Garfish

Victor78

Hi all

How do you de-bone and prepare Garfish to eat????

any info would be greatly appreciated :biggrin2:

Being from a mediteranian background we were brought up eating small fish such as herring, sardines, garfish etc, i find the best way is to simply fry them up whole till they are nice and crispy and the meat basically just comes clean off the bones otherwise if they are very small they get eaten whole bones and all!

I would imagine deboning garfish would be very much like filleting any other fish although you could butterfly it width ways if u want to keep both fillets joined. These days I only eat fish that i catch and i rarely catch garfish, when i do its only a few and they are awesome kingy candy so they never make it to my fry pan. Great tasting fish though i must admit!

Musty

Hi all

How do you de-bone and prepare Garfish to eat????

any info would be greatly appreciated :biggrin2:

hello,firstly youll need a really sharp knife and a rolling pin.

after youve gutted the fish remove its head.

place the gar on a cutting board with its stomach flaps open.

then roll the rolling pin across its back but not to much force as you dont wont it squashed(the rolling pin is to help break the rip cage away from the backbone).

next you

Edited by austral

next you carefully cut away the ribcage bones on each side starting next to the back bone and work your way out.

now with the backbone, have the fish laying belly up and cut along the backbone angling the knife so that it doesnt miss the meat/ backstrap area., it should be like a V shaped cut when you do both sides..

if all has gone to plan you should have 2 boneless fillets..

hope this helps, im planing to take some photos when i fillet the next catch..cheers..stevo..:1fishing1:

clean the fish, rub in some lime juice, chilli powder, salt and deep fry until the flesh turns light brown...at this stage even the bones are crunchy (extra dose of calcium!).we use it as a nibble and goes well with chivas on the rocks :biggrin2:

Edited by ritchie