Lake Jindabyne weekend away

Joco

Hit the Jindabyne Lake with family and friends for 3 days 2 nights. Boys weeked away.

Amongst the relaxation, movies, food and drinking, we managed to squeeze a few fishing sessions.

First morning, the weather was perfect, water temp 18 degrees, minimal wind, overcast, patches of rain here and there. Upon arrival i was shocked to see the level of water, which was so high, the usual fishing spots (land based) that were known to me were under water.

My dad threw a couple of lines with power bait, and managed to score x2 Rainbows on Power bait.

p3111278.jpg

I threw on a Rapala Jointed 7cm Lure on a 6lb fireline, 4lb mono line and started working the banks. Fifth cast i got smacked and it shook the Rapala of while jumping in the air. I persisted and managed to crack a BEAUTY, got smacked by a 51cm Rainbow Trout (new PB for a rainbow), it was a whopper, and the action was on. The fish was on speed and jumped half a dozen times out of the water, my heart sank as i had to avoid submerged trees in the water, shrubs, sticks and branches, and the thick green gooey weed. With luck, managed to avoid all the objects and the fish hit the bank. WOOOT WOOT.....

p3111283.jpg

p3111286.jpg

Smoked some trout for lunch then hit the water again.

p3111291.jpg

That night we went trolling on my mates boat. Never went trolling for trout. They wacked on Tassy Devils from one of their 1000 unit collections and i had to be different so i wacked on a Rapala Jointed Shad Rap 5cm Deep Diver. Not even 10 minutes within the troll my line got smacked (which was a surprise) and it was a solid Rainbow around the 45cm mark. Short time later landed a small Brown which i gave my dad to reel in.

p3111304.jpg

p3111297.jpg

p3111308.jpg

What surprised me was the amount of flies, grasshopper, insects, bugs and what ever you can imagine, WAS ON THE SURFACE of the water. The trout had a buffet of creepy crawlies to choose from.

The following day was too sunny but my dad managed to land x3 trout land based using power bait, while my friend trolled again and landed x2 more trout.

I failed to land x2 trout while casting, didn't hook up properly yet again.

p3121311.jpg

Third day was sunny again, trolled for a couple of hours and came back empty handed.

img0494x.jpg

Edited by Joco

Congrats on the new PB mate! :thumbup:

Freshly smoked fish, straight from the water ... :drool: :drool:

Terrific photos too.

Looks like you all managed to find a few fish. Overcast days are prime fishing time, and your session adds weight to that theory. Great to see you reporting on another successful outing mate. Keep 'em coming :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Top report and congrats on the new PB :thumbup: Rainbows that size really go hard on the light tackle :yahoo:

Good to see Jindabyne back at the higher level too, with any luck it may stay up at that level for a while longer.

Windy

Joco,

Those jointed lures sure are producing the goods for you. Great report and pics. Some nice fishing gear you're using too ...

VERY TRUE, the last time i used those jointed lures, i managed to score plenty of flathed, bream and even a mullet...

Good to see that they work both in fresh and salt water....

Hit the Jindabyne Lake with family and friends for 3 days 2 nights. Boys weeked away.

Amongst the relaxation, movies, food and drinking, we managed to squeeze a few fishing sessions.

First morning, the weather was perfect, water temp 18 degrees, minimal wind, overcast, patches of rain here and there. Upon arrival i was shocked to see the level of water, which was so high, the usual fishing spots (land based) that were known to me were under water.

My dad threw a couple of lines with power bait, and managed to score x2 Rainbows on Power bait.

p3111278.jpg

I threw on a Rapala Jointed 7cm Lure on a 6lb fireline, 4lb mono line and started working the banks. Fifth cast i got smacked and it shook the Rapala of while jumping in the air. I persisted and managed to crack a BEAUTY, got smacked by a 51cm Rainbow Trout (new PB for a rainbow), it was a whopper, and the action was on. The fish was on speed and jumped half a dozen times out of the water, my heart sank as i had to avoid submerged trees in the water, shrubs, sticks and branches, and the thick green gooey weed. With luck, managed to avoid all the objects and the fish hit the bank. WOOOT WOOT.....

p3111283.jpg

p3111286.jpg

Smoked some trout for lunch then hit the water again.

p3111291.jpg

That night we went trolling on my mates boat. Never went trolling for trout. They wacked on Tassy Devils from one of their 1000 unit collections and i had to be different so i wacked on a Rapala Jointed Shad Rap 5cm Deep Diver. Not even 10 minutes within the troll my line got smacked (which was a surprise) and it was a solid Rainbow around the 45cm mark. Short time later landed a small Brown which i gave my dad to reel in.

p3111304.jpg

p3111297.jpg

p3111308.jpg

What surprised me was the amount of flies, grasshopper, insects, bugs and what ever you can imagine, WAS ON THE SURFACE of the water. The trout had a buffet of creepy crawlies to choose from.

The following day was too sunny but my dad managed to land x3 trout land based using power bait, while my friend trolled again and landed x2 more trout.

I failed to land x2 trout while casting, didn't hook up properly yet again.

p3121311.jpg

Third day was sunny again, trolled for a couple of hours and came back empty handed.

img0494x.jpg

Gret looking trip, congratulations on your personal best.Fresh trout YUM.

I haven't tasted fresh trout for years :1beer: