Shimano Combo

what application are the reels for?

the tyrnos has Diecast Aluminium Frame while TLD has Graphite Frame.

if you are going to use a size 30 reel but pul 50lb on it. its better to use tyrnos, but if you are going to use 30lb line TLD is good. it is made of graphite frame, therefore it doesnt corrode. it is light, so it is good for rock fishing when you are battling your fish. but if you are on a boat, tyrnos will be better. it also comes down to price too. TLD is cheaper than tyrnos :biggrin2:

M8 forget the braid for trolling for starters, stick with mono, if your that desperate to use either of those reels for marlin, well good luck. Have seen a TLD virtually fall apart on a marlin and have also seen the drag blown apart on a small stripey around 100kg. Do yourself a favour if your serious about these fish, save some money get a tiagra and a custom rod!

M8 forget the braid for trolling for starters, stick with mono, if your that desperate to use either of those reels for marlin, well good luck. Have seen a TLD virtually fall apart on a marlin and have also seen the drag blown apart on a small stripey around 100kg. Do yourself a favour if your serious about these fish, save some money get a tiagra and a custom rod!

I was never going to use braid on those reels you would be stupid if you did! But i have use the TLd 50s before to catch marlin & i have seen them on the shows using them> How could the drag blow apart? isnt that sort of fishing what those reels are designed to do?

Cheers Grant

I was never going to use braid on those reels you would be stupid if you did! But i have use the TLd 50s before to catch marlin & i have seen them on the shows using them> How could the drag blow apart? isnt that sort of fishing what those reels are designed to do?

Cheers Grant

I've got a Tyrnos 50 and I love it. I've caught solid Mako's on it, SBT (not barrells though). I did get a 50kg SBT on a mates tyrnos 30 and it was beautiful to use. I've used Tiagras and though I'd love a selection of them, the Tyrnos represent great value to me.

I've got a Tyrnos 50 and I love it. I've caught solid Mako's on it, SBT (not barrells though). I did get a 50kg SBT on a mates tyrnos 30 and it was beautiful to use. I've used Tiagras and though I'd love a selection of them, the Tyrnos represent great value to me.

i agree tyrnos has greater value than tiagra. do not use TLD for marlin, everyone says it will fall apart unless you want to get spooled

No they arnt, to cut a long story short. IMHO if like i said you want to catch serious gamefish, invest in a Tiagra. They are designed for it, sure tyrnos catch fish and big ones at that but when it comes to the crunch, they as well as TLD's will fail unless you know how to use the reel and rod and you have an exceptional skipper no matter what size boat. A solid mako is something over 150kg, 50kg is just fish cocktails and a pup at that!

Edited by finin

No they arnt, to cut a long story short. IMHO if like i said you want to catch serious gamefish, invest in a Tiagra. They are designed for it, sure tyrnos catch fish and big ones at that but when it comes to the crunch, they as well as TLD's will fail unless you know how to use the reel and rod and you have an exceptional skipper no matter what size boat. A solid mako is something over 150kg, 50kg is just fish cocktails and a pup at that!

Note that I never said the solid Mako's were 50kg finin, especially on 24, I agree that's no sport at all. I'd present a 50kg Mako something on 4 or 6. Solid to me is also well into triple figures, and it'll never run with the power of a big YFT or Marlin anyway.

On the other hand, a 50kg SBT (bluefin)on 15kg will give any reel a good workout and the Tyrnos 30 did it well. They are a good reel. If only we all had the coin to enjoy a selection of Tiagras the world would be a better place, but to make gamefishing affordable to us peasants, the Tyrnos is good value.