ARTICLE - Beach Worming .......... How I Do It At Forster! by Roberta

arpie

..Can seem to get them up before snapping them.. Any ideas? ....

WHen the big worms dig their toes in, you have to just dig down with one hand whilst the other hand maintains pressure on the worm, WITHOUT actually pulling it (or, as you discovered ..... they break!) Sometimes, you will be pulled down INTO the sand up to your elbow with the hand holding the worm, as you try & dig further down to get past it's head & grab it's neck, to pull STRAIGHT UP (otherwise it will also break!)

Just patience & don't try & rush it.

...That has to be the best report on catching worms ever ,thank you so much ,i am going to give it a go now....

Good one, mate - I hope you get some - it says a lot of $$$!! biggrin2.gif

...Its great to pick up knowledge like this. I'll put it into practice and see how it works out....

Glad to be of assistance! biggrin2.gif I hope you get into some! You have as much catching them as you do targetting fish! MORE fun, sometimes!

Merry Xmas

Roberta

• 3 weeks later...

Roberta,

you will be proud of my efforts. I read your post and took the young fella to the beach today, on the 3rd one we found good sand and away we went. I got a worm on my 4th hit. The young bloke is hooked and we have to meet the tide tomorrow. He swears he will outworm me and I don't doubt it. He went close today with his fingers as we only had one pair of pliers. One worm gave him 4 or 5 attempts with the pliers before disappearing.

Great way to amuse kids in the holidays and potential bait to boot.

Well done Noodles - congrats on your first worm!! Your boy will get one sooner than later - kids are great learners! As long as you don't actually touch them, they can come up HEAPS of times!

catch ya

Roberta

• 1 month later...

hey everyone .... catching worms is one of the easiest thing you will find once you learn how to be patient....i can catch worms on low or high tide night time or day time ..at night you can use ur headlights which is doesn't effect the worms pulling the heads out of the sand ...

the only place you can catch worms from is the main beach (the open ocean) ,

the best time to catch worms when its low tide (the biggest worm i'v caught on low tide was 140 cm and that monster worm)

for any help catching worms just inbox me and i will do my best.

....should i be pulling the worm out when it grabs the head of the pilli or an i just to slow.......

A bit of both, really - tho 'rushing' is the most likely culprit.

Remember, the worm has to actually have the bait in it's mouth!

You must get as much of the worm's head OUT before trying to grab it, by teasing the bait away from it's head as it comes out, making it REACH for it, exposing it's neck to you! The pliers then have to be 'in place' so they just 'shut', rather than broadcasting your intention by bringing the pliers in from the side & trying to shut them all in one go.

As the worm sticks it's neck out of the sand, get the pliers in position EARLY around the neck (BUT NOT TOUCHING THE WORM) then swiftly shut the pliers, maintaining the pressure - assume you have the worm in the pliers!

Practise is the only thing that will catch the worm!

Good luck

ROberta

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.. are you able to give me some beaches where i could find worms? ive tried a few and havent seen any at all.. its very frustrating as i think im going to the wrong beaches.

I live in castle hill... so anything in the northern beaches or gosford way would be good.. even south coast is fine.. thanks

Collaroy has worms. Most east coast beaches that are GENTLY Sloping should have worms on them. If you check them out on a falling tide - the best tip would be if you see other people there, already worming!

cheerio

Roberta

Hmmmm, that is a tricky one -I have probably mentioned something similar myself at times ..... There is some wind on most beaches, most of the time, so I've found that you CAN worm with some wind ........ If it is EXTREMELY windy tho, I think it would just be plain unpleasant or even dangerous to be down on the waterline or in the water ........ So would probably advise against it anyway!

Cheers

Roberta

Hmmmm, that is a tricky one -I have probably mentioned something similar myself at times ..... There is some wind on most beaches, most of the time, so I've found that you CAN worm with some wind ........ If it is EXTREMELY windy tho, I think it would just be plain unpleasant or even dangerous to be down on the waterline or in the water ........ So would probably advise against it anyway!

Cheers

Roberta

OK Thanks for the advice.

Hi Roberta,

You will be pleased to know that i caught my first worm :)

Basically, i was rubbing my stick bag along the water and noticed a fair few worms popping their heads up. it was an interesting site as i did not quiet imaging them to look the way they did.

Anyway, i didnt have a problem making them pop their heads out, i just had a problem being quick enough to grab them. After about 45 minutes i was getting frustrated and decided to get my long nose pliers out of my bag and try it out. It was so much easier with the pliers. I pulled out about 8 worms in 45 minutes. The worms i mainly got were fairly small and 1 decent size. but they were only about 20-30cm.

Do i need to go closer to the water in order to get the bigger worms?

Well done, Frantic! That is terrific! I find it easier with piers, too, especially due to my arthritis - if I want only a couple of worms & take a LONG TIME getting them, I use my hands!wacko.gif I have also used long nose pliers before ...... and find that if you source some plastic tubing to fit the ends of the pliers ...... the worm's head/neck won't get as crushed ..... possibly preventing bust-offs. Alvey make 'worm pliers' that are VERY good. THey have a spring that 'opens the jaws' as you release pressure. Well worth the $10 - they have 'interlocking teeth' on them too 'grab' the worms & make it easier to pull.

The bigger worms usually make a MUCH BIGGER "V" in the sand - as the wave recedes - so easier to tell a 'biggie' from a 'littlie'. They are often right down on the bottom of the receding waves. If you time your trip to coincide with the last of the runout tide, you should access the bigger worms. Keep in mind, that they are at all levels of the beach - just keep an eye out for those 'bigger' Vs. Take GREAT CARE if you are getting down into the wash area - a rogue wave may collect you!mad3.gif

The smaller worms, you can just slide up the hook (and about 5cm up the line as well) and use as a single bait. Leave the tail 'wafting' gently in the water. BIT BREAM HITS should happen!biggrin2.gif

Congratulations on mastering 'the dark art' of Beach Worming!! You will only get better from now on!!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

When you get 'the biggie', make sure that whilst 'holding it' with the pliers ........ dig down below the sand with the other hand, to grab it's body with your other hand. When you have it 'securely' only then start pulling it up with both 'hands' - make sure you pull it up 'STRAIGHT' (towards your nose) or it may well break. Never just pull them up with the pliers - they will surely break, often up at the head!

The biggies we get up here are as fat as my little finger! biggrin2.gif

Good Luck

Cheers

Roberta

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sam

We were pulling worms from the beaches at The Entrance last year, so would assume Terrigal would have them too. I don't think they would be on the beaches within Sydney Harbour - I am pretty sure the beaches need to be 'ocean side' - maybe someone else would know?

Most East Coast beaches that are gently sloping SHOULD have worms.

cheers & good luck

Roberta

• 4 weeks later...

The worms havent seem to be around lately.. im assuming its because the swell is 1.7m and low tide 0.6 when i go?

i think you need to try when the swell and tide is lower than that.. what do you guys think?

Hi Frantic

The swell could definitely be a part of it - I don't think that the level of the tide really matters ..... just so long as you are worming a falling tide (FAR safer than in incoming tide) so the wash is still coming up onto the beach where you are swiping your 'stink bag' & the water still draining the scent back down to the water's edge.

I saw a fishing program just the other week advising people to worm the 'incoming' tide & I thought that was very irresponsible. It can be VERY dangerous, especially if there are swells as well.

I know that when there is 'red weed' in the wash, they are VERY difficult to get.(and the ones you DO get fall apart easily.) If you've never seen 'red weed' believe me, the first time you fish it, you'll recognise it! It floats & catches on your line, so much so that it can clump & prevent the line from going thru the top runner! Very Frustrating!

cheers & good luck

Roberta

• 1 year later...

Another success story - Oslo (a naturopath from Melbourne) was visiting Forster & a buddy contacted me saying he wanted to learn beach worming! We met at the Main Beach & I could see that he had a good eye for detail and sure enough, it wasn't long before Osolo was 'getting heads' and not long after, pulled his first beach worm! He was VERY happy!! He was going to go back to Melbourne & try & find some there!

cheers

Roberta

Good stuff Roberta, getting home to catch a worm on his first lesson is awesome.

Sam, all the small beaches in the harbour are IPAs (Intertidal Protected Areas) and as such, you cannot collect worms (amongst others) from there.

Huy

Edited by quochuy

• 2 months later...