Bass fishing mentor required

PRED-ATOR

Hey FishRaiders,

I live quite close to nepean river and would love to try my luck at bass fishing there with lures. I have never been bass fishing before but am very keen to learn it. I will mainly be fishing there from the land and occasionally from my boat. I have some good finesse/light gear and dont mind buying a few new lures.

What i really want to learn is what lure types work, where on the nepean i should be fishing, what is good conditions for bass and what are the best seasons. Along with how to work these lures.

I would really really apreciate some assistance here.

Cheers,

Stan

G'day Stan,

Let me know if you arrange anything.. Nepean is not all that far from me... Happy to have a land based flick..

I've only ever tried for Bass once... Drove out to Yarramundi in the rain.. armed with a 7'2 rod, and some poppers.

Caught my first ever, Bass ... only a little fella, 20cm... Was about this time last year..

I'm sure there are much more seasoned bass fisherman on here who will be able to help you out.

:1fishing1:

AJ

thanks ALPHABET,

I think i got my self a cicada. its black with rattles in it and it has wings that open up as u bring it through the water. do do you use these? do you crank them? pop them or just wind them slowly along the surface?

With the jitter bugs or cicada lures, i dont usually use a pause. Once you cast it wait for the rings to disperse in the water then a constant slow roll Usually works for me, just be wary you are likely to crap your self if you dont pay attention to the lure and you will get very addicted to the bronze battlers. I caught my first bass on a surface lure and im sure my heart jumped out of my chest!

Edited by bassboy888

So last night, half way home from work. I felt the need to fish.

So I kept going west and realised that I Pred was going to Napean. Decided to meet up and considering I always have my HB's and SP's with me. I thought why not.

Didnt catch anything but now am also addicted to bass fishing :|...

I saw a few bass chasing my popper and didnt know what to do. It seems I got too excited or sometimes I just stopped. But was a lot of fun.

So I am also putting myself up for Bass Adoption to all the Bass-pro's on here.

I have a few poppers and HB's but advice on lures is most welcome.

Will

PS. Pred got a hit but lost is, so im pretty sure he is just as keen.

There is no need to have kayaks to fish the Nepean.

There are some great spots that you can reach land-based and I have pulled some thumpers out of there from the shore.

Where about were you fishing?

I have had a lot of luck walking down past the weir towards the quarry bridge.

We were fishing off the jetty near the boat ramp near the macdonalds in penrith.

The street name was Tench Ave.

We only stayed till dark and then the mossies came out in FORCE.

I have heard of the Weir.

I might give that a go.

I was also wondering what sort of lures work at night (if they work at all)?

Can you still use the normal Bream type lures with the rattle inside, the diving kind?

What about small spinners and poppers?

I have a small green popper and a little larger fluro pink one.

Will

All your Bream lures will work for bass. Staying after nightfall helps your chances, especially with the surface lures. You were saying you were having bass following your surface lure, you choice when that happens is to Keep winding and if they dont hit then, and you keep getting bass following, add a pause or speed up the retrieve if that fails, try a new surface lure or a shallow diver. If all that fails, think out of the box or keep persisting.

Good luck tonight. would love to hear how you go

Hey mate,

I've fished the nepean countless times on my breaks at uni and my mate and me used to take off and fish there till all hours. If you want bass on lures u need to at like 8 pm use dark colored lures black usually. Poppers are good but those cicadas work better than any other lure. Don't cast straight out infront of you try and cast along the bank as most bass will sit at the edge of the bank. So cast towards where you are walking to otherwise u could spook the fish. My friend got one that went 35 and we have both caught heaps around the 20 to 25 mark. The hot seasons are usually the best for the bass there but I'm not 100% sure of the exact months. If you feel like chasing a few through the day personally I think bait works better by day lures are the go during night. Hope you catch heaps good luck.

Reese.

reeseman and bass boy,

thanks for the tips fellas. I went out again last night and headed toward under the rail bridge. I was casting along the bank and got 3 small hits after maybe 2 seconds on the initial drop. I was using one of those cicada lures which have wings. What i was trying to do was immitate a cicada falling from a tree as i could see plenty cicada shells on the tree above the water (trying to match the hatch i guess). all strikes were very small although still made my heart jump out from my throat.

After that it went quite so there i went heading toward the weir and further into the bush looking for smaller creeks in the dark of the night using my phone as a source of light. i found a few good streams but all were very difficult to reach. i then switched to a very small popper which i worked for an hour but still no luck : ( i am determined to get a bass so i will keep trying.

thinking of going down to penrith bass angler shop tonight to pick up another cicada lure ive seen and see how that goes.

can anyone tell me some good landbased spots to be trying from the nepean??

Dam this freshwater fishing is addictive stuff!

cheers fellas

• 8 months later...

Hey Raider's

Its that time of yeafr again and my quest to catch my first Bass will again begin tonight!

I really hope i catch one this year they look awesome and ive never caught a fresh water fish.

Wish me luck! also any tips would be awesome.

Will be going nepean river.

Cheers, Stan

Hey Raider's

Its that time of yeafr again and my quest to catch my first Bass will again begin tonight!

I really hope i catch one this year they look awesome and ive never caught a fresh water fish.

Wish me luck! also any tips would be awesome.

Will be going nepean river.

Cheers, Stan

I got a phone call from Stan asking for a few tips on how to work his cicada as he hadnt any luck so I gave him my directions and he rang back within a minute and had his first bass :yahoo:

I am pretty sure that Stan was excited as he sent me a phone pic and the grin was from ear to ear.

Glad I could help out mate remotely :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

Mate you are a legend.

You are now my fishing counsilor hahaha.

Thanks again Stewy check out my report mate

Now you dont need mentoring just more catching :yahoo: you are now on your way Stan and good luck for the rest of the season.

Cheers Stewy

• 2 weeks later...