Nepean River

Dan1977

G'day

Got up nice and early this morning and decided to head down the river. Idea was to target some mullet for a bit of fun, and while I'm playing around with the float fishing thing I'd take another rod down and toss out a corn bait then put it in a holder with a bell on top. Short of wearing a "save the bass" tshirt I don't mind knocking a couple of carp over the noggin for the good of the waterway.

Anyway the mullet aren't happening after what seemed like a loaf of bread chucked in, I'm preparing to bait my hook with some quality dough prepared earlier when the carp rod absolutely bends over in the rod holder. Grabbed it and then ping..pulled up line only..sinker,swivel,hook, leader all gone. It was a rig still set up from last year and I haven't checked it...you lazy dope I thought. Anyway rerigged the lot, new string of corn on the hook and back in.

Still no mullet, but then the carp rod starts doing some odd things, little dings from the bell, little tiny pulls on the line, I'm thinking eel, then the line slowly goes out and the rod slowly buckles. I grab it and there's some weight - big eel perhaps? Nah I'd say charlie swallowed some of edgells finest kernels and didn't realise the suprise within and once I cranked the reel once or twice he's off zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I've got 12lb mono on this reel and a 10lb leader, so I had to be patient. I've caught big carp before and usually two runs and then it's goodnight, but this guy had other ideas. Battled the big boy for a good 10 mins before landing him.. he went a metre long (the foot in the first photo is 33cms, and the net is 115cms long) and must have weighed minimum 8-9kgs.

Such a shame a large beast like that isn't even suitable as cat food....

Cheers

TG

post-8294-019681900 1289878269_thumb.jpg

post-8294-075059200 1289879935_thumb.jpg

That is awsome.

I am thinking of going down there but have never fished for carp before.

I am only 10 minutes drive from the nepean river so it is not that far out of my way.

What type of bait is best for them.

I hear people say corn kernal.

is that just normal corn or do i have to buy a mixture from somewhere thank you

Newb carp fisherman here

John

Hey there sicj,

yes corn Kernels are great bait for carp fishing,

just your standard kernels you get from woolies or coles will do the job and brand does NOT matter,

basically for carp fishing all you need to do is find a likely area, burley up with a handful or 2 of corn kernels put a couple on a tiny hook with relatively ligth line and leader not too light or you'll get dusted off time and time again but within reason, and cast your bait in the same area you have burleyed and just sit back and wait... it's a very relaxing form of fishing really.. carp have no spines on them at all so handling them is no problem and if you do some saltwater fishing then grinding them up and using them for burley or cutting strips off them and soaking them in tuna oil they make a great cheap effective bait/berley.

hope that helped you a little im sure others can add alot more

G'day

Got up nice and early this morning and decided to head down the river. Idea was to target some mullet for a bit of fun, and while I'm playing around with the float fishing thing I'd take another rod down and toss out a corn bait then put it in a holder with a bell on top. Short of wearing a "save the bass" tshirt I don't mind knocking a couple of carp over the noggin for the good of the waterway.

Anyway the mullet aren't happening after what seemed like a loaf of bread chucked in, I'm preparing to bait my hook with some quality dough prepared earlier when the carp rod absolutely bends over in the rod holder. Grabbed it and then ping..pulled up line only..sinker,swivel,hook, leader all gone. It was a rig still set up from last year and I haven't checked it...you lazy dope I thought. Anyway rerigged the lot, new string of corn on the hook and back in.

Still no mullet, but then the carp rod starts doing some odd things, little dings from the bell, little tiny pulls on the line, I'm thinking eel, then the line slowly goes out and the rod slowly buckles. I grab it and there's some weight - big eel perhaps? Nah I'd say charlie swallowed some of edgells finest kernels and didn't realise the suprise within and once I cranked the reel once or twice he's off zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I've got 12lb mono on this reel and a 10lb leader, so I had to be patient. I've caught big carp before and usually two runs and then it's goodnight, but this guy had other ideas. Battled the big boy for a good 10 mins before landing him.. he went a metre long (the foot in the first photo is 33cms, and the net is 115cms long) and must have weighed minimum 8-9kgs.

Such a shame a large beast like that isn't even suitable as cat food....

Cheers

TG

post-8294-019681900 1289878269_thumb.jpg

Hi tommy g great catch,i use to love catching that size at emu plains nepean river(miss those days).I found they make great bait so do the mullet from that area for saltwater species.Funny i never fished with corn just bread,earth worms and grubs.We use to clear a weed patch and berley daily and the fish were always there waiting for food.Always heaps of mullet there ready to play and red belly black snakes through the summer months

chris

Hi tommy g great catch,i use to love catching that size at emu plains nepean river(miss those days).I found they make great bait so do the mullet from that area for saltwater species.Funny i never fished with corn just bread,earth worms and grubs.We use to clear a weed patch and berley daily and the fish were always there waiting for food.Always heaps of mullet there ready to play and red belly black snakes through the summer months

chris

Funny you say that Chris the point of this mornings sesh was to try to get some bully mullet as I'm down Cronulla way for the next 3 days with the plan to fish Wanda beach for jewies. BTW you still get the occassional red belly don't worry about that. Just think it was the wrong time of the day for the mullet, always find mid morning or mid afternoon best personally. I've fished for carp with worms and bread before just find the corn more effective.

TG