Culburra and Narooma

Hey guys,

Firstly in march im entering a fishing comp down at Narooma then in april we are heading down to culburra...

My linkit says 2010 im still waiting for them to update the 2011 tournament

I was going to go down there and pretty much catch what i can catch with my current gear... Then i went to my local Tackle store, and the guy said, down at Culburra this time of year im nuts if i dont target marlin as they are in peak season at that time of year... He said the most effective way is Catching slimys on a Sabki rig and trolling them slow as possible rigging them with an rubber band and large hook....

For narooma if i want to chase the Magic marlin he sugested that i go for a largeish skirted lure, it was then i picked up a pakula lure...

Now ive NEVER Caught a marlin before ive alwase thought that they were too hard to catch or out of my league.... But this guy in the tackle store has got me thinking.... Is it worth trying? or am i kidding myself??

If so how hard is it to catch slimies on a sabki rig? is there any other way of catching slimies? Is it worth going for the $50 odd Pakula lures? How far out would i need to go to hook into a marlin generally??

My 2 trolling rods re 15 kg numbers one is a shimano backbone on that rod i have a Shimano Tyrnos 20 spooled with 30lb IGFA Mono the other rod is an older Abu Garia with a Slightly smaller somewhat vintage Penn spooled with the same 30lb IGFA Mono

So what do you reckon?? Any thoughts and advice would be helpfull!

Cheers,

Mat

Edited by Laze_About

Hi Matt,

As they say you won't catch them sitting at home, it's always worth a go mate. I've only been game fishing for a couple of years but I've already found out a few things. Game fishing is hours of boredom followed by minutes of madness. But it is addictive!! Secondly if your gears not upto it you are in big trouble. If your serious about it, invest in some good quality secondhand tackle and research as much as you can. Join a club and ask a heap of questions. A day on a game charter is an excellent idea as you learn so much in a short period of time. Possibly even better off doing this first to see if you like it and want to put in the time and money!!

As for how far to travel, most of the fish raised around Batemans Bay lately have been in the 70 to 80 fathom mark, which is a long way from home when the weather gets a bit ordinary. As for lures, they are worth it BUT WHICH ONE'S?? That's a whole different topic. Personally I like fishing which live baits as you described or skipping trolled dead baits. But it all depends on the conditions and what the fish are taking. All I can say is good luck and happy hunting. But seriously jump on a charter with a site sponsor and it will be the best money you ever spend in learning about game fishing. Good luck.........

Dave