Sandblasting, old Alum Hull

LGF

Hi Fellow raiders,

Just a quick question, has anyone had any experiences with sandblasting an old Alum hull?

Im just wondering if it can be done and a rough cost involved with doing this... i have an 4.3mtr 80' Quinny requiring a makeover so as a Winter project was thinking of giving the old gal a strip down, respray! :biggrin2:

Any advise for stripping and repainting an aluminium boat would be appriciated.

Thanks

HC

Hi Fellow raiders,

Just a quick question, has anyone had any experiences with sandblasting an old Alum hull?

Im just wondering if it can be done and a rough cost involved with doing this... i have an 4.3mtr 80' Quinny requiring a makeover so as a Winter project was thinking of giving the old gal a strip down, respray! :biggrin2:

Any advise for stripping and repainting an aluminium boat would be appriciated.

Thanks

HC

Hi there my friend had his done 6 months ago they done a good job cost him about $500

Campbelltown area

Also look up "Soda Blasting". Uses soda crystals just like sand but strips with out damaging the surface so much I believe. The are a few places that do it and some can come to you. Enviro friendly too.

C.

Edited by chrisg

• 7 months later...

I had thick layers of antifoul sodablasted off my 25' keelboat yacht GRP hull. It came out great, just needed a light sand and there was no damage to my 1981 hull. Wasn't cheap and they came to yacht club to do it, but cheaper than having some poor bloke sand that crap off. Very controllable and I can recommend it.

There is also dry ice blasting services but they are very very expensive but less mess.

• 1 month later...

Ive done all my boats with paint stripper and a angle grinder with wire brush attachment

Wont pay money to anyone if I can do it myself

Give it a go mate really satisfying in the end

Cheers

same here, wire brush on grinder, wear dust mask, safety glasses amd thick jeans though, as the wires do break off the brush over time and 'fly'

Dont they what cant tell u how many ive picked outa my arms n legs yeah safety glasses a must for sure

ooooh yeaaah, the things we do to save a quid.

sprayed my tinny with white knight epoxy pressure pack, two coats no primer, came up a beaut. do not let the paint fully dry between coats though, as it will go wrinkly, sticks fine,3 tins did all around the outside of a 10'6 foot dehavilland tinny, didn't spray the bottom though, should have done to make it 'slippery' to the water, get an extra knot out of her maybe

Edited by piratesgold