refurbishing old rod

bennoz

HI Raiders

Was helping the old man clean up and found his old surf rod. Its a 3.7m graphite composite in need of some TLC.

I decided to replace all the guides (only 2 were any good) an as i was cutting them off i noticed alot of scratches, chips and scrapes. So i spent a few hours yesterday sanding the old girl back. I tried to get as smooth and even a surfact as possible. Theres still a few deepish ridges but its pretty good.

Now i need to paint the rod.

Does Anyone know what type of paint i need and where i can get it? After doing some research online, seems i need an epoxy paint that comes in a spray can - is that right ? Id go with a gloss black.

cheers

Bennoz

bit of an update:

sanded back as much as i could to get the scratches out and groves even. cleaned up with some turps.

went to bunnings and picked up some gloss black epoxy spray paint. did the 1st coat today and it came up really well.

here are some before pics. ill post some after pics after the 2nd coat:

rod1r.th.jpg

rod2f.th.jpg

rod3d.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

bit of an update. The clear gloss i ordered online took a while to arrive so i gave the rod a few coats during the week. and its come up great - a bit of a Mat finish to what i was hoping for but not bad none the less:

fair improvement to last photos

rod4s.th.jpg

rod5.th.jpg

i added the 1st guide this morning. Never wrapped a guide before and i was going for a blue/white theme (go bulldoggies ). not to bad for a 1st effort. You can probabily tell the bottem half (left) was my 1st attempt. Stupid me forgot to mark where the guides were before i painted the rod... :1prop:

rod6.th.jpg

now for the rest of the guides and then the epoxy over the top and im done...i give it 2 weeks

Edited by bennoz

bit of an update. The clear gloss i ordered online took a while to arrive so i gave the rod a few coats during the week. and its come up great - a bit of a Mat finish to what i was hoping for but not bad none the less:

fair improvement to last photos

rod4s.th.jpg

rod5.th.jpg

i added the 1st guide this morning. Never wrapped a guide before and i was going for a blue/white theme (go bulldoggies ). not to bad for a 1st effort. You can probabily tell the bottem half (left) was my 1st attempt. Stupid me forgot to mark where the guides were before i painted the rod... :1prop:

rod6.th.jpg

now for the rest of the guides and then the epoxy over the top and im done...i give it 2 weeks

you really need to get the guides in the correct spots otherwise the rod wont load up correctly..

if you can put details of what the blank is there is a few good rod builders on the forums that may give you the correct spots for guides..

if not duct tape guides on and see how rod loads up and move them around till satisfied...

i would underbind where guides fit first also...

im no rod builder but just my 2 bobs worth..

cheers....steve......

CHEERS ROOSTERMAN. I know where the 1st Big guide goes...and the last one :biggrin2:

the rod is a 3.7m graphite composite 5-10kg medium action javris walker. Its probabily older than i am.

whats does underbinding do ?

Bennoz,

The underbinds stop the guide feet digging into the blank when it is loaded up.

Regarding spacing of the guides, what is the rod line rating, length and butt set up? I'll give you the spacings. You also need to prp the guide feet bi filing them to a nice gently taper. This will eliminate cracking at the guide feet.

Just read the rest of the post and realised you have given some length details.

Your spacings and guide sizes should be (mm to the next guide size):

Tip

170 to size 10

170 to size 10

190 to size 10

220 to size 10

250 to size 12

270 to size 16

290 to size 20

330 to size 25

360 to size 40 (or 30 depending on reel spool diameter)

Make sure you post pics of the finished product!!

Edited by Cephalopod

• 2 weeks later...

really disappointed...

ended up doing all the bindings, underbindings and it was looking really good. Had the Blue and white mixed in it took awhile to do but came up great

went to bunnings and got some epoxy - i tried to stay away from the quick set in 5min stuff but thats all they had.

Mixed some epoxy up and started to cover the 1st binding... and DISASTER ! :ranting2:

The white thread turned clear and lost all the detail in the binding. On top of that the epoxy started to set while i was still applying the 1st bindng. So the finish was lumpy with no detail.

now ill have to start all over again. I got some propper white binding thread instead of the cheapie white thread i was using. also ordered some flex-coat epoxy online - hopefully can get this rod finished by next week

What epoxy are you using? Bunnings don't carry the right stuff.

You need Threadmaster, Jack Erskine or Flexcoat (there are many others also but these are the most popular).

These are all two part epoxies which are mixed at exactly 50/50. They have a 25 minutes pot lift and are self levelling. They set up in 2 hours and full cure around 24-36 hours. You must rotate the rod on a small rotisserie during the first two hours to eliminate droops and sags. Usually two coats on a spinning rod and up to four coats on a heavy game rod.

The reason your white thread went clear is that you didn't use colour preserver or, NCP thread.

PM me if you need info on where to get these products and for more info on how to use them.

Edited by Cephalopod

cheers ceph

you know what they say - How do you learn... the Hard way !

got my delivery last night of some supplies - propper thread and flex-coat epoxy ( i was using the selleys 5min stuff from bunnings)

did the 1st guide last night, came up a treat. will post some pics later

Edited by bennoz

• 2 weeks later...

thanks ceph, and everyone else for the help

finished the rod last week and it came up a treat. really happy with it.

Put a sand spike on the base of the rod. got a new reel - just a cheapie 50buck 5000size reel with some 20lp braid. Spent last weekend at a mates house on lake maquarie and blooded the "new" rod.

Landed my biggest aus salmon ive ever caught, from frazer beach. weighed in at just over 5kgs. (pic doesnt do it justice :biggrin2: )

Hooked up on 2 more large salmon but they threw the hooks with some great aerobatic jumps in the surf ;)

great fun and the rod handled a treat

here are some pics - sorry for the poor quality (used my phone)

rod7.th.jpg

rod8.th.jpg

rod9.th.jpg

salmon.th.jpg

Edited by bennoz