Scared out of the water by a Bull Shark

iMick

Well it finally happened... I saw a shark while on the kayak.

Keen as Mustard, I had the kayak on the roof of the car the night before, got up at 5:30 and was on the water at about 7ish.

Inspired by Joco's recent Chippo jewie captures, I moved towards a spot in Chippo that I know holds jews, as I've seen schoolies being caught there in the past. On the way to the spot, I worked the shoreline for Bream, when suddenly I saw a large movement in the water. It wasn't quite a splash, more like a slow motion paddle, similar to a carp finin on the surface. Naturally, my eyes are drawn to the spot where the movement occurred, moments later a light grey coloured fin breached the surface about 4-5 metres way from me. The fin breached above the surface about 25cm and stayed above water for about 5 seconds, just enough time for me to require new underwear.

A lot of fishos would have stayed on the water and kept fishing, but not me.... I took straight off to the launch spot like a real pussy.

I'm no marine biologist but I don't think it would have been a big shark, going off the size of the fin, but what about it's mum? It's really freaky being on the water in a kayak on a weekday with no one around and you've just spotted a shark. Next time I'll be bringing my gaff and my Shark Shield with me to Chippo.

There was no way I was going home without making a day of it, so packed up my gear and drove up stream freshwater side of the Georges river weir.

Hot Bass bite today, caught more than 20 and got sick of taking photos. Even caught some landbased while thinking about how to launch the yak. Caught three over 30cm and lost some good fish yak side, most were small fish though.

Check out this unusual tube of Black/Purple S Factor, the guy at the shop reckon that it's not a new formula and that it's maybe a mistake batch or has gone off.... Bass love it.

Cheers Mick.

post-10586-018438000 1297057960_thumb.jpg post-10586-050986000 1297058435_thumb.jpg post-10586-057837500 1297058421_thumb.jpg

post-10586-003961400 1297058208_thumb.jpg post-10586-015268200 1297058242_thumb.jpg

post-10586-084608600 1297058265_thumb.jpg post-10586-023652600 1297058286_thumb.jpg

post-10586-009199000 1297058363_thumb.jpg post-10586-056190900 1297058375_thumb.jpg

post-10586-049978700 1297058388_thumb.jpg post-10586-091203500 1297058398_thumb.jpg

post-10586-090556800 1297058407_thumb.jpg post-10586-082921600 1297058782_thumb.jpg

post-10586-011600400 1297058348_thumb.jpg

Edited by iMick

Sounds bloody awsome to have a shark so far in as chippo :thumbup: Oh and catchin bass and jews so close to my home is cool also :biggrin2:

Amazes me that they come up this far too. Awesome seeing a shark from a boat or even landbased, but from a kayak... not so much. (I just got a cold shiver then thinking about it)

We've really got a good fishery in Chippo. EP, Bass, Yellowfin and Black Bream, Flathead, Jews and Bullsharks. Lot of fun to be had.

Mick

Amazes me that they come up this far too. Awesome seeing a shark from a boat or even landbased, but from a kayak... not so much. (I just got a cold shiver then thinking about it)

We've really got a good fishery in Chippo. EP, Bass, Yellowfin and Black Bream, Flathead, Jews and Bullsharks. Lot of fun to be had.

Mick

Nice Catch Mick.Haha ok so when are we getting the game rods out,il go to the butcher and get some fresh meat haha,i wish you had a pic of it.I like fishing in the yaks with another person for these sorts of reasons.lol you need to carry a standby shot gun now.Will be due for another session soon

Nice Catch Mick.Haha ok so when are we getting the game rods out,il go to the butcher and get some fresh meat haha,i wish you had a pic of it.I like fishing in the yaks with another person for these sorts of reasons.lol you need to carry a standby shot gun now.Will be due for another session soon

Nick I've been thinking about it all day. I reckon a 50cm dead fish bait or a leg of lamb :) under a balloon with some wire leader, and burley up hard and the chance of getting one is certainly there.

It's defiantly comforting fishing in pairs. When I called you this morning I was hoping you were gonna say I'm home I'll be there in 20... I just had this feeling this spot was going to fire for the jews. Yep.. yak session soon, this time the Shark Shield will be on me, plus gaff and maybe spear or stake out pole too. Safety first fishing.

Edited by iMick

WWHHHHAAAAATTTTTT, hehehhe, now thats an experience to remember....

I knew there were BULL SHARKS in Chippo BUT, by the way you described it, it was a whale....

Being that big what does it feed on, such a long way up the river???? I guess kayakers :biggrin2:

Like many have said, time to buy some steaks, cow hearts, livers and go BULL SHARK hunting...

BTW, congrats on the BASS slaughter...

Edited by Joco

I knew there were BULL SHARKS in Chippo BUT, by the way you described it, it was a whale....

Being that big what does it feed on, such a long way up the river???? I guess kayakers :biggrin2:

Like many have said, time to buy some steaks, cow hearts, livers and go BULL SHARK hunting...

I've heard the rumors about Bull sharks in Chippo, but actually seeing one blows your mind. It wasn't that big, but when you're on your own on an early summer morning with plenty of bait fishing around and then you see a fin, it's scary. My heart was pumping and I was blabbering to myself "no no please no" I got to the shoreline and was even fearful of putting my feet in the water. Spooked me so much that I re-launched the kayak south of the Bass ladder.

Surprisingly, I'm really looking forward to hitting that same spot again in the kayak.

Love wild Bass fishing, great fun on bream gear.

Mick

I have reason to believe its the jet Skiiers making up most of its diet :1prop:

Nice catch of bass there iMick, not a bad substitution in my opinion from jews (even though im yet to catch one)

Edited by bassboy888

I have reason to believe its the jet Skiiers making up most of its diet :1prop:

Nice catch of bass there iMick, not a bad substitution in my opinion from jews (even though im yet to catch one)

:Funny-Post:

Thanks mate, gee Bass are an aggressive species.

Don't blame you for getting off the water! I think I would have done the same in a Kayak.

I suspect that something in the S-factor has "gone off". I've had the same happen in a glass jar that I've had on my bench for about 12 months. The jar doesn't seal properly and the sfactor has gone the exact same colour.

I've been using a air tight plastic container lately and haven't noticed it, but had used a similar (Baby custard) glass jar once before as well and the same thing happened. It still works though!

Greg

Don't blame you for getting off the water! I think I would have done the same in a Kayak.

I suspect that something in the S-factor has "gone off". I've had the same happen in a glass jar that I've had on my bench for about 12 months. The jar doesn't seal properly and the sfactor has gone the exact same colour.

I've been using a air tight plastic container lately and haven't noticed it, but had used a similar (Baby custard) glass jar once before as well and the same thing happened. It still works though!

Greg

That's what the guy from my tackle store reckons, it's gone off. I agree, it still works fine.

Mick

OMG! You can have that on your own ....... fishing with sharks!! :1yikes: I haven't met up with any ..... yet & don't particularly want to either! I've seen them come in thu the heads at Forster Breakwall & also saw a 6ft hammerhead up in front of the pub here ..... whilst I've been landbased ..... never in the yak .... yet! WIth a system as large as Wallis Lake, I know they are out there, but hope not to meet up with one!

Wendy (lives up Nambucca way) used to kayak fish there, but one day, coming back in the yak, a reasonably sized shark swam between her & the boat ramp! She was scared sh*tless! She sold the yak & now has a tinnie! :wacko:

Hope you don't see any more men in brown suits!!

Roberta

iMick,

Can't imagine the chill you must have felt when you saw the fin breaking the surface. I've also read through some of the shark reports and stories in another post in this forum.

I bumped into an old-timer while chucking some lures at Chippo at the end of Hollywood Drive. Can't vouch for the authenticity of the story but according to him, apparently Chipping Norton Lakes used to be a bit of a recreational hot spot in the early 1900s and the area at the end of Hollywood Drive used to have fun fairs, etc. Quite glamorous apparently (hence the name Hollywood Drive). And, shark attacks in the area did happen as there were a lot of people swimming in the lake but we don't hear of them anymore because very few people go swimming there now ...

OMG! You can have that on your own ....... fishing with sharks!! :1yikes: I haven't met up with any ..... yet & don't particularly want to either! I've seen them come in thu the heads at Forster Breakwall & also saw a 6ft hammerhead up in front of the pub here ..... whilst I've been landbased ..... never in the yak .... yet! WIth a system as large as Wallis Lake, I know they are out there, but hope not to meet up with one!

Wendy (lives up Nambucca way) used to kayak fish there, but one day, coming back in the yak, a reasonably sized shark swam between her & the boat ramp! She was scared sh*tless! She sold the yak & now has a tinnie! :wacko:

Hope you don't see any more men in brown suits!!

Roberta

Surprising that with your level of yakking experience you haven't ran into one. Be thankful that you haven't seen one, certainly got me out of the water in a flash.

iMick,

Can't imagine the chill you must have felt when you saw the fin breaking the surface. I've also read through some of the shark reports and stories in another post in this forum.

I bumped into an old-timer while chucking some lures at Chippo at the end of Hollywood Drive. Can't vouch for the authenticity of the story but according to him, apparently Chipping Norton Lakes used to be a bit of a recreational hot spot in the early 1900s and the area at the end of Hollywood Drive used to have fun fairs, etc. Quite glamorous apparently (hence the name Hollywood Drive). And, shark attacks in the area did happen as there were a lot of people swimming in the lake but we don't hear of them anymore because very few people go swimming there now ...

The end of Hollywood Drive is where I launched my yak. Amazing story about the history of Hollywood drive.

What you're saying is true: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansvale,_New_South_Wales

Edited by iMick

Awesome read mate. Laughed my butt off with your 'new underwear' call. Well done on the hot Bass session. Interesting batch of S-factor....as long as it works. :Funny-Post:

:) Thanks mate! Yeah the s factor still works

sounds like an awesome session and a bit of excitement too : )

so jealous of the bass you caught im racking my brain trying to even raise one!!

Some times the fish are just not on, my spot is either hot or completely shut down. IMO if there is any truth in the barometric pressure effect on fish theory, It's never more evident with Bass fishing. Keep at it and try blades out... Bass love flash.

Mick