Rockhopping piscatorial

luderick -angler

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inside today - I bought the Sportex when I was 19, along with the Avon, and I am 60 on Thursday, so it holds sentimental value. I also use it a lot. You aren't the first to ask for a swap or a trade or a sale for the rod :) Wait until I get older and ask me again.

ray-1.jpg

Correct me if im wrong.Photo looks like The Cottages?The fisherman looks like Ray?

I will probably see him through the week, so will pass on your hello. Ray and Harry are down there most days. Harry has banned me for a month as I have been outfishing him 3 to 1 lately. We have good fun.

Always good friendly compitition with the locals and regulars there!Harry can be hard to beat.Well done!!Say gday to them from Daniel and Andrea.We hope to be down later in the year.If Harry will let us stay again! :biggrin2:

Tight lines Dan Thoms.

Sorry to hijack your thread LA, but have you been getting any fish? Went out today and only had two downs. Landed one which went just over 40cms. Might try Little Bay next week and see what's there.

post-11324-079712800 1299140087_thumb.jpg

all good mate a few in the harbour. doughboy has a lot but s lot of unersize fish, boilers at north malabar on the run out was holding 3 - 4 weeks ago. sth maroubra would be good bet next week with the smaller tides if the swell is from the south.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Just wondering what the benefits of using big rods and those centrepin reels is on fishing for blackfish. The other week i caught a similar species, rock blackfish, on a 6'6'' graphite rod on a 2500 spinning reel using green weed on a jig head, thanks for any info,

Huck

Hello,

Just wondering what the benefits of using big rods and those centrepin reels is on fishing for blackfish. The other week i caught a similar species, rock blackfish, on a 6'6'' graphite rod on a 2500 spinning reel using green weed on a jig head, thanks for any info,

Huck

Huckfin

A rod is an extension of your arm. When fishing off rocks and even beaches a long rod is ALWAYS an advantage as your extension is lengthened and you can point your fish where you need him to go, also a light rod as the blackfish are very tempremental and the first sign of weight they will not take your offering.

The alley syle reel, well why spend $200 on an egg beater reel and have to watch where you place it and not be able to leave it in salt water and be weary if you drop it when you can do all those things with an alvey and more. What I love is the art I have learned from palming and playing a fish on an alley reel.

My 5 cents anyway

Huckfinn a long rod is used primarily to keep the line off the rocks as you are usually on a low ledge and may be standing anything up to 15 feet from the edge depending on conditions, it allows control of a surging fish on light gear and better control to keep them away from the ledge when washing up your catch, the long whippy rod also helps in hook setting acting as a shock absorber and lifting line off the water for a long distance strike, the centrepin reels especially the alvey allow a good drift they allow great control to feed and retreive line in a wash and allow you to control the drag when fighting fish in a very simple and effective manner by palming the spool. Good rods available are the Snyder MT4144 and GP3145, the Kilwell 1365 and those great ISO telescopic rods from Korea that extend out to 17 feet (great for a saftey aspect and good action)

Hope this helps

• 2 months later...

GOod to see you getting some fish Royce, out of all my pins the Okuma is the current favourite, they really are a sweet reel for the money and mine is surviving quite well, even after a few years of heavy abuse on the rock platforms.

Matt

Hi ya Matt,

Its my go to pin for the rocks though not technically a pin (i'm being pedantic here) it really is my third favourite after my Trudex mk2 2550 and my limited edition Youngs purist! Then theres the...........I'll stop!

Fancy a fish some time mate they are still thick out the Eastern Suburbs wit ha little bump to colour the water up!

Hi ya Matt,

Its my go to pin for the rocks though not technically a pin (i'm being pedantic here) it really is my third favourite after my Trudex mk2 2550 and my limited edition Youngs purist! Then theres the...........I'll stop!

Fancy a fish some time mate they are still thick out the Eastern Suburbs wit ha little bump to colour the water up!

The Youngs are nice but how do yours go with the salt water, my purist 2040 just couldn't cope with the saltwater, even with a fair bit of attention. The Trudex looks good becasue it seems to have a good paint/plastic finish which may be able to cope with the saltwater ? It's great to see another centrepin fanatic around. I've tried all the other ways of fishing for them and the centrepin is just the right tool for the job. I would love to come for a fish, but where are the Eastern Suburbs :) I am actually up at Yamba for 2 weeks during the school holidays, but later in winter would love to go for a fish.

Matt

Don't forget to PM me as well :) I am still using my Avon Royal which is still fine after 40 yrs. Runs smoothly but has a few dings from a spill or two on the rocks.

Went out Monday arvo, after a Dr's visit. Locals had been there all morning and left as I arrived at 2pm. They both had donuts. I managed two nice fish in the next 2 hours but they were certainly quiet. Water temp had dropped by 3 degrees, so that may have been an issue. Water was clear and saw loads of fish swimming around. Also saw lots of whales within 200m of the rocks.

Stormy you free Saturday morning it looks as though a few northerners may be headed to the doughboy! Interested buddy? Oh and by the way I still got an Avon or three only problem wit hthe Avon was the chrome brass screws in the reel handles bloody salt seized em if not maintained! And thepaint was never as good as Youngs reels! But still a bloody good workhorse and the number one seller was a bit cheaper than a Trudex or Rapidex according to Jim Mitchells Hurstville store catalogue now I am starting to show my age!!!!