braid to mono knot

hi raiders wondering what is the best LEADER CONNECTION braid (50lb) to mono (100 lb) KNOT..........CHEERS

An allbright knot is the ticket. Double the wraps on the braid side and finish the braid end with a few half hitches.. I been using this for years with no failures. touch wood. Good luck. ted

Been using the FG knot lately. After chasing GT's I'm convinced this is the knot for me. Yeah they take a little longer than your standard run of the mill uni knot but I have never seen one break at the knot before. Even on my whitting outfit with 3lb braid, 4lb leader it breaks at the uni that attaches my lure first. Hmmm might now have to review the lure connection knot!

If you have problems with the finger thing(you'll understand when you youtube the knot) there is a tool you can buy to help you tie it right. I think the secret to this type of knot is the leader is kept as a single strand and no knot is tied into it. This is why it's such a good casting knot and can be tied in ANY line class and never gets caught in the guides. With no doubles to tie either, it's just a single knot thats more like a plat that works on the harder you pull the harder it will lock onto itself.

Greg

Edited by GregL

4lb leader it breaks at the uni that attaches my lure first. Hmmm might now have to review the lure connection knot!

Greg

i wonder if a chain knot will work on 4lb :1prop:

i would go with either the pr or the fg both knots can be tied pretty quickly once you master it. the pr knot requires a bobin while the fg can be tied with no extra tools

tied correctly there never going to fail

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I use 50 to 80lb braid with 100lb mono which i use the PR knot. Cant go wrong with it.

Awesome Knot..The almighty PR KNOT. You might need to purchase a bobbin which helps you tie the knot.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious about these knots.... I've never heard of them before now!! Are these knots only for heavy lines?? ie over 80lb braid and real heavy mono? Can they be tied in lighter line?? I tie a slim beauty in my lighter lines. ( bream bass gear etc) And a Bimini twist to an Albright in my heavier stuff. (30lb braid and 60lb mono for jewies etc) that is the heaviest I fish.. Should I learn these other knots???

• 2 weeks later...

i wonder if a chain knot will work on 4lb :1prop:

i would go with either the pr or the fg both knots can be tied pretty quickly once you master it. the pr knot requires a bobin while the fg can be tied with no extra tools

tied correctly there never going to fail

1 underated knot for sqivels/hooks etc is the grinner knot & only takes seconds longer then a uni!

Learn to tie an FG, and an albright as backup. The bimini double to albright is great too for extra strength. The bimini is &^%$ easy to tie in braid too.

a couple of notes on all of them too-

FG- perfect for running through guides. I always tie a longer leader and shorten it as required due to knots/abrasion. The knot will last forever if tied properly.

Albright- don't bring it back through the guides, it will not last and you'll lose lures on cast. I think it's as strong as an FG though, when not cast through.

Bimini double to albright- the bimini is fine to cast through, but again, not the albright. Even worse in this case because the albright will be twice as thick due to the double. It can even rip guides apart! You also have to make sure that the double is exactly the same length when you tie the albright, or you'll end up with one tight and one loose, and it'll fail like the titanic. The albright can also get trickier to tie as you're dealing with 4 strands of line that all have to fall into place. The other thing is, the doubling of braid can use a lot and get expensive, so you don't want to stuff it up too often. At least keep some old stuff to practice with!

if you want to use a double, then i recommend using the "ted donelan's leader knot" to connect the leader.

super easy knot - ties really small and is ideal for casting.

Aussie plait -> ted donelan's leader knot

super strong and small profile