On The Hunt For Hartail

jewytim

well this was on the 15/5 i justr havent got round to posting....

heres the story have not been in the water for a month and a half as some of you would know have been fixing up my boat. well after the floor was finished i decided to take the 2 girls night fishing for hairtail so we got some pillies and some squid and starlights, put the boat in at patonga at about 6 pm and motored off.

the idea was to fish one bait with no sinker one bat of pillie with starlight directly over the hook and another with squid , these two baits would sit about 2 metres from the bottom. i let about 20 ft of anchor rope out so we would swing a fair bit. Well after half an hour we got some nibbles and these continued for an hour probablly little cghopper tailor then i got a decent hit on the squid and brought up a small hammerhead, the two girls also caught one, then again on the suid i got a good take, leaned into the rod and off she went.......

now all of you will know how funny this was the latch to stop back winding was not working so i was backwinding at a hundred miles an hour as it took off.

after about 40 metres it stopped and slowly i brought about 20 m back and i could feel the weight it was a good fish and i hoped it wasnt a stingray!!!

then it ran again30m came back 10 and went again a total of about 8 runs i thought and hoped it was a jewie but the amount of runs and the sharks caught previously made me think not.

then i started to bring him up and the line was in a diagonal direction towards the anchor rope and im now praying..... then i felt xtra weight and im nearly crying(the rope im thinking) so i stopped kept the line tight and shone the torch in the water there was loose rope on the surface and then i could see the rope going down looseley and a long shadow it was a bloody jewie beauty so i got the gaff and went to the front of the boat and slowly pulled the loose anchor rope up and i was so lucky it was on the losse part enough for me to get to the surface and gaff and thank christ he had enough one more run and i would have lost him.

the girls could not believe how big it was and i think it was a great experience for them to see all of this they were as happy as me....

well as i have said before in a thread this was not caught in any of the known jewie hotspots you can catch them anywhere !!!!!post-567-1117686692_thumb.jpg

Edited by jewytim

• 2 weeks later...