Why All Dunked Reels Must Be Serviced

I found this YouTube link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YLuZZsVut0

I have absolutely no idea what this guy is saying but I guess he's trying to show how a great reel (Shimano Stella) can still perform after a dunking. :thumbdown:

He may not have noticed but I did... bubbles coming out means water going in! A little bit of time and he's going to be sending that reel back to Shimano and trying to explain how it got crud and water inside it.

It doesn't matter how good your reel is or how much its advertising says it's waterproof. If you dunk your reel ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have it completely stripped, cleaned and serviced IMMEDIATELY (don't even keep using it for the rest of the fishing session).

Cheers, Slinky

• 1 month later...

G'day Fritz

To be honest, when I saw this I couldn't stop laughing. What sort of wombat buys a $1000 reel and drops it in a bucket of muddy water... even to try to make some sort of point on YouTube???? :wacko:

But yeah... I wish more people would read it too... it would save a lot of people a lot of money rebuilding reels that have been all but destroyed.

Slinky

• 6 months later...

righto raiders - yesterday was a close call - and may need to take action

Was fishing the harbour rocks yesterday, had my rod n reel in a rock made rod hole - sitting nicely - Penn Spinfisher 850SS

As i was re-rigging, i had my rod n reel lying down on the rocks......then a rogue wave came up the rocks, and swept thru - covered the bottom half of the reel, before my reflexes hoisted it up into the air

it wasnt a massive body of water, but it wasnt a slight splash either - its technically not a dunk, but one could argue, the same damage can be forthcoming

is this a dunk - does this require emergancy action

immediately i sacrificed my water supply, and covered it in fresh water squirting my drink bottle all over it

I know these Penns are built to withstand tough conditions - but where do you draw a line in the sand?

Right now it feels no different - i;ve only used it 4 times, purchased in april this year

I've also heard they are easy to clean etc - where do i look for evidence of such an attack from the posiedon and his aqua demons?

G'day Kulch.

Short answer is yes... it counts as a dunk. If there is any chance at all that water might have entered the reel, spool, any of the bearings or line roller area then treat it as a dunked reel.

Corrosion doesn't happen immediately but it does happen quickly so just because you can't feel any effects right now doesn't mean that your reel isn't being damaged. If any sand, silt or crud entered with any water, it will already be slowly wearing away at the gears in your reel every time you turn the handle... so I'd suggest you stop. :biggrin2:

Penn Spinfishers are simple and tough but still vulnerable. The best thing to do is to strip and service the reel ASAP. If no water got in then the worst that you'll do is service your reel. If any did get in, then you could potentially save a disaster. The bearings and gears are the most vulnerable parts and need to be most carefully checked but be thorough.

Here's a link to the 6500SS tutorial that might help...

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=46299

Cheers, Slinky

hi slinky

do i just use a warmy soapy solution with a toothbrush, then regrease?

will any old grease work? or is there specific fishing grease?

sorry for the questions, its just i cant get to a tackle store today, so hoping the hardware store can supply

Questions is what we're here for, Kulch.

To clean all the old lubricant out of a reel you'll need a solvent... soapy water won't do it. I use White Spirit (available in the hardware store in the same place as Metho and Turps). White spirit will dissolve the old lubricants and you can give parts a brush in the spirit with an old toothbrush.

To clean bearings using white spirit, ideally you should remove the bearing shields (follow the link for info on how to do it). You don't have to remove them though if you don't want to but you'll need to give them a good soak for at least 5-10 minutes either way in clean white spirit, then give them a spin repeatedly dunking back in the spirit. Each time you spin the bearing, dissolved grease and oil will run out of the bearing. When the bearing is free of grease and oil it will spin totally freely.

Put all the parts aside to dry completely before re-lubing.

For grease, you'll need to use reel grease or marine grease. They are specifically formulated for working in water/salt-water environments.

CHeers, Slinky

cheers slinky - i checked link - that is great will use that guide tonight - and will just focus on the gears and bearings

so my shopping list for this arvo is

Small screwdriver set

White Spirit

Marine Grease

Brush

i used to do this as a kid - its slowly coming back to me, and now will be of massive benefit going forward

pehaps the rogue wave is a blessing in disguise!!!

this marine grease is really hard to find - i found them online but i want to do this today

will ****** or super cheap auto have them?

the marinas down my way close at 5pm, and no hardware stores stock it

can i try the generic REEL grease from the local tacklstore

Edit: Auto store has the Shell Nautilis Multipurpose Marine - Looks like its my only choice

Edited by kulch

this marine grease is really hard to find - i found them online but i want to do this today

will ****** or super cheap auto have them?

the marinas down my way close at 5pm, and no hardware stores stock it

can i try the generic REEL grease from the local tacklstore

Edit: Auto store has the Shell Nautilis Multipurpose Marine - Looks like its my only choice

Hi Kulch,

Daiwa reel grease is a good option and pretty readily available. For marine grease, I'd recommend sticking with a well known quality brand... Evinrude and Yamaha I've had experience with. The blue Daiwa reel grease is very similar to these 2. There are plenty of brands of reel grease and as long as it's not some no-name brand you should be fine.

Cheers, Slinky

well some good news

i found some quantum hot sauce, which i have on me, and sourced some yahama multi purpose marine which is due friday

i cant believe i got my old reel (which is had when i was 14) working again - i got underneath last night and secured a loose part and now its working again!!! - i just gotto do the cleaning out business, and i have some other reels i have lurking worth attending - try and get my whole fleet back in tip top order - the penn is the ultimate project

thanks for all your help slinky

Edited by kulch

So i've done it - a service

I stripped the penn - it 100% had corrosion seeping into the main bearing under the spool - its an epic discovery, like finding a tumour in a haystack - i found rust and all this gunk which was 100% purely from the rogue wave............cleaned it in 'white spirit' .............removed all the corrosion - dry and regrease and guess what - the penn feel better than it did brand new.........................its not even making the squeeky noise from the rubbing metals.

Tonigh the Sedona get serviced as that also got hammered by the water...............

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I was down @ BCF at warrawong a couple of weeks ago, checking out some minnows, and a group of 3 young blokes were looking at the reels in the display cabinet. One of them said quite loudly, " Check out that Alvey - why do they still sell 40 year old technology!!! It's old junk!"

I was thinking to myself, well actually it's more like 70 year old technology, based on ancient hand line technology. 

Still, I've got about a dozen different Alvey reels. Only ever had one failure - after it got whipped out of the boat rod holder, when a bungie strap broke, travelling down from cooktown to port douglas about 20 years ago. The reel took 3 hard direct hits to the road (we were travelling at about 120) and by the time we stopped and retrieved it, were sure it was stuffed.  the stainless backing plate was bent on the curve badly, and that was it.

15 minutes on the gunwhale with a small hammer and a piece of driftwood, and she was back in service. Hooked a coral trout with it once we got out there too. 

When we got home I ordered a new backing plate and spindle.  Still have it sitting at my old man's place. 

Don't like these new fancy plastic versions though. Still prefer the stainless backing plates.

I have to laugh at people who think that you need modern technology to catch a good fish.  Hell, even a handline works, and you wont have wasted a grand of your hard-earned.

Every time I hear someone criticizing an Alvey, I just think theyre a big-mouthed wanker who's fishing knowledge could be written in capital letters on the back of a 1c postage stamp.

:fishing1:

I agree with every thing you say except one thing...

These new all plastic reels are lighter and belive it or not tougher. The guy from alvey drove his 4wd over the plastic backing plate to show how tough the material is, he drove over it didn't break it let alone deform it

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...