Southern Highlands Trout

kyuss

Found myself with an unexpected free Saturday morning so decided to check out a stream that google earth suggested might have trout. Left Sydney at 7.30am and began the 1-2km walk in by 9.30. I was pretty happy to find an access road that got me in quite close. The day was heating up fast so I kept an eye out for snakes - the day and the terrain had a snakey feel about it. Found the stream soon enough and it looked good - free stone base, gin clear water - encouraging. I took my time rigging up and just enjoyed the water on my feet and some shade. I checked the movement of the lure downstream and I was ready to roll. Its funny how the knot has to be on exactly the right angle and on the right part of the lure or the movement is warped. I really must learn that rapala knot one day (I was just using a stock standard rapala tied onto a 6lb leader and 6lb braid. My rod is a skinny 6ft Nitro). So - the long anticipated first cast was upstream into a nice little cascade and some deeper water (up to 1m). The cast dropped perfectly into the breaking water and I waited for the hit... bugger, nothing. Then just as the lure was about to emerge from the shadows a little rainbow hit and jumped three times as I brought it in. Success - a new trout stream found. Now the deal I struck was that I'd be home in time for a late lunch - so I was just going to have afew casts to see if it was worth coming back for a day trip. But... I thought I really needed to confirm that the first trout wasn't an aberration so I decided to fish afew more runs. 10 mins later and I'd caught another two rainbows. I knew it was time to go but I could see a great pool ahead so... yep... 2 hours later I actually did head home.

It was one of those 'shiny' days. Great weather, the stream was alive with life. I saw snakes (thankfully just red bellied blacks), a yabby, heaps of water dragons, king fishers, grey kangaroos, a goanna and the biggest wallaby I've ever seen. I came upon it as I was walking back on the side of the stream. I actually thought it was a dead deer. It was only as I stood above it that I noticed it was breathing... crap! I knew I was in abit of a predicament, it was a male and they dont like being disturbed in their lay. I back tracked and about 2 secs later it jumped up and thankfully bounded away.

Not a bad day. The weekend before I followed in the footsteps of Nanook in the Blue Mountains. If I can get organised I'll follow-up with a post.

post-9233-017091400 1290300308_thumb.jpg

post-9233-009200500 1290300340_thumb.jpg

post-9233-020426900 1290300646_thumb.jpg

post-9233-051146100 1290300678_thumb.jpg

post-9233-065431200 1290300706_thumb.jpg

post-9233-035784100 1290300719_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice write up mate and i love the pics, friend of mine has a property down there at Marulan with frontage on the Wollondilly River.

Ive caught a stack of Redfin in the deeper pools down there but never tried the flowing water for Trout, must give it crack next time i head down for a weekend.

Mick

Nice write up mate and i love the pics, friend of mine has a property down there at Marulan with frontage on the Wollondilly River.

Ive caught a stack of Redfin in the deeper pools down there but never tried the flowing water for Trout, must give it crack next time i head down for a weekend.

Mick

You picked the catchment. I was a little further downstream and on a feeder stream but ive caught trout in the main river before - they are few and far between in summer though - best to try in the spawning months or head up into the head waters where the water is cooler and the conditions better.

Cheers for the heads up :thumbup: Just checked the local area down there on goggle maps, there are a few feeder streams down near his property that are worth a shot at.

Will definatly give them a crack next time im down there!! Summer crowds in sydney rivers are shiting me to tears so some fresh water action over the next few months is on the cards i think.

Mick

• 8 years later...
2 hours ago, bkinsman said:

sorry to resurrect an old post, I'm going to do some exploring in the southern highlands.

any tips on where to look for some streams close to moss vale/bowral area?

On any ordinance maps of the area. You can get them from any good map shop or from CMA. Try the Wollondilly River and tributaries. Don’t forget the season closes in just over a week.

• Like 2