Crab

jasper

Question

I caught a few males of these in the last couple of months up in port stephens and a mate of mine reckons they are a type of coral crab that are normally found up north?! I released the ones I caught too as wasn't sure what they were.

mate looks like a large common shore crab and red rock crab. I havent eaten neither but they dont look like they hold much meat.

both species are found around rocky or sandy areas. And the red rock crab is common around reef structure and is very agressive.

Dont think its a spanner crab as they have a curly tail very similair to a yabbie.

Cheers, Predator

Hey gibbo

Knocked one of these off a few years back in the Hawksbury.

Threw it back.

It is interesting though.

Try googling a "Red swimmer crab". or Nectocarcinius integriforms. Your photos aren't quite clear enough.

Even thats only a 90% fit as they have black tips on their claws.

The big tell would be the 4 small antenna between the eyes.

Cheers

Trapper Tom

It's definitely not a Spanner Crab and as Tom stated, it's close to a Red Swimmer but there are still some anomalies.

I have sent the photos to fisheries and requested an ID on your behalf, Gibbo

Cheers

Hodgey

Hi Trapper,

I checked the photos and only 2 antenna

Andy's crab looks the same I often find blue swimmers colors vary depending on where caught ie muddy bottom dark , sandy bottom much lighter and brighter andy's may have been in a muddier area as the one I caught was fairly sandy area.

This may explain the black nippers

Thank you Hodgey for submitting the photos

Cheers

Gibbo

Just got off the phone with the Museum. They have requested a copy of the photos (which I have emailed to them) and they should have an answer for us shortly.

Cheers

Hodgey

This received this afternoon:

Thank you for contacting us here at the Australian Museum. We have received your email and it has been recorded as Australian Museum Enquiry #18055. If you need to contact us about this enquiry, please reply directly to this message keeping the text in the subject field unchanged.

Please note that due to the current high volume of enquiries there may be a delay in replying to you, and where further research is needed, the delay may be considerably longer. We will get back to you as soon as we can.

Thank you for your understanding and patience. Kind regards,

The Search & Discover Team

This mystery is solved ....

Thank you for your enquiry.

We sent your image to one of our marine invertebrates experts and he gave the following identification:

The crab is a Ridged Swimming Crab, Charybdis natator. It's common along the northern coastline and extends down to NSW and southern WA; usually caught in inshore trawls but also in crab pots and sometimes by line. They are edible and occasionally make it into the fish markets.

The Red Swimmer is a different crab (Nectocarcinus integrifrons) from southern Australia.

Cheers

Hodgey