Teasers

Slink

Hi all Raiders ,

I have been heading out around the Fads lately , getting into a few good fish and am looking at buying a teaser. My question is what type to get ? I have seen a few guys with the squid daisy chains and also used the whitchdoctor reflector type when been out wider on friends boats .

Seeing that I rarely head out to browns in my 17 footer is there any huge difference between teasers ?

I am interested to see if a teaser will make any difference in my success . I know that my boat is a great fad but I think that any attraction to a curious tuna , dollie , beaky etc cant hurt . Is anyone else doing this around the fads ? Is it making a difference and what type of teaser are you using ?

Thanks for any feedback , tightlines !!!

Slink, for starters u dont need a teaser for dollies IMHO. If u want a teaser u already have one, in your boat and your engine and if you want also on the music u play on the boat. Dollies hang around floatsam, so why tease them up when they are already there? Throw a bait at them or a livey or hopefully troll one up as a bycatch to Marlin. No need to spend extra dollars on a teaser for dollies! Teasers are primarily used for marlin and tuna. So get that thought out of your mind and spend the moola elsewhere!

Hey Finin ,

I am trying to find the fish that I am targeting ( Tuna , dollies and maybe a stickface ) . That is the hardest part , locating the fish. Sure i know that a single bird can put you onto a fish, and is has, be it lots of stripies which are good fun on light tackle but I cant find the bigger predators. Thats why I have gone for the witchdoctor, maybe a waste of money and time BUT if it gets me that fish which I am searching for then its money well spent IMHO.

I am seeing reports of good fish being caught and its doing my head in, all I am getting is stripies. I am pulling good quality skirts and also slow trolling livies. Thats fishing I know. If you would like to give me any help or tell me how you have been going i would appreciate it.

I will be out there again soon.

Cheers

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

We use an old skirted marlin lure, fairly large, you could get a cheap one new, rigged on

600lb mono, with a couple of large rubber squid rigged at intervals behind it.

You need to keep your eye on it though, cos you dont want a marlin bashing away at it, and nobody

noticing. The idea is to throw him a pitch bait.

Edited by Tim Mc

Pakula witch doctors are a great teaser,

just make sure you dont run them on cable as the men in the grey suit's with the big pointy teeth sometimes take a liking to them. We had one sharked and it came up with teeth marks all through it and a tooth left in it. It made a huge bang when it hit. I have heard of people ripping the bollards out of the back of their boats when they have been sharked and after ours got hit i'd believe it! So run it on 200lb braid or something instead.

Also ive used a bird with a daisy chain of squids behind them and that seems to work well. Birds can sometimes be a pain to get running right if there is whole string of them so i think i prefer one big bird up front then a daisy of squid.

If you had a big crew you could run both but you would want to make sure you can get them out of the water quick smart if you hook up!

Ah no worries slink, pakula witchdoctor. Henderson bird, just an old lure no hooks. Make one of your own. But keep it simple its just another thing to pull in once your hooked up. Also makos like witchdoctors so make sure you adjust your doctor to suit.

Edited by finin

• 1 month later...

Hi all Raiders ,

I have been heading out around the Fads lately , getting into a few good fish and am looking at buying a teaser. My question is what type to get ? I have seen a few guys with the squid daisy chains and also used the whitchdoctor reflector type when been out wider on friends boats .

Seeing that I rarely head out to browns in my 17 footer is there any huge difference between teasers ?

I am interested to see if a teaser will make any difference in my success . I know that my boat is a great fad but I think that any attraction to a curious tuna , dollie , beaky etc cant hurt . Is anyone else doing this around the fads ? Is it making a difference and what type of teaser are you using ?

Thanks for any feedback , tightlines !!!

what kind of angling will you be doing?? will you still be usings lures or do want to use live baits?? I'd definatly suggest a witchdocter for lure's but advise against 1 for live baits 1stly with live bait you need to see the fish at the teaser and with a subsurface teaser this is very difficult yes teaser's work, a well placed lure spread can be very effective particularly when travelling over open water I have experienced 100%hookup rate with lures even2 weeks ago we whent2from2 in the same day with striped marlin but I've had plenty fall of also and as you rarely go out to browns mountain this doesn't matter the prominent species of Billfish caught of Sydney is Striped marlin and you'll see more of these along the continental shelf anyway,Yes teasers work if your fish'n at a fad or not remember the fish need to be at the fad in the 1st place and if they aint there then your just wasting your time anyway so you'll find yourself moving around a bit any way so why not have lure's out even if your live baiting some times(most times) you need to cover a lot of ground before you get to an area that is worth while having a livebait so why not have lures out some of that water could be quite productive just because theres no bait there does not mean theres any fish remember they are pelagic that means they move around...cheers Buddy let us all know how you go.

• 3 months later...

G'day guys,I recently bought a 6 arm holographic strip teaser after running a Pakula witchdoctor for years.The fist trip it had a 10foot plus tiger following it!(Not what we were after).The third trip I pulled it in with teeth marks on the strips from what I'm guessing was a tuna of some sort and the fourth or fifth trip I hung it off the rigger while cubing at Browns and we landed a 70+kg yellowfin.It seems to be doing the job.Can't wait for summer.

Edited by smuggler

• 5 months later...

G'day guys,

Just want to add to the post I did in August.I fished yesterday for marlin for the first time this season with the strip teaser.We dropped a dolly and two stripes(more than we have raised in three seasons with the old teasers).This thing consistently gets fish up,they cost a lot more but are worth the $$$$.

Cheers.

Edited by smuggler