New boatie stupidity stories

helliconia

This wasnt my mistake this time, but gave us all a really good laugh. About 10 years ago we were towing an enclosed racecar trailer back to Sydney from Gunnedah. With my mates Hilux we sat on a confortable 90kmh on the flat and up hills as well. After a while we had a bloke towing what looked like a fancy new bowrider type sitting about 6 inches off the back of our trailer, he would flash his lights and get all agitated on the flat sections but when it came to dual lanes going up hill he wouldnt be able to maintain 90 and would pull alongside and then fallback again. After a few kilometers of this we decided just do drop back and let him past before he killed someone. As he passed he gave us the bird with a few choice words and tried to take off, it was then we noticed his ouboard still down and grinding away on the road everytime he hit a bump. When we pulled up at some lights a bit further down the track, we just gave him a friendly wave and kept going!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Wow now thats a laugh, I am quite pleased with the karma that went on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, i think I'm going to get make up a Idiot's Checklist for myself, and have the Wife Laminate it (waterproof it), so i have a list to check before i leave the house, and before we dunk the boat..

1. Bungs in

2. Boat keys

3. Petrol

4. Rods & Reels

5. Tackle

6. fresh water

7. .

8. .

i am sure to hit every one of them at some point......

Seems to be a theme here :thumbup: We're all making the same mistakes.

I have a new one though that I forgot about.

Hooked up the trailer at a caravan park, folded the jockey wheel up but didn't rotate the handle out of the way. Drove off a steep grassy verge onto the road and ripped the jockey wheel handle off the top as the hitch gouged through the rise!

Making do jamming it back in its hole but I guess I should look at a replacement :1prop:

Don't replace the handle - you'll just do it again some time. Buy one of those clamp on wrenches. Very useful for lots of other things as well. In fact, I bought a set of 3 in different sizes at Bunnings for about $20.

• 1 month later...

Went out Sunday arvo to test the motor as it's been playing up on us.

Filled up the fuel tank and took off, after 5 minutes the engine stopped. Let it rest for 10 minutes then tried again, Nothing.

Went to pull the ores out from behind the back seat and realised I put the back seat on the fuel hose.

Umm... Oops.

Well it started fine,

I have heaps but a few of the best would have to be

- On the Hawkesbury a few weeks ago, moved into a nice quiet spot and anchored up. It was nice to get out of the wind, but after an hour we decided to move, reeled in and drove off, turned around a corner and the sunlight got in my eyes so i stood up and put my head down a little and i see that we left anchor out ! haha, but it was all good, the look on my face was priceless.

- Burleying out off Port Hacking in Bate Bay when we decided to move, dove off after reeling the rods in and dove off. Stopped at the next stop and realized i left the berley bucket out and i got caught out the motor and the prop chopped it up.

- Left a rod and reel in the rod rack with a brand new spool of 20lb Sunline Super PE on it, got to the ramp and the spool was empty ! what the f**k, the jighead on the the rod must of got caught on a tree or something.

And being on the water so much i have seen quite a few stupid things from other boaties, one guy in a tinny told his kid (around 8 years old) to jump off the bow and to beach the boat while the boat was still moving ! he jumped off and almost got pulled under the boat but the guy stopped just in time and he was alright..

Try this one guys,

I work over seas and one day I get a call from the son, who has borrowed the boat to do some fishing on JB.

Picture this if you can, son and his mad mate sitting in the boat in the middle of Jervis Bay, good conditions for fishing with water filling up the boat.

SON" Dad there's heaps of water coming into the boat"

DAD " did you put the bungs in?"

SON " yeah just the one"

DAD " ONE!!!! there are three bungs, get your arse back to the ramp and put the other two bungs in"

SON "ok"

He hangs up and I think ok he should be alright now. Wrong

Gets another call from son telling me he cannot find the other two bung holes.

Eventually he found them after a few choice words between the two of us.

He went back out but didn't catch anything.a

Forgot the bung the first time out on my new tinny.

Left the muffs on once.

Here's a simple but stupid one... Couldn't get the pull start going, im at it for 10 minutes pumping the primer bulb, choke in, choke out, have I flooded it? Give it sec, she'll start, maybe there's not enough fuel, nope tanks half full...

After all this... I had my foot on the rubber fuel line and feul wasn't getting to the motor...

Dumbass.

Guest Aussie007

Forgot the bung the first time out on my new tinny.

Left the muffs on once.

Here's a simple but stupid one... Couldn't get the pull start going, im at it for 10 minutes pumping the primer bulb, choke in, choke out, have I flooded it? Give it sec, she'll start, maybe there's not enough fuel, nope tanks half full...

After all this... I had my foot on the rubber fuel line and feul wasn't getting to the motor...

Dumbass.

lmao

• 1 month later...

Ok

Ive been around boats since I was 10 (now 39). Seen a lot and done a lot.

Start with my first stupid thing.

Had a Sea Al Super Skua with a 40 hp( yes crazy for a 13 year old) but I could drive it. Was better with the weight on the back.

Brother and I in a hurry to launch.

Brother: ok unstrap it sit on the front and ill jump on the skids and you can slid off in to the water.

Me: no worries sound good.

I didnt think he was going to do 30km backwards.

Now I was about 15 and weighed about 45-50kg ringing wet (which I ended up)

He jumped on the skids and off i slid with me on the front seat, the pressure wave came over the back and sink it on the spot, not even 1m from the trailer.

There was the boat sitting on the bottom at the back of the trailer me on the front seat.

Little did we know a friend was on the wharf and watched the whole thing unfold. He had the slow claps going as did everyone else on the wharf.

Unfazed I got out and pulled the which out and straight back on to the trailer, plugs out, WD40 and fire her up.

Off we went a little slower into the water this time.

Another cracker.

We left the RMYC Port hacking late one Friday night.

38footer this time.

Chugged out into the middle of the bay aimed for the channel and kept idling chugging/chatting/chugging/chatting/chugging/chatting/chugging/chatting.

Wasnt till someone in the cockpit started yelling where u going.

As I got lost in the bulls@#$t I was talking I forgot that I was driving or wasn’t driving.

Straight into a the coastguard boat ramp.

Made a mess of one of the props.

Friend

Rafted up in southwest arm with about 4-5 boats. All 30+ft.

Come the morning he had to get back to work.

Un-tied the other boats and put the pins down. STILL ATTACHED TO THE MORING THROUG THE BOW STRIP.

Down went the front and around she come.

Dazed and confused he looked back at the other boats with a dozen people laughing.

What are you guys laughing at. Im tied up still, you guys are drifting.

Another friend. A member here.

Cursing along during the night a 23footer with a leg.

Got the markers mixed up and straight onto a very shallow sand bar.

Tore the whole leg off.

He jumped in and pick up the leg in less than knee deep water.

Friend

Was moored and a flash caught his eye in the rear lights at night and after a few he wasn’t quite sure what he saw.

Says to his girlfriend, think I just saw so&so cruse past in the nude.(he had a putter that was tiller steer but the tiller was on the floor and you used your feet) It looked as if he was just standing in the nude chugging along.

5 Min later said friend pulls up in the putter clothed.

Friend 1 says I know ive had a few but did I just see you cruse past in the nude.

YEP says friend 2. It was raining when I left and I only have one set of cloths, so I put them up the front to keep dry.

Me

Tied up at the RMYC at Broken Bay after fishing the comp.

Had more than enough at the club and thought is was time for shut eye.

We were tied to another boat and on my way over the gunnel which my foot clipped/tripped/stagger trip over the gamechair, splat. Face first in the cockpit of my boat.

Lucky I have a nose as it broke my fall and nearly my nose. Blood everywhere.

I can keep going but ill keep some for later.

Edited by Davoo