Acma Seeks Views On Vhf Marine Radio Operator Qualifications For Recreational Boaters

Maybe some changes are coming......

Here's link to website ACMA

On this site you can read the discussion paper, make a submission and even take a survey.

If this comes out positive you no longer will have to hold a licence to operate a marine VHF

This is a positive step forward I think.

Maybe some changes are coming......

Here's link to website ACMA

On this site you can read the discussion paper, make a submission and even take a survey.

If this comes out positive you no longer will have to hold a licence to operate a marine VHF

This is a positive step forward I think.

Sorry Fezza but I disagree, if as you say happens and you dont need a licence then all the rubbish and carry on that happens on 27 meg will become the norm on VHF. The reason it does not happen at the moment on VHF is because people do a couse to obtain a licence and understand the importance of using the radio as its supposed to be used. Just my opinion.

Cheers Silvo - Bentstik

Read the ACMA link I put up.

Within the paper, the ACMA looks at the regulatory arrangements for VHF marine radio used by recreational boat operators in Australia and seeks comment on the following proposals:
  1. To remove the mandatory requirement for recreational boaters to hold a marine radio operators certificate of proficiency before communicating in the VHF bands within Australian territorial waters.
  2. For marine radio operator qualification arrangements to be managed by an organisation which has closer ties to the marine community.

There's also a discussion paper in "doc" or "pdf" format to read.

If you don't agree with what they're proposing/discussing then fill out the survey or email them with the email supplied on the link I posted.

To improve a system for the better of safety and education is positive in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Read the ACMA link I put up.

There's also a discussion paper in "doc" or "pdf" format to read.

If you don't agree with what they're proposing/discussing then fill out the survey or email them with the email supplied on the link I posted.

To improve a system for the better of safety and education is positive in my opinion.

I agree with Leo that any change from the current system will be an improvement. If the attitude of EDUCATION is pushed by the respective authorities. If on the other hand it fails, and I suspect it will, then it will become a nightmare for the radio operators at the Marine Rescue Group radio rooms. It must be remembered that all recreational monitoring is conducted by volunteers who have no authority of the law to get skippers to use the channels for what there designated for. Hopefully there will be some form of FREE EDUCATION and that the new system does not fall deeper into the Commercial world of user payers.

Totally agree with Bentstik, at the moment its easy for every tom,dick and harry to get a boat license. Its bad enough putting up with people who have no idea. So why should every tom, dick and harry be given the opportunity to operate a VHF when they cant even skipper a vessel? Just leads to more fools on the radio when you dont need them. MHO

Totally agree with Bentstik, at the moment its easy for every tom,dick and harry to get a boat license. Its bad enough putting up with people who have no idea. So why should every tom, dick and harry be given the opportunity to operate a VHF when they cant even skipper a vessel? Just leads to more fools on the radio when you dont need them. MHO

And it might just be that "fool" that tows you back one day cause you broke down and you used your VHF to ask for help or that "tom, dick or harry" that saves you in an emergency one day.

Education or courses are a great way to help improve radio communications but not everyone will learn or do a course but at the end of the day those people may have their radio on in their boat while on the water and be the ones that save the day.

i did a fishraider organised vhf radio course and it was two half days and a bargan at 120.00 witch went to the volanter coast gard i think

there was a lot to learn and study to pass the test but if i can pass pritty much anyone can :biggrin2:

it gave me a deep resect for what vhf radio is for and all about and the two gents that run the course were top blokes very helpfull with a world off experiance

i think every one should do the course and be proficent with vhf i'm pritty shore everyone puts there radio on channel 16 when they go out side but knowing exactly what to do in an emergency is worth doing the course

thats my opinion and if your to tight to do the course well more fool you

say cure e tay gary

i did a fishraider organised vhf radio course and it was two half days and a bargan at 120.00 witch went to the volanter coast gard i think

there was a lot to learn and study to pass the test but if i can pass pritty much anyone can :biggrin2:

it gave me a deep resect for what vhf radio is for and all about and the two gents that run the course were top blokes very helpfull with a world off experiance

i think every one should do the course and be proficent with vhf i'm pritty shore everyone puts there radio on channel 16 when they go out side but knowing exactly what to do in an emergency is worth doing the course

thats my opinion and if your to tight to do the course well more fool you

say cure e tay gary

That's right Gary, I think we did the MROCP course together didn't we. It is very intensive and I have organised about 5 of these courses for fishraiders in the past few years (over 150 people) and our invigilators were 2 retired gents who have a wealth of experience with Coastguard etc.

I did not actually need the qualification but I did it to show other women that it was possible :biggrin2:

Having said that, I am very glad that I did do it because I learned many things, stuff that women usually leave to the men. I learned about battery maintenance and connections in series or parallel, radio equipment and controls, antennas and faults of transceivers, power supply failures, phonetic alphabet etc etc .......

I know how to use a radio and make an urgency or distress call or reply to one if I had to.

The white paper is interesting, maybe VHF radio carriage will be mandated, maybe MROCP will be only for some, but it looks to me like they are having a political discussion about who will be best to control and monitor it all.

mrsswordie

Hi Guys

I totally agree that VHF radio should require a licence - I replaced the 27meg radio in my boat because of the inane dribble and behaviour on that network. The VHF network is much more professional and I want to keep it that way. Most close to shore boaters also have access to mobile phone coverage and if you are going so far out wide that you drop out of the 27 meg / mobile phone cell network you should have all the proper communication gear such as VHF radio (with the proper licence qualifications ) EPIRB etc. I will probably never need to use my VHF in an emergency but if it ever happens I will know the correct procedures and responses.

I studied the MROCP course over the internet on a online training course - It did take a bit of effort and learning but I was pleased that I took the time to earn the qualification.

(p.s) - I have also made the same comments on the ACMA survey.

regards

Bill