Which colour braid

rogaramjet

Hi Fishraiders,

I am going to buy 4lb braided fishing line and was surprised at the range of colours. Does anyone have an opinion on which colours if any work best?

I am fishing soft plastics and hard bodied lures in lake macquarie.

Thanks for the help.

Rocco

Mate first off all i agree with florocarbon leader its invisible in the water & the colour braid would be pink or red. Pink & red are the first colours to disapear in water the deeper it goes in the water colomn, something to do with how it reacts with the light in the water.Red & pink become nearly invisible the deeper it goes. Yellow is good to see where your braid is but the fish see it aswell. Green is another good colour but not as visible as yellow. Thats my opinion ask at your local tackle store as they were the ones who put me on to red or pink because i had trouble with leatherjackets in winter one year eating my varied couler braid that was a different colour every 10metres when i bottom bashed. I now use red braid with no more hassles from leaterjackets when chucking lures outside, hope that helps just ask the local boys at the tacklestore cheers

• 1 month later...

Mate first off all i agree with florocarbon leader its invisible in the water & the colour braid would be pink or red. Pink & red are the first colours to disapear in water the deeper it goes in the water colomn, something to do with how it reacts with the light in the water.Red & pink become nearly invisible the deeper it goes. Yellow is good to see where your braid is but the fish see it aswell. Green is another good colour but not as visible as yellow. Thats my opinion ask at your local tackle store as they were the ones who put me on to red or pink because i had trouble with leatherjackets in winter one year eating my varied couler braid that was a different colour every 10metres when i bottom bashed. I now use red braid with no more hassles from leaterjackets when chucking lures outside, hope that helps just ask the local boys at the tacklestore cheers

Thats very interesting. Ive never heard of that before.

Hi Fishraiders,

I am going to buy 4lb braided fishing line and was surprised at the range of colours. Does anyone have an opinion on which colours if any work best?

I am fishing soft plastics and hard bodied lures in lake macquarie.

Thanks for the help.

Rocco

some interesting thoughts placed here.....never really thought about how colours dissappear in the water, silly me.

rocco i use 4lb pink fireline and 4lb green fireline (for bream whiting flatties and squid), i find that the green is easier for me to see in both day and night(under lit bridges) using plastics and hardbodies. the good ol rod length of flouro leader (berkley i use) is a definite i think for plastics fishing tied swivelless to my braid.

just my 2c worth lol

mick

• 2 weeks later...

for the lighter stuff i use 3lb fireline crystal. The fact its white makes it easy to see but also medium vis in water, and for 8lb and 10lb i use a dark green. But in reality its all about what your comfortable with, because thats what generally gets the best results :biggrin2:

The reason for colours disappearing underwater is because water absorbs the colour spectrum as you go deeper. This is dependent on the wavelength/frequency of each colour. Water absorbs the "weakest" colours first, namely the ones with the largest wavelength (and lowest frequency). So the colour spectrum from weakest to strongest is: red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, violet. I'm not sure about pink, but that could be more like violet than red. Anyway you can see from this link http://www.deep-six.com/page77.htm that a red cloth is colourless underwater (rather than invisible).

Anyway in conclusion I don't know if it makes a difference what colour your braid is =P

p.s. You can apply the same ideas to explain why dusk and dawn have a reddish sky. These are the times when the atmosphere is thinnest. Normally the thicker atmosphere of the day doesn't allow red to penetrate so we see the sky as blue =D

The reason for colours disappearing underwater is because water absorbs the colour spectrum as you go deeper. This is dependent on the wavelength/frequency of each colour. Water absorbs the "weakest" colours first, namely the ones with the largest wavelength (and lowest frequency). So the colour spectrum from weakest to strongest is: red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, violet. I'm not sure about pink, but that could be more like violet than red. Anyway you can see from this link http://www.deep-six.com/page77.htm that a red cloth is colourless underwater (rather than invisible).

Anyway in conclusion I don't know if it makes a difference what colour your braid is =P

p.s. You can apply the same ideas to explain why dusk and dawn have a reddish sky. These are the times when the atmosphere is thinnest. Normally the thicker atmosphere of the day doesn't allow red to penetrate so we see the sky as blue =D

Finally a bit of science to this age old question, instead of speculation by a bunch of local fishos :074:

The next one you can solve for us is.... Are fish colour blind?

Finally a bit of science to this age old question, instead of speculation by a bunch of local fishos :074:

The next one you can solve for us is.... Are fish colour blind?

:Funny-Post:

Well are they colour-blind?

A statement I found regarding this issue but according to google their are many opinions on this, the one below I found more to my liking haha

Most fish are colorblind, despite the opinion of many sportfishermen. Fish can see color shadings, reflected light, shape, and movement, which probably accounts for the acceptance or rejection of artificial lures used by fishermen.

I use mainly red braid, no reason in particular. I'm going to try some pretty blue braid soon and maybe that orange one mentioned in an earlier post, only cause it looks good.

The colour of braid really hasn't had an effect on my catches but if I tie directly to braid without a leader my catches did drop, doubt it was from the colour, maybe just the fact that they could see the braid tied to my lure.

More important than the colour of the braid, is the fact it is opaque, making it stand out like d*gs watsits.

What you first want is transluscent/ or better transparent, so that light passes through the leader.

Next is to get as close to the refractive index of the water as possible. As you get closer, the light will pass through the leader in the same way as it passes through water, rendering the leader almost invisible.

Hence braid more visible than (clear) mono, more visible than Fluorocarbon.

(Or so the science says)

regards