Importing A Boat From The Usa To Australia

olitay

Lucky, if you didn't get it on time you would have been up for storage fees and they are not cheap. Worse still if they refused , you can't even get your boat!!!

Lesson, don't ship before you get the approval.

Good luck with it.

This is so true, a mate of mine has a boat coming on the same ship and he has not yet received his trailer permit. He has been advised that he has 2 options.

1. Store the boat at the docs at a ridiculous daily rate.

2. dispose of the trailer and scrap it!.

If anyone is considering importing a boat on a trailer. MAKE SURE YOU ALLOW 2 months Minimum for the permit to arrive for the trailer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i spotted this in the harbour yesterday morning...

post-2219-061184800 1294361398_thumb.jpg

first time i have seen one and there was some expensive gin palaces amongst a couple of proper boats...

good luck mate hope it all continues to goe smoothly...

cheers...steve....

Hey Steve I saw that yesterday also, Mine isnt on that one unfortunately!

Hey Steve I saw that yesterday also, Mine isnt on that one unfortunately!

Yours will be docking in PK, all car carriers go there now , Glebe island closed a while ago .

I don't know how come the other one was in Sydney harbour.

I don't know how come the other one was in Sydney harbour.

Wasnt going to the dock on Hickson Road was it? I've seen some boats on crates and equipment on that dock before, but that was atleast 6-12 months ago.

UPDATE:

The boat has been at the warf for a week now and unfortunately quarantine want it cleaned, apparently there were some leaves in it that needed to be removed.

So now, an independent company will need to clean it, then QA will come back and inspect and then I may get the release.... Maybe.

It seemed to be smooth sailing until it got to Austraila! :mad3:

So lesson here is: MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE BOAT THOROUGHLY BEFORE IT LEAVES THE PORT.

Ill be having a word to my agent in the US tonight.

:mad3:

UPDATE:

The boat has been at the warf for a week now and unfortunately quarantine want it cleaned, apparently there were some leaves in it that needed to be removed.

So now, an independent company will need to clean it, then QA will come back and inspect and then I may get the release.... Maybe.

So lesson here is: MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE BOAT THOROUGHLY BEFORE IT LEAVES THE PORT.

I bought a 2601 striper over last year, i used portsea marine in melbourne and they arranged all my cleaning and shrink wrapping in florida, they have a partner in florida who took care of that aswell as built me a aus spec alloy trailer, so they really ensure everything is done right, and yes if any part of your tow rig is over 2.5m then a wide load permit will be required, 2301-2601 are 2.59m beam, the boat will be called HINDSIGHT so come and say hi if anyone sees me at the ramp...

post-8558-009490400 1294908155_thumb.jpg

UPDATE:

Mate it doesn't matter how well she is cleaned in USA , a used boat/trailer combo will almost always need to be cleaned here.

I can't understand why she is at the docks this long though, Customs clear it in a day and Q/T inspect in one-two days, then she should go to the authorised cleaning depot. There one inside the port and two outside. She gets cleaned as per Q/T instructions then re-inspected by Q/T ( you pay another fee to Q/T ) then released.

Hopefully she is released very soon mate then start the work on trailer compliancing and rego.

Hi All,

I submitted my trailer import permit on 23 Dec. My boat will be leaving USA end of this month and it will take 30 days to get here. You guys reckon I will be safe ?

Hi mate, I think you sould be fine. Allow 40 "working" days, if you allow for that then you will be fine.

On that note, the Striper will be delivered tomorow morning. For all you guys looking at theimport option, here is a list of fees you will pay to get the boat of the warf.

Destination Port Charges 10%=77.04 770.38

Customs Clearance / Agency Fees 10%=13.50 135.00

Destination Documentation Fee / PLM fees 10%=11.00 110.00

c.n.a.c. 10%=0.49 4.90

Customs GST Exempt Rated (this is 10% of purchase price + delivery)

Compile Entry Fee Exempt Rated 64.00

Destination AQIS Inspection Fee Zero Rated 229.00

Destination Cleaning 10%=20.50 205.00

AQIS agent fee - (attendant fee) 10%=7.50 75.00

Destination Quarantine Release 10%=3.00 30.00

Wohoo, lets hope its ok after the destination cleaning!

Ill post some pics tomorrow night

Edited by BillyD

mate im excited as you are after reading all that ,thats 1 nice rig,i think all that hard work will be a distant memory come 2morrow for you good luck and will come say hi if see you on the harbour :beersmile:

Thanks Duncan, please do come past and say hello

Did you shrink wrap your boat while shipping ?

The boat was shrink wrapped, however there was a heap of black soot (presumably smoke from the ship that got under the wrap) all over the boat

So she finally arrived!!!!!! and im very happy! post-6621-027960500 1295583092_thumb.jpg

The 2 batteries were dead as the switch was left in the "on" position and there were 2 cushions missing but the broker is happy to come to the party and sort it out for me. A bonus for me what the set of full lock up style Bimini i found in the cabin, i didnt know it had that.

I registered the boat yesterday and dropped her in the drink this morning. She went like a dream! First Click every time, sounded awesome, everything worked as it should!

Im also very impressed with the trailer, the boat tows very well.

Fortunately the whole import experience for me has been a positive one, whilst it took a tad longer than i anticipated and did cost more, overall im very pleased with the result.

For anyone thinking of bringing a boat in yourself my advice would be to make sure you know ALL the costs, buy from a reputable broker/dealer, research brands and bargain hard!

So that sums up my post guys, I hope I have shared some light on what seems to be a popular way to purchase boats in Australia (at least while the dollar is so strong).

If you see me on the water please say hi.

congrats mate shes a beaut

are you going to leave the bimini on this one ??

got any photos of what she looks like inside and what electronics do u plan on sticking in her

lets got and catch some marlin :1fishing1:

Edited by Framedtrash

Very nice boat, so what was total cost of getting boat, purchase, transport etc etc to get it into water here.

Hi Fezza, generally (if the AU dollar is over 95) you will save about 30-40% Worth the hustle I recon.

• 1 month later...

[Hi all, I'm new to this and just got a boat landed myself from USA. 2005 2502 Trophy Pro with twin 135 Merc O/B's. Apart from the trailer issue I am working through at the moment I thought I would give you these facts and figures. Boat cost $35k, shipping and insurance including road freight in USA was about $15k, GST and Aust Port Fees $6500. This boat from what I have seen will sell for upwards of $90k in the right condition and low engine hrs etc.

The trailer is 2.7m from guard to guard so need to modify along with the brake system, lights and hitch. Problem I have is the axles are full torsion setup so they cannot be cut to shorten so possibly looking at new axle set up ($5,500 + hitch and brake mods $1500). I'm still looking at other options but even if I end up doing this option I figure I'm still in front.

Will let you all know.

[Hi all, I'm new to this and just got a boat landed myself from USA. 2005 2502 Trophy Pro with twin 135 Merc O/B's. Apart from the trailer issue I am working through at the moment I thought I would give you these facts and figures. Boat cost $35k, shipping and insurance including road freight in USA was about $15k, GST and Aust Port Fees $6500. This boat from what I have seen will sell for upwards of $90k in the right condition and low engine hrs etc.

The trailer is 2.7m from guard to guard so need to modify along with the brake system, lights and hitch. Problem I have is the axles are full torsion setup so they cannot be cut to shorten so possibly looking at new axle set up ($5,500 + hitch and brake mods $1500). I'm still looking at other options but even if I end up doing this option I figure I'm still in front.

Will let you all know.

Its funny that you say the trailer is 2.7 mtrs wide, are you sure on that? She should be 102" that 2.59 mtrs in our measurments. Is it a Karavan trailer? Ally?

If she is 102" you maybe able to get it to 2.5 mtrs without to much hassle.

Keep in mind the boat is 2.59 mtrs wide, so wide load restrictions will apply .

Nice boat in any case , twin optis?

Unfortunately I haven't seen it yet in the flesh yet, I work FIFO and it was cleared by customs the day I had to fly back to work for another long 23 days. The measurements I'm going from the step son who went and picked it up. I have compared pics of mine against others in Aust and it seems most of the guard line on mine is outside the side of the boat where as the one's selling here the outside of the guard is just in line with the side of the boat so I figure its about 200mm oversize. Haven't looked into the permit thing enough but I figure your right on that, I'm only 5 mins from the boat ramp so might determine it's not worth it yet.

Unfortunately I haven't seen it yet in the flesh yet, I work FIFO and it was cleared by customs the day I had to fly back to work for another long 23 days. The measurements I'm going from the step son who went and picked it up. I have compared pics of mine against others in Aust and it seems most of the guard line on mine is outside the side of the boat where as the one's selling here the outside of the guard is just in line with the side of the boat so I figure its about 200mm oversize. Haven't looked into the permit thing enough but I figure your right on that, I'm only 5 mins from the boat ramp so might determine it's not worth it yet.

How did you manage to get the trailer here? I didnt think trailers over 2.5 were even alowed to leave the port?

The best option when buying a boat from the US is to have a trailer built over there... They can build to our specs quite easily and you wont have any issues.

Also, you mention the boat is cleared but your not there to pick Up? just be careful of storage fees.They can be enormous

How did you manage to get the trailer here? I didnt think trailers over 2.5 were even alowed to leave the port?

The best option when buying a boat from the US is to have a trailer built over there... They can build to our specs quite easily and you wont have any issues.

Also, you mention the boat is cleared but your not there to pick Up? just be careful of storage fees.They can be enormous

The trailer came in on as trailer import and you sign papers declaring you will not sell etc unless it is compliant so you need to modify, I had the boat picked up next day by the step son, yes I was warne about storage fees on the wharfs. I agree, next time I will get the trailer done over there, already spoke to the manufacturer of the one I have and thats what they do.

The trailer came in on as trailer import and you sign papers declaring you will not sell etc unless it is compliant so you need to modify, I had the boat picked up next day by the step son, yes I was warne about storage fees on the wharfs. I agree, next time I will get the trailer done over there, already spoke to the manufacturer of the one I have and thats what they do.

I bet you didn't tell them she is wider than 2.5 mtrs! Not only you can't sell the trailer uncomplied, you agree that you must comply, destroy or export.

I'm still interested to know how wide she is .