Snowies Fly Fishing

Centrepin

We had planned a 7 day stay at 3 mile dam (Near Kiandra) to fly-fish streams in the area mostly accessing by trail bike and boat.

About 10km’s out of Adaminaby an un-welcomed engine noise was heard.

We declared the engine condition terminal and arranged a transplant through a donor programme.

Set up camp in Adaminaby and reassessed options within 60k’s radius (Fuel limit for my bike).

Situation was not too bad as a lot of water that we would have other wised fished was accessible.

First day we travelled to upper Eucumbene River and it was flowing very high and clear. It was flowing so hard that not a lot of water was fishable except for the areas that once were the still parts of the pools.

Started with dries and found some rainbows about 30cm’s were interested. Continued upstream and saw what I thought was a fish moving in a run. The No12 Humpy was refused so downsized to 16 Adams. This was also refused. At the head of this run a lovely Brown engulfed the Adams.

post-10909-022876300 1294122263_thumb.jpg

Mate came up to view the capture and I told him of the refusals next run down.

He had moved to an attractor pattern across and down and caught a lovely Rainbow about 1.5 k’gs from this run as well as another 2 runs below.

post-10909-096622300 1294122302_thumb.jpg

Decided to stick with the Adams and while the fishing was limited in the fast water it did produce a better class of fish.

Finished the day with 8 fish landedwith 3 around 1.5 K’g. Not Bad.

Next day we decided to do some creek fishing on Nungar Creek.

Wind started Blowing at 25 – 30 K.m / hour downstream and this made fishing very difficult. While no fish were seen it is lovely water and worth another look in normal conditions.

post-10909-059272900 1294122446_thumb.jpg

Set off next day to Fish same water as first day. Half way there weather deteriorated to howling rain and 30 K.m / hour winds. Took shelter in Roadside hut. These are a god send in bad conditions.

Warmed up and returned to camp.

post-10909-057307700 1294122473_thumb.jpg

I started fishing around Providence Portal with Dry and nymph dropper. Wind howling downstream. No interest in the dry and towards the end of the drift as fly was dragging a nice rainbow grabbed the nymph. Thought this was interesting so started fishing double nymph across and down for the first time in my life. Fish were responsive and got a few nice rainbows. Continued to fish till the hail was too hard to continue. Maximum temp this day was 8 degrees

That night was so cold. Did not consider fishing the next day and went for a drive to Kiandra and Cabramurra. (My wife had arrived in her Car)

We were amazed at the volume of snow, would have been 15 cm’s at Cabramurra.

post-10909-074176600 1294122562_thumb.jpg

Last day weather was fine and slight ( 10 - 15 K.m / hour) wind.

Fished around Providence with river levels lower and fishing was much tougher. Had to work hard to get fish to the dries but finally ended up with a few nice fish. This was much the same story with the across and down nymphs. Only a few fish for the day but enjoyed the sunshine and mild conditions.

post-10909-097483500 1294122601_thumb.jpg

post-10909-027920400 1294122622_thumb.jpg

Returned home for Chrissy.

Stay tuned for nest instalment post Christmas. It gets easier.

Great report Centrepin from my favourite part of the world. That snow was awesome, was there as well when it came down and found the lakes to be tough fishing. Used to be quite common for a summer fall, remember it a few times when I lived in Cooma and Dad used to comment on blizzards over Christmas during the construction of the Snowy Scheme.

Did you have a go at Three Mile itself? That little Dam is my bogey lake, one of the hardest I have ever had the pleasure of fishing!

Windy

Great report & pics Centrepin - We dont get to see a lot from that area - makes a nice change. :thumbup: Like to see a pic of your mates Humpy & Adams to help with my fly education.

Cheers

Blood Knot

Blood Knot

Adams

post-10909-060319300 1294190284_thumb.jpg

Adams in small sizes are deadly.

The Problem is they are more difficult to see tha say a 12 Royal Wulff.

Once you have fished them for some time your eyes adjust to looking for them and it becemes a lot easier to see.

Parachute Hopper

post-10909-010572400 1294190299_thumb.jpg

The parachute Hopper is a great general fly. It is accepted when hoppers are not about, like now.

I have found fish take this pattern more readily than other hopper patterns, e.g Knobby, Daves.

While they seen to come up to the fly hook ups with other patterns is much less.

I have done some direct comparisons in runs with other flies and this was always the hopper pattern that out performed

Geoff

Great report Centrepin from my favourite part of the world. That snow was awesome, was there as well when it came down and found the lakes to be tough fishing. Used to be quite common for a summer fall, remember it a few times when I lived in Cooma and Dad used to comment on blizzards over Christmas during the construction of the Snowy Scheme.

Did you have a go at Three Mile itself? That little Dam is my bogey lake, one of the hardest I have ever had the pleasure of fishing!

Windy

Matt,

You are right 3 Mile is the hardest water I have fished, Tassie included.

I nearly gave up on it but have had success the last 2 years.

Need reasonable weather, which is rare, but the rises are great.

Need to determine if they are on emergers or dries.

This is by trail and error.

Emergers have to be sunk well into film. They won't take high emergers.

If you have to gease emergers do it very sparingly.

16 Olive Klinkhammers work best for me.

If they are on dries it is easier.

Pick best looking fish and leave it near them. They will find it.

By now it is getting dark and trick is picking your fly out amongst 100's of others.

If you overcome that it is easy.

16 Adams have worked for me but will betermine what spinners or duns are about.

End of Jan can be on Midge.

Grey midge ball works but depends on the night.

Did not fish this year. Weather was too bad.

Geoff

Great Story Centrepin,

Whats the go with the roadside huts -are they there for general wellbeing of people in the alpine regions?.

The Poacher

Poacher,

The roadside huts are for day and emergency use.

Some were burnt in 2003 fires and have been replaced, like this one " Delaneys Hut.

Code of Huts is to leave dry fire wood.

Huts are not for overnight stay unless emergency.

We went back next day and replenished the firewood.

They are great when they are needed.

Backcoutry huts are for overnight use but you have to pick the right ones.

Some are so rat infested you would not want to sleep the night, but others are lovely.

Geoff