fish should also be protected but the breeders are more important tenfold. I know of some spots to catch thumping big bream. The fish start at 40cm (I've got them to 47cm) but I don't go there. I'd rather they breed and keep the species ticking along. In all my other bream holes, the fish rarely get beyond 37cm which is what I prefer. The older fish are also potentially full of toxins (purely because they are old and may originally have resided in the cooks river) and they aren't so good on the plate either.

Fisheries officers could take a rookie cop with them so that the rookie cop can learn about rule enforcement (as an intro into the real world of policing) as well as provide some psychological clout for the fisheries officer with whom they are partnered. They could ask for fishing licence details FIRST to establish an ID, then look at the fish if they believe the bust would be significant...They should also carry mini video cameras as a deterrent and for proof in court (if it goes there).

I saw that program that Penguin is talking about - it was set in NZ. The problem is that the fisheries offciers have a TV camera crew to support them. How much of a violent struggle would the perpetrators put up with a TV crew in their face? Not much.....

There are always solutions to problems - question is, even if the solutions are identified and people willing to implement them, who will fund them ? The greens ? I doubt it...

That is mainly all you catch off those rocks,, i have seen the odd 'size' flathead and have heard of (never seen them) Kingfish being caught there,, any fisheries inspector that was to mosey on down there on a summers evening would have a field day....

That is mainly all you catch off those rocks,, i have seen the odd 'size' flathead and have heard of (never seen them) Kingfish being caught there,, any fisheries inspector that was to mosey on down there on a summers evening would have a field day....

I know..Everyone knows that. So why dont they. :ranting2: If they get caught once or even twice, they might have second thoughts about doing it again. The fine has to be significant enough thou to stop them. I was so P.... off when i saw that clip i wanted to call up fisheries to see if they could do something. Talk myself out of it because i just knew there would no action...

just interested but would anyone know of the fishery inspector numbers?

i can understand if the numbers are quite low, then this can lower overall inspection numbers, however if there are quite a few around then there really is NO EXCUSE!

Edited by livo4life

I’ve only ever seen fisheries on the water and only been checked once. I’ve never seen them on land but that’s were I believe most of the irresponsibly fishing takes place. If fisheries were serious they would hire more staff and start fining land based fisherman. I’d suggest fisheries start with Pier Two in the city and Ballast Point.

Let's see, if you were allowed to keep 50% of every fine as a bounty, I wonder how many people would become a volunteer inspector. Quite a few I think. Or perhaps inspections could be outsourced to an organisation with a vested interest in the outcome, like Fishraider. Would take a bit of organising.

If you ask me, fish sizes should be policed more than fishing licences....i was boarded in nelson bay and was fined because my licence was expired

by 2 days....the thing is every bait shop and servo in the area said that their books ran out....give me a break...ive always paid and respected the

fishing licence rules and all their records would prove that i have always held a current licence....

it cant only be about capital raising.....people should be locked up for the murder of juvenile fish...

Edited by achilles

This topic pop's up regulary. In 2001-2002 when I finished my environmental degree, my final project was based upon the issue of fisheries officers to fisho's. End finding was plain and simple at this time, nearly 10yrs ago there was less than 100 patrol officers operating in Australia, and less than 1/3 of these officers had a boat license, therefore they had to act in teams of 2's with a licensed(boat) patrol officer hence reducing the number of inspectors that were able to efficently patrol our waterways. But the real kicker was the number of patrol boats available to fisheries officers, throughout each state. Something like one boat to every 3-5 fisheries inspectors.

Its easy to complain but hard to fix. Our waterways provide us with so much, fishing, scuba diving, tourism, and the list just keeps going on. It needs to be protected in conjuction with those industry's that rely upon whilst maintaing a level of sustainability.

As for catch, karma, keep undersized fish and you will get busted one day,,, same as drink driving, do it often enough and you will get caught. And I dont condone either of these.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg