Tumut Trout Time

mdjnetplay

Spent the weekend camping on a high-country river just out of Tumut.

Beautiful spot. The water was charging through the system with all the recent rain/floods so I thought my chances of success were low.

Got up early one morning and threw a little rainbow trout style shallow diving lure for about an hour.

To my great delight I caught 2 x rainbows and 1 x brown in the hour session. Great little fighters that absolutely smashed the lure on light gear, plenty of acrobatics involved too.

The brown was delicious on the fire that night with some salt and butter. The little rainbows swam off the fight another day.

I think I feel a freshwater fishing bug coming on after a successful first adventure!

To add to the serenity of the scene I had a cheeky platypus playing in the river in front of me... gotta love the high country!

post-14264-029028600 1291845412_thumb.jpg

post-14264-066086000 1291845433_thumb.jpg

The trout fishing has been pretty good up around Tumut the last month or so, If you do want to go up there I suggest staying in Talbingo, take a boat and give the Talbing dam a try, tassies & rapalas are as good as any lure.Having good success on chunky cheese and lemon twist powerbaits off the bank both in Talbingo and Jounama dams, Blowering dam just above Tumut has been producing a big yelas up to 60cm and 15lb marks and Murray cod are being caught redfin are in abundance in the warmer months a few getting caught Ive heard easiest fish to catch here when they are on just humble worms bobbed up and down will get you a feed.

The tumut river is running very fast at present and will do so for weeks to come but its full of pan size trout my last effort seen 18 hook ups for 9 landed and just kept the one a 40cm rainbow.

Beautifull part of the world (GOD'S COUNTRY)everyone should visit this year with the dams so full its not seen all thought often, nearly 20 years ago was the last time. The banks are alive with Kangaroos, Emus and Rabbits with a few wombats and snakes thrown in LOL.