Who's Going Wide This Weekend

Guest bluecod

Guest bluecod

Small yellowfin [20kg] are being caught over the last couple of days at 34 07 around the 70 fathom mark. Also a striped marlin was tagged today as well. That's the VHF chat update!

Me and the Cap'n [who wants to remain a lurker - it'll worry me no end if he starts to wear a raincoat] put in about 130 klms of trolling today. Most of the way to Browns and beyond and all the way back in, except for the last five. Did we get a hit from a yellowfin you ask? Did we raise the striped marlin tagged today?

I wish I could provide an affirmative answer to the above two questions but no, if it hadn't been for one lonesome trap, just one lousy stinking rotten trap, we would have been almost fishless.

After trolling around Browns for half a day and in doing so avoiding a couple of whales, we decided to have a bottom bounce using 2 kilo pieces of steel tube for sinkers on what was meant to be break away rigs. Fifteen minutes it took to wind two kilos of steel up from the bottom with the wind pushing us eastwards at about five knots, what fun! More fun was soon to be had, when the Cap'n who had actually hooked something, was straining like buggery to wind his rig in, when all of a sudden, when his quarry was still about 150 metres down, we hear this mini explosion. Yibbidi yibbida! that's right folks you guessed it, the side of his 650H Sealine blew out. The weight was still there, so on with the gloves and handline this thing in for the last 150. Just as I called "colour", the frigging thing wore through the trace and that was that!

Time to put the next part of the plan together, troll home! cause 40 klms to sea in a 15 knot westerly you can't do much better than troll speed anyway. We had two sandwiches each, an apple, a few drinks and I had a couple of smokes, fell asleep twice, BEFORE we got to twelve mile.

Bloody hell the wind dropped off to nothing and it started to look fishy, we stumbled across one lousy rotten trap and as soon as our lures pulled up level, the dolphin cavalry arrived. You beaut, dinner! :1clap: Soon we had 3 healthy dollies in the bag and surveying the scene of the boat's cockpit, which was covered in fish blood splatter, the Cap'n decided to maim his next fish over the side. The Cap'n was next on strike and my rod goes off, the one with my alltime favourite purple and pink McGoo pusher, well a few minutes later he has the dolly alongside, grabs the priest, leans over the side and I hear whack, whack, crack, whack! Crack??? I now have a two part alltime favourite McGoo pusher. :1badmood:

Enough dollies for dinner we head for home and had only gone 200 metres when 3 of the four rods go off a lot harder than a dolly strike. Tuna!!! You beaut, gotta be yellowfin as we had heard they were in close. Only two of us on board so we grab a rod each and leave the third to its own devices, after a couple of minutes I pull out of the fish I was on so I frantically wind the lure in and grab the third rod. God is smiling as the fish is still there, up the drag and into it for a couple of minutes and pull out of that fish too. Well the Cap'n has better luck and stays connected to a very healthy 4 to 5 kilo striped tuna! What happened to the yellowfin we were going to catch today.

Two well know charter skippers were doing a bit of radio chat and we heard the yellowfin were further south, all of a sudden there's this excited yell in the backgound and one of them gets hit and stays connected long enough to a striped marlin to get a tag in. Well Done! I think they were ten miles or so south of us, and there wasn't enough time left to head down that way - that's how it goes I suppose!

A long but enjoyable day on the water with temps ranging from 21.2 to 21.9, seas from a 1.5 metre chop on a 1 metre S.E. swell to glassed out conditions at about 3.30 p.m.

Guest Jocool

WHAT?????...No 'Fin???? You promised us 'Fin! I want my money back! :074::074:

Hey at least you got a feed, and got back all relaxed after your snooze. :1clap: And you got more lures than you started with. Thats gotta be a bonus! :1prop:

Guest bluecod
WHAT?????...No 'Fin???? You promised us 'Fin! I want my money back! :074:  :074:

Hey at least you got a feed, .........

48637[/snapback]

Dress the fish out tonight, whacked it on the BBQ, serve it up to the missus who halfway through the meal proclaims " I don't like this fish, I'd rather a bream" :1badmood:

And you got more lures than you started with. Thats gotta be a bonus! :1prop:

48637[/snapback]

Joe,

I've had that lure for about fifteen years and caught more fish on it than any other lure in my tackle box and now its worn out! :biggrin2: Now I can go and buy some more :05::074:

Dress the fish out tonight, whacked it on the BBQ, serve it up to the missus who halfway through the meal proclaims " I don't like this fish, I'd rather a bream"  :1badmood:

Joe,

I've had that lure for about fifteen years and caught more fish on it than any other lure in my tackle box and now its worn out!  :biggrin2: Now I can go and buy some more  :05:  :074:

48638[/snapback]

Great read bluecod :074: At least you got to go fishing. My day consisted of taking she who must be obeyed :wife: and my 2 daughters shopping. My wife doesn't drive :ranting2: Then had to pick up my son from a school camp. four days without washing mate was he on the nose :fart:

Then I had off season cricket training session with one of the guys from Blacktown grade :cricketuk: shit he bowls quick...

Hopefully get out tomorrow arvo for spin some where.

Cheers

Trev

Guest bluecod

There's some conjecture around the traps that this year is going to be a hummdinger of a season for y'fin - I s'pose we will see how it unfolds

Sorry I missed the day Bluecod.....

Thanks to Stelform Eng for the sinkers by the way...lol

"using 2 kilo pieces of steel tube for sinkers on what was meant to be break away rigs"

What went wrong?...Not that old Diawa again!!!!...that will teach him to not service it

Sounds like a typical Cap'n day mate....He needs his deckies in force to make it happen... :1naughty:

What was the temp and colour like wide off Brown's....that big blow last week spoilt a heap of current lines

Local Lake Macq report... 17 Flathead on Sunday morning ...375 to 870mm all on Kokahoes - chatreous colour. Mate caught 6 nice bream to 420mm on bloodworm coloured sliders underneath the jettys around the 16' yacht club, and another colleague trolled the lake drop offs for 600mm+ green back Tailor

the fin as usual are hit and miss.

i was wide on sunday out of broken bay

marked some bait and was going to come back to it later.

got a couple of 4kg dollies off some traps but that was it.

Guest bluecod
Thanks to Stelform Eng for the sinkers

48877[/snapback]

Norb,

Sinkers worked a treat - only took about 4 minutes to get bottom.

What went wrong?...Not that old Diawa again!!!!...that will teach him to not service it

48877[/snapback]

You could be right about the lack of his reel servicing, though I think that in this case the cast aluminium spindle just couldn't handle the pressure of all that mono trying to get back into shape and the spindle blew apart forcing the end plate off. Now if it was a high pressure cooling stack it may have held up.

Sounds like a typical Cap'n day mate....He needs his deckies in force to make it happen... :1naughty:

48877[/snapback]

Right again about the high quality of his usual crew making the difference

What was the temp and colour like wide off Brown's....that big blow last week spoilt a heap of current lines

48877[/snapback]

Temp at the shelf was 21.9 and water was a reasonable colour, 21.3 at Browns and starting to look green and 21.1 5nm SE of Browns and green

Local Lake Macq report... 17 Flathead on Sunday morning ...375 to 870mm all on Kokahoes - chatreous colour. Mate caught 6 nice bream to 420mm on bloodworm coloured sliders underneath the jettys around the 16' yacht club, and another colleague trolled the lake drop offs for 600mm+ green back Tailor

48877[/snapback]

Perhaps next time we fish LM

Sounds like fun George, did you use the fly at all?

No Ken, had the 10 weight on board but didn't use it - it was already getting pretty late when we came across the dollies