Blue Mountains fly fishing

cc118

Hi Raiders,

This is my first post, and hopefully not my last.

I left home at 4am and arrived at Lithgow at 6:10am. My first stop was McDonalds, for a quick bite before heading out. I later found out that the sandwiches my lovely wife made the night before, I had left at home.

I usually fish Cox’s river at the Rydal access point. However, with Lake Lyell at 100%, the part of river I use to fish is now a lake.

After a short drive, I arrived at my first access point at Hartley around 7am and proceeded to walk downstream. There were no signs of fish, so I decided to rig up a nymph and fish the bubble line. After about an hour, I came across a deep pool and saw at the corner of my eye, the first signs of fish.

post-13314-006528800 1295780025_thumb.jpg

It was a fish rising further downstream. I repositioned myself and tied on a homemade Royal Wolf. After 2/3 drifts, my fly was engulfed and I was on. After several short runs, out came a fat, healthy little rainbow. She measured 34cm and went back into the drink to fight another day.

post-13314-093181500 1295780244_thumb.jpg

I continued to walk down stream, but failed to see any further signs of fish. It was just after noon when I got back to the car, and decided to try one more spot.

I had just enough time to fish Sandy Hook for a couple of hours as I promised to be home before 5pm. After hiking 2km downstream, the weather changed for the worst and the rain started moving in. There were no signs of fish so I packed up and called it a day.

Hi Raiders,

This is my first post, and hopefully not my last.

I left home at 4am and arrived at Lithgow at 6:10am. My first stop was McDonalds, for a quick bite before heading out. I later found out that the sandwiches my lovely wife made the night before, I had left at home.

I usually fish Cox’s river at the Rydal access point. However, with Lake Lyell at 100%, the part of river I use to fish is now a lake.

After a short drive, I arrived at my first access point at Hartley around 7am and proceeded to walk downstream. There were no signs of fish, so I decided to rig up a nymph and fish the bubble line. After about an hour, I came across a deep pool and saw at the corner of my eye, the first signs of fish.

post-13314-006528800 1295780025_thumb.jpg

It was a fish rising further downstream. I repositioned myself and tied on a homemade Royal Wolf. After 2/3 drifts, my fly was engulfed and I was on. After several short runs, out came a fat, healthy little rainbow. She measured 34cm and went back into the drink to fight another day.

post-13314-093181500 1295780244_thumb.jpg

I continued to walk down stream, but failed to see any further signs of fish. It was just after noon when I got back to the car, and decided to try one more spot.

I had just enough time to fish Sandy Hook for a couple of hours as I promised to be home before 5pm. After hiking 2km downstream, the weather changed for the worst and the rain started moving in. There were no signs of fish so I packed up and called it a day.

Hi caddis, I went to Cox's river on Friday, saw some fish jumped out of water, but didnt get any hit.

Beautiful rainbow, nice work mate!

Edited by ericxue

I've done 2 trips this year ( 7 days, and 6 days) so far to Kanangra/Cox's. Lots of huge Carp in the Cox's- nothing big in Kanangra. Lot's of Yabbies, and the water is absolutely great for swimming in. The river/stream has good flow, and unbelievable amount of insect life around. found hundreds of bright yellow frogs about 10cm in length every night right by the stream. So many March flies that you literally get imprisoned in your tent. I think I also have permanent hearing damage from the Cicada's, and last trip almost got nailed by a massive brown or tiger right at my campsite ( ended up moving to the rocky shore of Kanangra). I'd be very surprised to find any decent trout up there now- the water is just too warm.

I've done 2 trips this year ( 7 days, and 6 days) so far to Kanangra/Cox's. Lots of huge Carp in the Cox's- nothing big in Kanangra. Lot's of Yabbies, and the water is absolutely great for swimming in. The river/stream has good flow, and unbelievable amount of insect life around. found hundreds of bright yellow frogs about 10cm in length every night right by the stream. So many March flies that you literally get imprisoned in your tent. I think I also have permanent hearing damage from the Cicada's, and last trip almost got nailed by a massive brown or tiger right at my campsite ( ended up moving to the rocky shore of Kanangra). I'd be very surprised to find any decent trout up there now- the water is just too warm.

Hi Matt, Thanks for the info. I have never seen a carp in the Cox's. That's interesting. Do you fish anywhere else besides Kanangra? I typically fish the Cox's near Rydal and Farmers creek, and have caught fish all year round even up to 4 pounds. Unfortunately, it's unfishable at the moment.